2011 Bolt-ons and what to expect? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

thepants1337 is an unknown
2011 Bolt-ons and what to expect?

So I am a complete noob to the scene but have long been interested and am now finally able to get my subaru (big boy job...lol)!. I am planning on getting the 2011 WRX and wanted to know what I should expect out of the following mods (or even if they will work in conjuction...I think they will but who knows, I am a noob):

K&N Cold Air Intake
Cobb catback exhaust
Cobb Access Port

Those are basically what I'm starting with, and was hoping for maybe 20 hp gain from the two of them combined; is that reasonable?, and what would a tune net me w/ just those parts. I was also considering a Cobb downpipe but was a little paranoid about not passing inspection. I know I wont be getting this from bolt on's alone but I have a goal of about 340 whp after I've been putting more money into my car. I plan on getting my WRX in about 2 months time and can't wait to get crackin!

Thanks for any and all advice,
thepants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If you are using a Cobb accessport to tune your car. Then you might want to use a AEM Intake or a Cobb SF Intake. Seeing as how those are the only two intakes that Cobb supports. Otherwise the K&N CAI will probably make your car throw a CEL. Which you would need a custom Cobb pro-tuned map to run a K&N CAI correctly. Eh...just research and read a lot before you jump to fast. The Cat-back exhaust won't do much beyond make a difference in sound. You'd have to go Stage 1 with the intake map or get the Downpipe and go Stage 2 with 93 octane. Which you'll love...

Hint: If you run a 93 octane map.....that means you have to run 93 octane and your engine makes more power.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The 2011's respond very well to the Stage 1 from Cobb. To me, the Stage 2 seems unneccesary for the little bit more HP and TQ you get. Take a look at Cobb's dyno. Going from Stage 1 to 2 only gained 3 HP and 17 pounds of torque. That doesn't seem worth the risk of emissions failure or warranty troubles.

http://accessecu.com/dyno/graph.php?...rgb3=000153000

If I was getting a 2011 WRX I would go with the following.

Cobb Cold Air Intake
Cobb catback exhaust
Cobb Access Port Stage 1

You'll be very happy with that.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#4 Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sadly....I bet the butt dyno notices the 17 ft/lb of torque difference.

Kirt
#5 Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well after some more research, I think I'll be going with the AEM CAI, the Cobb Access Port, and the Cobb Catback exhaust.

I had one other question, on the topic of downpipes. I really want to build my car up with the eventual goal of having big numbers on hp/tq. I am nowhere near compitent yet but as I learn, I will eventually want to go with forged internals and bigger injectors and a bigger turbo and such. With that in mind, for the downpipe is it reasonable to get a catd downpipe or does it only make sense to get a downpipe w/out a cat in it? How drastically is the performance effected by the cat? And will I be able to pass emissions etc?

Thanks again,

I'm just tryin to do all the research I can before I really start working on it.

Thepants!Laugh!
#6 Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
4-5 hp difference. Get the catted one.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, its not as big of a restriction as the actual top part of the OEM Down pipe (DP). It kills a little bit...but normally 5 or less hp if you run a Catt'd DP. I'd rather burn unspent fuel and keep the back of my car a little cleaner with the CAT.

Kirt
#8 Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well. I just spoke with my subaru dealer and was told I couldn't order a 2011 because it's too late at this point and that instead I'll be waiting until pricing starts for the 2012. I was told by the salesman that they will be essentially the same car with different paint options but will I be able to use the bolt ons that I've been looking up for the 2011 model?

I hope so :-/ what do you guys think?
#9 Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Who did you talk to? Faulkner? The parts should match up...I doubt they will redesign the wheel yet without letting us all know about it.

Kirt
#10 Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ahh, sorry for the slow reply. I just moved to the Harrisburg area and was talking to my previous dealer Steve Moyer Subaru in the Reading PA area. I have a VIP program discount through my job and Steve Moyer Subaru will match that and take off another 2%. I haven't spoke with any dealers in the Harrisburg area quite yet.

One question I have about the Cobb Accessport in regards to using the AEM specific tune. If I want to take the car back to the dealer for w/e reason, can I reload the stock tune and be ok? In other words, if I did that, would everything read out clean (for warranty reasons of course)?
#11 Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Just use the revert back to stock option and take off the intake. When you're taking the car back to dealership.

Kirt
#12 Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Depends on what you are taking it in for? They aren't going to scan the ECU for oil changes or even transmission replacement. They really have to look for a change in tune on the ECU and most dealerships aren't going to waste the time.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...