2011 stock airbox mod?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

CoryB is an unknown
2011 stock airbox mod??

Wanting to put an afe drop in filter and leave off the snorkus so I can hear the turbo better. Bad idea? Is there such thing and too much air getting in the airbox? Was thinking about maybe cutting another hole in the side of it to run some piping into the wheel well, which would be two holes on the airbox before the filter...one from the snorkus in front and one on the side. Would this be too much air and mess anything up? Any other ideas for a stock air box mod would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You don't have a silencer to take off.....
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
i think from reading his other thread he is talking about removing the "ram air" plastic duct? i dont think its a good idea, but who knows maybe it will work great?

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#4 Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

NJJer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Wanting to put an afe drop in filter and leave off the snorkus so I can hear the turbo better. Bad idea? Is there such thing and too much air getting in the airbox? Was thinking about maybe cutting another hole in the side of it to run some piping into the wheel well, which would be two holes on the airbox before the filter...one from the snorkus in front and one on the side. Would this be too much air and mess anything up? Any other ideas for a stock air box mod would be great.
Stock airbox with a drop in filter is best. All these "cold air" intakes just suck in hot under hood air.

Datalog your IATs and see for yourself. Hotter air promotes detonation, which will hammer the top ringland. Then guess what, you become a statistic with others here and on the various other boards.

Now before anyone starts that just higher IATs will not kill an engine, you are correct. Add this to other things "going wrong" and they sure help.
#5 Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
please show your logs and make sure the stock air box is plenty warm like sitting in summer traffic. while its plastic it will still heat up. the wheel well is also pretty cool compaired to the engine bay. saying CAI's just suck in hot air is nonsense unless you miss spoke and ment to say SRI.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#6 Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Never mind the fact all that air has to go through a hot turbo to get cooled by the intercooler. The cooler it is before the turbo the better though.

Most cai's nowadays come with a shield that basically seals it into the fender, away from any engine bay air so it's only sucking in air from outside. The one I would get is the KStech if you go that route. If you want to keep it stockish, drop in filter and put the scoop back on. Taking of the scoop maybe let you hear the intake a bit more but I can guarantee it hurt performance a little bit (most likely unnoticeable).

-Chris
#7 Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

CoryB is an unknown
most def. hurt my performance...put the scoop back on and it felt much quicker. The sound wasnt worth the lost power. I did remove the rubber seal on the hood so when the hood closes it doesnt block the scoop from getting direct air from outside. If you look close when you close the hood there is a rubber piece on the hood that actually blocks the scoop from the outside air. Im use its not that big of a deal but now theres nothing blocking the air from entering the scoop.
#8 Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

that might work for you in SC but in ohio and stuff i wouldnt remove the rubber. one trip on the highway in winter salt and your engine bay will be destroyed. my rubber seal is there and i still have problems with salt and crap getting in there.

#9 Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

CoryB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
that might work for you in SC but in ohio and stuff i wouldnt remove the rubber. one trip on the highway in winter salt and your engine bay will be destroyed. my rubber seal is there and i still have problems with salt and crap getting in there.
Yeah I didn't think about that. Might put back here soon as the cooler weather moves in. Iv seen some people post that you can hear the turbo much better when it gets colder out would you say that's true? Also, if I left the duct work for the intake but cut another hole in the side by the wheel well and installed a velocity stack there And had both openings would it mess up the MAF readings or something. Throw something off because of too much air maybe?
#10 Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

NJJer is an unknown
Quote:
please show your logs and make sure the stock air box is plenty warm like sitting in summer traffic. while its plastic it will still heat up. the wheel well is also pretty cool compaired to the engine bay. saying CAI's just suck in hot air is nonsense unless you miss spoke and ment to say SRI.
I don't keep my personal logs. I see enough of them at work every day to not realy care about saving any.

Yes, I meant SRI as you called it. But, most CAI's have metal tubes and those do heat up faster and cool off slower than plastic.

I have tried dozens of intake systems on my truck. In the end, the coolest IATs were with the stock box. Now the box is insulated and also has a plastic insulated tube, not a metal one as most use. M, STI will use the stock airbox, drop in K&N, and will be insulated with the appropriate insulation. Even though the air will get heated by the turbo, every degree lower is one degree less the I/C has to deal with.

I am open to seeing in person if someone has a CAI or SRI and has "cooler" IATs than stock. I make my $ doing this stuff, so if I can learn, teach me.

I don't sweat this car that much that I need to go all out, I have others that I need too though. This is just my DD/beater.
#11 Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Yeah I didn't think about that. Might put back here soon as the cooler weather moves in. Iv seen some people post that you can hear the turbo much better when it gets colder out would you say that's true? Also, if I left the duct work for the intake but cut another hole in the side by the wheel well and installed a velocity stack there And had both openings would it mess up the MAF readings or something. Throw something off because of too much air maybe?
i dont know if thats true, my turbo, tbe, bov, everything is really loud to begin with so who knows. i guess you'd have to have a stock car to find out. as long as you cut the hole in the front part of the box i dont think it would matter. its the back half on the other side of the filter and anything in front or behind the MAF you cant mess with as that can start to mess with things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJJer View Post
Yes, I meant SRI as you called it. But, most CAI's have metal tubes and those do heat up faster and cool off slower than plastic.

I have tried dozens of intake systems on my truck. In the end, the coolest IATs were with the stock box. Now the box is insulated and also has a plastic insulated tube, not a metal one as most use. M, STI will use the stock airbox, drop in K&N, and will be insulated with the appropriate insulation. Even though the air will get heated by the turbo, every degree lower is one degree less the I/C has to deal with.

I am open to seeing in person if someone has a CAI or SRI and has "cooler" IATs than stock. I make my $ doing this stuff, so if I can learn, teach me.
well first they both will heat up fast sitting in traffic. however once moving i have no idea which would cool faster but aluminium pipe cools extremely fast, faster than plastic or rubber id guess since it carries heat away faster. (ever touch metal and rubber in your house at the same temp? the metal isnt colder, its just pulling the heat out of your hand faster.) i know i can drive fast or normal, get out of my car and touch my CAI and its freezing cold. why? because the turbo is sucking in the ambient temp so fast that pipe turns cold really fast. same goes with the composite intake manifold, however once again you let the car sit for a minute, even shut off in your garage for 5 mintues and try to touch anything and it will burn you.

im blow though so my MAF see's cooler temps than the CAI might be able to produce but the piping is still metal. i can go CAI, SRI, and stock, temps are still going to be the same though when on the move at like 65mph on the highway. it will be really difficult to produce the same temps doing WOT runs since the car, clouds, surface temp etc etc will all affect the runs. even if the stock air box could produce a lower temp that wont out weigh the bad design and lower HP you'll see sticking with it on these cars (not your truck).

#12 Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

kcwrxfan is an unknown
Quote:
i dont know if thats true, my turbo, tbe, bov, everything is really loud to begin with so who knows. i guess you'd have to have a stock car to find out. as long as you cut the hole in the front part of the box i dont think it would matter. its the back half on the other side of the filter and anything in front or behind the MAF you cant mess with as that can start to mess with things.

well first they both will heat up fast sitting in traffic. however once moving i have no idea which would cool faster but aluminium pipe cools extremely fast, faster than plastic or rubber id guess since it carries heat away faster. (ever touch metal and rubber in your house at the same temp? the metal isnt colder, its just pulling the heat out of your hand faster.) i know i can drive fast or normal, get out of my car and touch my CAI and its freezing cold. why? because the turbo is sucking in the ambient temp so fast that pipe turns cold really fast. same goes with the composite intake manifold, however once again you let the car sit for a minute, even shut off in your garage for 5 mintues and try to touch anything and it will burn you.

im blow though so my MAF see's cooler temps than the CAI might be able to produce but the piping is still metal. i can go CAI, SRI, and stock, temps are still going to be the same though when on the move at like 65mph on the highway. it will be really difficult to produce the same temps doing WOT runs since the car, clouds, surface temp etc etc will all affect the runs. even if the stock air box could produce a lower temp that wont out weigh the bad design and lower HP you'll see sticking with it on these cars (not your truck).
+1 couldn't have stated that better.
#13 Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Shake and bake is an unknown
i have a drop in k&n and i took my ram air off and it spooled so much faster alot of the begining lag went away.....