1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#241 Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
As for those wilwood's, not the lightweight ones. Just thinking from before when you were talking about the lighter ones to shave weight. Unless I was looking at the wrong ones, those were described as definitely not for track days as the lower weight=less thermal mass=less fade resistance.
i cant find anything but this...

Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Bolt-On Brake Kits

both say race and 1 is superlight and the other not. the not has a huge rotor so now the question, light weight or more braking surface area. not sure if they fit my car because the wrx kit is to new i guess. ill have to do some more digging.

EDIT, links not taking me to the right page, the 2 road race 6 pots are the superlite 6A and W6A.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

here is my thought on the performance.

the wing has a raised lip about 2" high on the back side. im sure the overall height has to be taken into consideration so the air coming over the roof doesnt go above or under the wing and the lip. now from looking at pics of real $1300 wings on this car, it seems to be in about the right spot. will a wind tunnel wing and the car be number 1 on the list? of course. but i cant see any wing actually hurting performance, only just doing nothing at all.

wings also have 1 or 2 jobs. 1. stop rear end lift. this is what the OEM 11 STI wing does and we all know it works. at the nurburgring the car went around in 7:55!!!! and that average speed was only 97 mph. so to me you dont have to be going that fast for a wing to come into play. the 2nd job along with number 1 is to produce down force. these are the big ass racing wings we all see.

now i cant say if this wing stops rear end lift but from just the height of the lip it cant not produce down force if even only a pound or two. the wing also has 3 height/pitch adjustments. on the highest setting the wing is almost like a brick all (looks like a Veyron hitting the brakes and that wing has no lip, just a flat board). i dont care if the wing stands are to low or to high because on the highest pitch setting its gonna hit the wind and act like a parachute! this WILL make some down force. again, im not sure how much and im sure others out there can do better but im not looking to race and compete at the highest level. if i get a little bit of down force at 100+ then my lap times should show a better number then without a wing at all and thats fine with me.

#243 Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
Jsp spoiler is the "San francisco treat" all joking a side, if you like it that's all that counts. I have to say the price was right, and it looks like you took your time on the install. No one can say you do stuff half ass.
lol thanks, i try.

#244 Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
AMS/Wilwood WRX STi Lightweight Brake Kit, Front

Those are the ones I was looking at. You mentioned ams/wilwood before I thought so that's what I searched for. Honesly, I'll probably end up with something like that down the line because I have no plans to road course my car. I'm from MI, I'm all about the drag racing.

-Chris
#245 Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

no i was thinking of this first but after seeing the prices on wilwoods site these are not gonna work.

Wilwood Big Brake Kit Group Buy!

these $1700

the 6A and W6A $2700-2800

#246 Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Please keep these key things in mind with wings:

-All wings add drag
-All drag is bad
-Some wings (good wings) provide Downforce
-Even a good wing can be bad for a car if it's not providing a beneficial amount of downforce for the drag it kicks out

Many race cars take off their wings on courses where they cannot exeed a certain speed (usually in the 130-150mph range) or only have to go straight at those speeds. Downforce is often not worth the drag.

Another key point is that the angle of the wing matters A FRIGGIN' TON! and the correct angle for the wing varies on the speed you'll be going and the aerodynamics of your car. If you're buying a generic piece without an adjustable angle mount, you just bought a useless piece of garbage. If you do not do testing to determine the correct wing angle, you wouldn't even be able to utilize a good wing anyway.

And yes, the 2011 STi wing is SOMEWHAT useful. But not very useful. The last wing like that (the 04-07) was completely without ANY function. The new one is at least capable of actually providing a little downforce. That said, if you think you need a wing like that to go around the ring in 7:55, you're crazy. The wing isn't contributing a large amount to that time. The car isn't going fast enough 95%+ of the time for the wing to even do something on a race course like that with a stock STi's power/weight ratio.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#247 Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Please keep these key things in mind with wings:

-All wings add drag
-All drag is bad
-Some wings (good wings) provide Downforce
-Even a good wing can be bad for a car if it's not providing a beneficial amount of downforce for the drag it kicks out

Many race cars take off their wings on courses where they cannot exeed a certain speed (usually in the 130-150mph range) or only have to go straight at those speeds. Downforce is often not worth the drag.

Another key point is that the angle of the wing matters A FRIGGIN' TON! and the correct angle for the wing varies on the speed you'll be going and the aerodynamics of your car. If you're buying a generic piece without an adjustable angle mount, you just bought a useless piece of garbage. If you do not do testing to determine the correct wing angle, you wouldn't even be able to utilize a good wing anyway.

And yes, the 2011 STi wing is SOMEWHAT useful. But not very useful. The last wing like that (the 04-07) was completely without ANY function. The new one is at least capable of actually providing a little downforce. That said, if you think you need a wing like that to go around the ring in 7:55, you're crazy. The wing isn't contributing a large amount to that time. The car isn't going fast enough 95%+ of the time for the wing to even do something on a race course like that with a stock STi's power/weight ratio.
Boom.

If you look at Kognitions website they have TONS of info on the downforce/drag/hp consumption of their wings at various AOT's as well as span lengths. I know their wing for the WRX/STI will produce a minimum of about 70 lbs of downforce (6* AOT at 60mph) to 1150 lbs (18* at 200mph). Obviously not going to hit 200, but even a modest attack angle combined with 130ish speeds and a 60" span length saps about 20hp and adds a good 55-60 of induced/parasitis drag.

Maybe I'll put their largest wing on my wife's Corolla and see how fast I can get it it up to before/after. I bet I would loose a good 10mph in top speed.

-Chris
#248 Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

dont get me wrong i agree and see the point in all this, but lets face it, i dont have a wind tunnel. i also wont be going to one either. in the end my guess is as good as anyones. also in the end i will have no way in telling if me going around mid ohio for example at 1:35 could be a 1:30 if i threw that $1300 wing on. because id have to spend $1300 to find out and its not gonna happen.

#249 Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Well put

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#250 Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

since i have a FMIC i heard that blocking off the scoop helps pull air through it. not sure if thats true but i did need to block it off! winter around here just makes the engine bay look like crap! blocking it off should help that and since i dont really like the look of a 2.5i hood and i didnt want to spend $100 on the Grillcraft i once again made my own. and with stuff laying around it was all free.

i did the same as the lower grill, used 1/8" steel round bar, bent it into the shape of the scoop, then welded the ends together. then i cut out a piece of plastic and used stainless steel safety wire to secure it to the round bar. i just used the safety wire to punch little baby holes after i heated up a piece with a candle. then i used more wire and more holes to secure the grill stuff to the plastic. because the wire is like 0.030" you cant see any of it and its super strong stuff. last i just plastic dip painted it and done. O, also made 4 tiny holes again behind the block off on both sides of the scoop and tied it down. its pretty stiff! i will use black RTV silcone behind the block off and make it 100% air tight. right now though its like 95% blocked off.

#251 Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I really believe some air is better than no air. I can't see how blocking the top scoop off helps bring more air down below. Sounds like smokers sitting around a campfire and talking physics.

Good job on the block off

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#252 Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

It tends to hold true... Creating a low pressure zone in the engine bay by blocking off the scoop helps draw in more air through any other available openings.

That's partly why I got the hood I did. My vents face backwards so I know between the air pressure under the hood and the air running across it, I'm drawing hot air out of the engine bay (at least more than the stock hood).

Obligatory it's just physics man!

-Chris
#253 Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Makes sense mannnnnnnnnnn (Stoner voice)

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#254 Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

so im not sure im happy today. Blackstone says one thing but my 09 reports say another. am i over thinking this? anyways just wanted to post this up.

my first report on my 09 was with Mobil 1 5w30 and this was the 4th oil change at 9k. the oil before was Mobil 1 5w30, the oil before that was regular Valvoline 5w30 and the first oil change was also Valvoline 5w30. from 9k on ward i only used Redline 5w30.

my new report is obviously at 7k and new Redline 5w40 and this is its 3rd oil change. oil before was Redline 5w30 and oil before that was Redline 5w30.

i told blackstone a lot of tuning went on during this oil; like 20 full throttle runs at least. thing is though some tuning went on with all the 09 oil too.

im just shocked how much aluminium and copper the 11 has as the 09 never got that high. im also weirded out why the Molybdenum is so much lower. i wonder if its the 5w40.

#255 Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not trying to be a smart ass here, but why not stick to the factory recommended weight and brand. Subaru has their own brand of synthetic for 11 and up right? I think there was a write up subaru's performance magazine.

My friend just lost a bearing on his built Evo from running a thicker oil than factory specs.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback

Last edited by blk05WRX; 02-20-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling, damn iPad
Closed Thread