2008 wrx turbo question. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

athauser11 is an unknown
2008 wrx turbo question.

A guy near me is selling a tomioka 18g for 500.he had it on his 07 and said it would fit on my car. A direct bolt on? Can this turbo push me to 400hp? And I'm already stage to and yes i know I will need supporting mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by athauser11 View Post
A guy near me is selling a tomioka 18g for 500.he had it on his 07 and said it would fit on my car. A direct bolt on? Can this turbo push me to 400hp? And I'm already stage to and yes i know I will need supporting mods.
400 crank hp (meaningless number), yes. 400 wheel hp, no.
#3 Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

athauser11 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
400 crank hp (meaningless number), yes. 400 wheel hp, no.
so will that turbo fit on my car without box modifications
#4 Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I really worry about answering questions like this. You clearly know some stuff about WRX modification but you're also asking extremely basic questions. On top of that, you have vague goals like "400 hp". I'm concerned you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Do I explain whp vs bhp and how "a number" means very little when it comes to how your car performs? Do I verify you actually know what all the supporting mods are for a turbo like that on a daily driver (namely a new transmission)? Do I talk about how '18G' is a very generic description of a turbo and you're going to need more details (housing, layout, inlet size, manufacturer)? Do I assume "bolt on" means you want to keep your stock turbo layout or do "supporting mods" include exhaust and intake piping to change turbo layouts? There's all kinds of wonderful stuff to talk about with used turbos too.

I'm sorry to be an ass, I would in all seriousness like to know the kind of feedback you were looking for.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I really worry about answering questions like this. You clearly know some stuff about WRX modification but you're also asking extremely basic questions. On top of that, you have vague goals like "400 hp". I'm concerned you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Do I explain whp vs bhp and how "a number" means very little when it comes to how your car performs? Do I verify you actually know what all the supporting mods are for a turbo like that on a daily driver (namely a new transmission)? Do I talk about how '18G' is a very generic description of a turbo and you're going to need more details (housing, layout, inlet size, manufacturer)? There's all kinds of wonderful stuff to talk about with used turbos too.

I'm sorry to be an ass, I would in all seriousness like to know the kind of feedback you were looking for.
Guess who I am in this thread:

Need help with turbo ideas - NASIOC

#6 Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
^^ he has an 08 so his tranny will be fine with that 18g. He said its a tomioka so I assume its a td05 8cm. If the original owner had it on an 07 then it won't fit without modification, the TMIC layout is differant.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#7 Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Guess who I am in this thread:

Need help with turbo ideas - NASIOC

Byzantium, but of course I already knew that.

Back to OT. Op...Blackbeast answered some of your question. You'd need injectors and a fuel pump with at least stage 2 mods to make that turbo work pretty good. Throw in a 3 port bcs with protune and you're looking even better (a 3 port bcs needs a custom map, so either get a protune or start learning some opensource) Also, the TMIC that blackbeast was referring to was a 02-07 style or you could get the Process West TMIC with the pipe kit for the older wrx/older and current STI layout.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Or a FMIC.

For a TMIC I believe you will also need to change the intake manifold.
#9 Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
FMIC or TMIC, you'd be better off replacing the entire intake manifold if you're going with the conventional turbo layout over the 08+ WRX layout.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
PW tmic fits both layouts no?

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#11 Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
PW tmic fits both layouts no?
That's what I was thinking...but, I guess you need to change the intake manifold also. I forget all the requirements to change layouts on the 3rd gens.

Kirt
#12 Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
That's what I was thinking...but, I guess you need to change the intake manifold also. I forget all the requirements to change layouts on the 3rd gens.
but if you just change the inlet tube on the PW from LGT to sti why would the outlet need changed also (to go into a sti mani?). guess ill look a little.

OP for the price of the PW tmic id go with a good brand fmic so you get both sets of pipes for a lgt or sti layout. no manifold changing required.

#13 Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok im right. the LGT PW tmic can go on either turbo. the sti PW tmic looks just like the OEM tmic with the TB right in the middle. if you want a sti turbo you just need to buy that inlet hose extra.

PROCESS WEST - WRX/STi Products - Top Mounted Intercooler

#14 Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
ok im right. the LGT PW tmic can go on either turbo. the sti PW tmic looks just like the OEM tmic with the TB right in the middle. if you want a sti turbo you just need to buy that inlet hose extra.

PROCESS WEST - WRX/STi Products - Top Mounted Intercooler
Ah ha...so, I was right the first time. I was just being to lazy to look it up.

Kirt