Subaru WRX Forum banner

2009 wrx project

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  synolimit 
#1 ·
This is my first Subaru and over the past few months ive had nothing bad to say about it. Within a month I had to have the subie rumble so I bought a TurboXS catback. You can tell by the welds and thick flanges that this exhaust was well built. Fitment was great but I did have to take of the heat shield on the midpipe. Im probably going to trim it up a little and put it back on when I get the downpipe:) Kartboy ss is on the way along with a wc lathe werks knob. Here are some pics of the catback install.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
They must because I ordered it right off Fred Beans website and it came with the resonator.

I also got a set of Rally Armor urethane mudflaps from RallySportDirect yesterday. They were a little expensive but I figured they would be helpful this winter. They are flexible but seem to be pretty durable. Installation was simple. I took the rear tires off because there wasnt much room to get the third bracket on. Heres a few pics of how they look for anyone whose thinking about getting a set. Ill post a few more tomorrow from the front and back

Attachments

#5 ·
i hate how prices change. that exhaust when it came out from fred beans was $450 to my door.

i ended up getting the regular mud flaps and they work great also. theres a few "jumps" though that i hit sometimes and there getting chewed up from hitting the ground though :(

#6 ·
Man thats a decent price change. Is yours resonated?

If your ever going to get another set check out the urethane ones. Doesnt look they they will get chewed up from hitting any "jumps"!Thumbs Up I was going to post a few more pics so everyone could see them from a distance but its raining here today so my camera wouldnt take a good picture.

Im expecting a kartboy ss along with front and rear bushings tomorrow. Anyone have any tips for 08+ ss & bushing installs? Ive already found a few good threads but any little tips would be great.

#8 ·
Man thats a decent price change. Is yours resonated?

If your ever going to get another set check out the urethane ones. Doesnt look they they will get chewed up from hitting any "jumps"!Thumbs Up I was going to post a few more pics so everyone could see them from a distance but its raining here today so my camera wouldnt take a good picture.
nope, strait through.

there only a little scuffed up. rubbing anything on the ground will do that unfortunately.

be careful on the SS install. the plastic around the e-brake is clipped in and its very very tight. when you pull up on it, it will give way and shoot up. the e-brake metal around the handle has sharp metal things sticking out!! very dangerous. my finger tips were under the plastic when trying to pull. it gave way and torn my one nail clean off and took a huge chunk of skin out of another!

#9 ·
They must have decided to go resonated to help cut down on drone.

Alright cool thanks. and ill be sure to watch my fingers on that e-brake! Ill most likely get to it this weekend so ill post a few pics and let everyone know how it went for anyone looking to do a SS in the future.

#12 ·
I am ordering an invidia catless downpipe and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice about going stage 2. Im contemplating on whether i should order the downpipe, grimmspeed 3 port bcs and get it tuned by bren tuning or wait and order the process west tmic along with those parts and in the mean time ill just get a stage 1 tune and aem intake. What are your thoughts? thanks

#13 ·
If you really intend to get the different TMIC, it's worth the wait to get tuned for it as well. Dyno tunes in my area are about $400, and that seems like a pretty average price for a dyno tune anywhere. You can get e-tunes and road tunes for cheaper though. Anyway, If it takes some extra time to save up for it, you can just leave the car the way it is for a bit and then get it all tuned at once. I assume you're going to use an Access Port if you're flashing to stage 1, in which case you can do that and wait to save for the DP, 3PBCS, TMIC, and tune all at once. It's all up to you, but I would get a protune with all the parts at the same time so you don't spend that money more than once.

#17 ·
Ive had the turbo xs catback for the sedan for about a year now and i have nothing bad to say about it. Big flanges, nice welds and sounds great. I'm getting the 3port bcs because the stock unit doesn't work as well with the higher boost levels of stage 2. As for the downpipe I'm still deciding which one to get(catted or catless) but the reason for getting one is to go stage 2 for more power

#18 ·
Just make sure you get a custom tune with that 3port BCS and if you've got emission testing in your area or ever plan on living in an area that does get the catted DP if not enjoy your extra 10hp and few$$ in your pocket and get the catless!

#20 ·
nothing, they both come with new gaskets. however i only use a OEM gasket for the turbo to DP. some DP's give you the crappiest gaskets made. dont use them, they look like grey material sandwiched between two metal sheets that have lots of little holes in them. use ply gaskets like OEM or grimmspeed sells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.