2008 WRX stock turbo drag strip runs. - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 42
Bulldog71ss is an unknown
2008 WRX stock turbo drag strip runs.

The last time I posted about my girls car we had just got it tuned at FAT in Phoenix. It made 232 whp/297 wtq on a Mustang dyno. 16 psi max, tapers down to 13. Still running the stock TMIC/turbo. It's been tuned for 5 months or more and we have not had any issues. Travis at FAT did a hell of a job on the tune and the price was great.

2008 WRX sedan Mods:
Prosport UEL header
Prosport up-pipe
Turboxs down-pipe
Turboxs mid-pipe
Turboxs catback
Turboxs CAI
Pro Tune
Tires are aftermarket, but no better than stock.

We went to Speed World in the Phoenix area tonight.
Track temps were around 50-55 F.

I did the driving and had my girl ride along a few runs to get the hang of how the flow of the track works. We ran a few 14.0-14.3 runs @ 97-100 mph. 60 FT times were all around 2.1-2.2 w/ 3500-4000 rpm launch. There was a lot of heat soak on the TMIC so after 3 passes we shut it down for 30 min and opened the hood for a cool down.

After the cool down I did a solo run and managed a 13.7529 @ 99.10 mph, 1.9271 60 FT w/ a .2604 R/T. Launch was about 4,200 rpm. We were really stoked about this run, I didnt think the car would be good for another better than low 14's, but was hoping for at least a 13.9.

After another cool down I got a couple 13.9xxx passes.

Last run of the night I went for broke. No cool down between this run and the run before it, I just drove up to the lanes and staged up.

5,000 rpm launch - (Felt like I was shot out of a cannon)
Shifts @ 6,500 rpm
R/T - .1484
60 FT - 1.8320
mph - 99.78
1/4 mile ET- 13.5475

She was going to hold off on getting the Turboxs FMIC for a while, but she is now so stoked about tonight that she will be getting it asap as well as a Grimmspeed EBCS. We will have our tuner add as much psi as the little turbo can push. I want to hit 12.xxx with the stock turbo before we put a CXR500 on. I know it's pushing it, but it seems do-able...kinda. Also looking at an inlet elbow. Are they worth it?







Last edited by Bulldog71ss; 02-19-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Bulldog71ss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,077
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Honestly you should be able to run 12's with only a slight increase in boost. Myself along with several others have done it on 2.0L motors and stock turbo. I would put money on that fact that if you got those 60ft times down you'd be running 12's. In any case not to shabby on those runs, of course I'm just mad cause none of the tracks near me are open yet...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is online now  
#3 Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 42
Bulldog71ss is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Honestly you should be able to run 12's with only a slight increase in boost. Myself along with several others have done it on 2.0L motors and stock turbo. I would put money on that fact that if you got those 60ft times down you'd be running 12's. In any case not to shabby on those runs, of course I'm just mad cause none of the tracks near me are open yet...
Has anyone confirmed a sub 13 second run with the stock TD04?
My worry about getting to the 12's is that the stock turbo is nearly tapped out, we can maybe get 2 more lbs boost peak, but even with the FMIC I'm betting we see at most a 12 whp gain and about 20-30 wtq. This turbo is so tiny that any more gains will start to be diminishing. We also are limited to 91 oct and we will not be running a snow kit, or e85.
I'm hopeful, but have my doubts.


Also, what kind of 60 FT times are people getting on all season tires? I don't see myself being able to get much better times with those tires and the power levels we are at.
Bulldog71ss is offline  
#4 Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,077
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Here you go:
#1 and I have seen him run this a number of times.

#2

I averaged 1.8s on my 60ft. Then I did something stupid and blew the original motor and had to build one, but I'd bet I could have squeezed 12.60's out of it with a little bit better tuning.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is online now  
#5 Old 02-19-2012, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 42
Bulldog71ss is an unknown
I don't think the td04 is capable of those speeds on the 2.5. I think it's too maxed out. Those times on the 2.0 at sick btw.
Bulldog71ss is offline  
#6 Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,355
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The 1st car had to have been running meth or something. The car in the 2nd video ran a small nitrous shot.

I ran 13.09 @ 104 on a stock turbo, but I think it was more luck than anything else. The 91 octane will obviously limit you, but with a power adder like meth or a higher octane gas you should be able to break it. You said you don't want to run those options so you're only real option is very heft weight reduction.
brfatal is offline  
#7 Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
synolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,415
synolimit is a helpful contributing member
remember boost isnt everything! some cars can pull 10-20 more HP from every degree of timing increased. boost can be around the same for every psi but if the turbos already maxed your just going to be blowing hot air and then you'll have to back timing down so its a moot point.

i bet a hole lot an aftermarket intercooler could get you the timing to get the HP you need to run your goals but a FMIC isnt going to be it! while the air will be much colder than any TMIC, the sheer volume to refill after every shift will leave you dead in the water because of the smaller OEM turbo.

i of course wouldnt suggest buying an aftermarket TMIC to just run 12's then get a FMIC later. but you could get there on weight! before you go, pull everything out of the trunk, rear seats, and at the track pull the passenger seat. look for things in the engine bay that arent needed and go from there. i know i've lost about 250lbs from when it was stock.

FYI the 3-port really wont do anything at all and the oem inlet is good for almost 400HP.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
synolimit is offline  
#8 Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 42
Bulldog71ss is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
remember boost isnt everything! some cars can pull 10-20 more HP from every degree of timing increased. boost can be around the same for every psi but if the turbos already maxed your just going to be blowing hot air and then you'll have to back timing down so its a moot point.

i bet a hole lot an aftermarket intercooler could get you the timing to get the HP you need to run your goals but a FMIC isnt going to be it! while the air will be much colder than any TMIC, the sheer volume to refill after every shift will leave you dead in the water because of the smaller OEM turbo.

i of course wouldnt suggest buying an aftermarket TMIC to just run 12's then get a FMIC later. but you could get there on weight! before you go, pull everything out of the trunk, rear seats, and at the track pull the passenger seat. look for things in the engine bay that arent needed and go from there. i know i've lost about 250lbs from when it was stock.

FYI the 3-port really wont do anything at all and the oem inlet is good for almost 400HP.
I totally forgot to take out the spare tire/tools. What a dope.
Now if I could only get rid of that pesky battery...

Do you think there would be any gains from going to an aftermarket inlet? The stocker might be good to 400 hp, but does that mean an upgrade wont net any gains until that power level?

I have heard of a few guys going fmic on the stock turbo with out issus. They report a bit more turbo lag, but over all much better performance than the stock tmic.
I think the plan will be to have my tuner get as much boost/timing as he can on 91 oct with the fmic and we will see where we're at. Hopefully that plus some weight reduction will get us to the 12's. I really want to get there on this stock turbo before we upgrade.

Has anyone hit 12's in an 08 on the stock turbo? I done a lot of searching and have not found one yet.
Bulldog71ss is offline  
#9 Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
synolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,415
synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog71ss View Post
I totally forgot to take out the spare tire/tools. What a dope.
Now if I could only get rid of that pesky battery...

Do you think there would be any gains from going to an aftermarket inlet? The stocker might be good to 400 hp, but does that mean an upgrade wont net any gains until that power level?

I have heard of a few guys going fmic on the stock turbo with out issus. They report a bit more turbo lag, but over all much better performance than the stock tmic.
I think the plan will be to have my tuner get as much boost/timing as he can on 91 oct with the fmic and we will see where we're at. Hopefully that plus some weight reduction will get us to the 12's. I really want to get there on this stock turbo before we upgrade.

Has anyone hit 12's in an 08 on the stock turbo? I done a lot of searching and have not found one yet.
so get rid of it. i have a 15lb year round but i believe i could of run the 11 and maybe even the 9. since your in a hotter climate i bet you could run the 9 and certainly the 11; OEM is like 32lb.

i dont believe so. your turbo is 2.4" and the inlet wont collaps so there is no point in getting an aftermarket 2.4" inlet. getting a 3" inlet means you still have the bottle neck at the turbo. plus your CAI runs 3" then necks down to 66mm at the MAF sensor, then necks down to 2.4" and into the turbo. getting a bigger 3" inlet just means; 3", 66mm, back to 3", then down to 2.4". all that cant be good. at least in OEM form it always necks down so its like the compressor housing in my eyes; starting big and going smaller speeds the air/flow up, thats a good thing.

guys on a stock TD04??? i have the vf52 but i push about 10 more lb/min then you. mines like an 18g turbo while yours is smaller than a 16g. sure 16g's run FMIC's but a Greddy FMIC for like the civic is half the size of FMIC's for these cars! plus it doesnt help you're 1000lb heavier.

i think a lot of weight, better driving (under 2.0 60ft) and some very good tires might do it. i will say this, you can have a bad 60ft and still show a good MPH at the end. since your only doing 99mph you have a lot to go! i ran 101mph at 13.3 bone stock. you're going to need a lot more HP (or a lot less weight) to get up to 105-107mph to break 13's.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
synolimit is offline  
#10 Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
synolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,415
synolimit is a helpful contributing member
doing some calculations if you didnt remove any weight id say you'd need at least 40HP more up top above 4500-5000rpm (your lowest shift point) to hit 12.9 at 106mph. if you removed 200lb from the car id say you need about 25HP more. your gonna need a good 2-3 more psi and/or 2-3 more degrees of timing to get that at 4500-5000rpm and above. needless to say its not going to be easy at all on that turbo!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
synolimit is offline  
#11 Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,355
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
guys on a stock TD04??? i have the vf52 but i push about 10 more lb/min then you. mines like an 18g turbo while yours is smaller than a 16g. sure 16g's run FMIC's but a Greddy FMIC for like the civic is h

What? Your turbo is smaller than a 16G too. You think a VF anything is like an 18G?
brfatal is offline  
#12 Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
synolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,415
synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
What? Your turbo is smaller than a 16G too. You think a VF anything is like an 18G?
here we go again.

Yes brfatal. as much as you dont want to agree; (even though dozens more since last time have done it) vf52's are putting down very very very good numbers on 93 and e85. anywhere from 320-350AWHP!! i could care less if you still think its IMPOSSIBLE for a VF52 to put down more than 300AWHP (even though half a dozen mustangs have shown it). that being said, my car in particular is putting down 420hp at the flywheel. since all of Blouch's (for example) 18g's are 430hp at 43lb/min; id say the VF52 is pretty damn close. specially since this summer ill be pushing for another 1-3 degrees of timing. god help you if i run e85!

and since i said this

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
mines like an 18g .
and always say this

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
the vf52 is around 38-39lb/min

id say im in the right in what i said

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
synolimit is offline  
#13 Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,355
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
A VF52 is not a 38-39 lb/min turbo. That is what an 18Gs flows. A small 16G is rated around 35 lb/min while your 52 puts out about 34 lb/min.

I've never refuted that a VFxx could put out 320-350, on E85.
brfatal is offline  
#14 Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
synolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,415
synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
38-39 lb/min, that is what an 18Gs flows
thats my point. and so's a vf52.

we'll experiment then if you dont believe me. you go find me 1/4 times (and more important MPH) for subi's with a 18g and ill find vf52's and vf48's 1/4 times. something tells me the times wont be different. you really think a 34lb/min turbo can run the same time as a 38-39lb/min (PS blouch's 18's are 43lb/min)? lol and find me a 16g that can run, id kill that thing.

PS, a 16g can barley fill a 2.0 motor and cant break 300hp, on a 2.5L its a dead turbo which the vf52 and vf48 are not.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
synolimit is offline  
#15 Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 42
Bulldog71ss is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
so get rid of it. i have a 15lb year round but i believe i could of run the 11 and maybe even the 9. since your in a hotter climate i bet you could run the 9 and certainly the 11; OEM is like 32lb.

i dont believe so. your turbo is 2.4" and the inlet wont collaps so there is no point in getting an aftermarket 2.4" inlet. getting a 3" inlet means you still have the bottle neck at the turbo. plus your CAI runs 3" then necks down to 66mm at the MAF sensor, then necks down to 2.4" and into the turbo. getting a bigger 3" inlet just means; 3", 66mm, back to 3", then down to 2.4". all that cant be good. at least in OEM form it always necks down so its like the compressor housing in my eyes; starting big and going smaller speeds the air/flow up, thats a good thing.

guys on a stock TD04??? i have the vf52 but i push about 10 more lb/min then you. mines like an 18g turbo while yours is smaller than a 16g. sure 16g's run FMIC's but a Greddy FMIC for like the civic is half the size of FMIC's for these cars! plus it doesnt help you're 1000lb heavier.

i think a lot of weight, better driving (under 2.0 60ft) and some very good tires might do it. i will say this, you can have a bad 60ft and still show a good MPH at the end. since your only doing 99mph you have a lot to go! i ran 101mph at 13.3 bone stock. you're going to need a lot more HP (or a lot less weight) to get up to 105-107mph to break 13's.
I ran a 1.8320 60ft time to hit the 13.5; I dont think I will be able to do much better than that at this power level to be honest.

There was a lot of good info in your post and it's much appreciated!
Are there any other power adders you can think of, or ways to reduce drag (pullies) that are worth it? I have seen guys post excellent results from a light wieght clutch/flywheel as well, but I don't think we'll be doing that any time soon...
She has also had her eye on a set of Enkies that are about 15-16 lbs per corner. I'm thinking those could help out a bit.
Bulldog71ss is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On