Subaru WRX Forum banner

2008 Likes and Dislikes

21K views 85 replies 58 participants last post by  red08WRX 
#1 ·
Hi, This is the first post we have created in the new section for 2008+.

What are the dislikes and likes? I am a huge fan of the new car, and the more I look at the silver WRX in the header, the more I can't wait till they come out!

#3 ·
I just baught a 08 wrx, obviously not the sti and I absolutley love it. It's really iritating me how much bad reviews its getting interms of it being a few inches larger. Does 5" longer compared to the 07 model really make that much of a difference? these cars look a hell of a lot better in person and people shouldnt be juding it just on the pictures!! Yes it not as agressive looking compared post 08 but there still a good looking car and Great to drive. I personly dont like the wagon mainly because of the back end. chrome doesnt look good and the brake lights look like crap. But the sedan (which i have) is great. I think the dual outlet exaust and the premium package looks very nice on it. The only change i would have liked to see is maybe a more aggresive bumper/front end. In terms of the STI coming out, word has it that theres no plan for a sedan suntil at least 09. thats what the sales guy told me atleast.

#4 ·

Dislikes: EVERYTHING.

Nice Saturn Ion, Subaru. :notgood:

I'm so glad I got a 2005 model STi. I can only see the value sky-rocketing, considering the hideous styling of the new versions. It'll be like a 1969 Boss Mustang Vs. a Mustang II.

#20 ·
+1... The only thing I can figure is that the Subaru engineers were experimenting with the high-speed rear-end collisions where a Toyota Camry was struck from behind by a hatchback Ford Focus. The marketing department must have been watching..."Hummmm, that thing looks marketable. If only it were taller." About that time, a Honda Accord dropped from a cargo jet landed right on top of the mess. "I like it! Throw in a WRX drivetrain and it's a done deal!"

And the rest is history...

#5 ·

Dislikes: Uglier than Legagy... seems to forgot what WRX means...

WRX was born for Rally, it just is in its blood. Not for street-racing highschool kids, not for being showing-off sports car, but for Rally.

Close your eyes. And imagine 2008 WRX roaring in WRC fields.... Oh, no.... that is not a happy picture!!!

#6 ·
Ok first thing I want to say is, its DEFINITELY a hell of a lot better looking in real life than in pics. I do like the front, but HATE the back. At the same time though, I know tons of people who hated the 02-03 bugeye WRX's... including myself, I thought they were hideious, but I've grown to accept, and not really love them... I am sure over years the 08's will be fine... For those of you who own 08's, just remember, its not about the looks, but about the performance, a rally car at heart... so who cares what it looks like... as long as its a WRX, its a WRX... personally I like the 04-05 models the best, but I wouldn't mind having any...

#7 ·
the STi looks like a juiced focus svt. terrible lines and even worse hatchback idea especially when the STi is getting so much coverage with new things like the x games indoor rally.

way to jump on the trands subaru and sell out. the new STi is a whore.
on the plus side it makes me love my 05 STi that much more.

#8 ·
I think some misunderstand why people cry over the 08 wrx.
First of all, "ugly" is not really a good word to describe the 08. Plain, boring, generic, and other-car looking are better terms. I agree it does look somewhat better in person, but so do the previous usdm wrxs. The only thing that can save the 08 is the hatch w/ the factory upgrade million-dollar grill.
Second of all, people aren't angry at subaru for doing anything in particular detrimentally wrong. Performance-wise, it's still just as good as the previous wrx in most ways, and even better in others (namely, double-wishbone suspension). The improvements, however, stop there. THAT is why we are angry. Subaru could've shaved a hundred pounds or so, put a twinscroll setup w/ avcs, better brakes (or at least KEEP the 4 pots), forged internals, better flowing heads, a stronger tranny. bigger/lighter rims/tires, whatever. They could've done SO many things to make the wrx a better performing car. Evos and ms3s were stepping ALL OVER the wrx, and the 08 was supposed to be subaru's answer. It was supposed to take back the glory it once had when the wrx first hit us shores. But what did subaru do? They threw it on a couch, turned on the tv and fed it potato chips until it turned into a middle-aged, chubby, uninteresting mama's "bring-your-kid-to-soccer practice" car. They abandoned their loyal fans in hopes of winning over civic and prius drivers. THAT is why I, as well as many other wrx owners, despise it.

The sti, on the other hand, is another story. Hopefully subaru can redeem itself with that.

#12 ·
So what if it's more toned down? What about sleeper cars... Cars that look "average," but perform well? Buick GNX, hideous, but fast as hell... Try to think of that on the 08... and its NOT that bad looking... its more sleeperish... Cmon now, the STi's with the massive wings? Even my car has the massive wing, its pretty obvious what its intended for... but the 08's are more stealthy, yet just as good as a normal WRX, if not better....

#11 ·
I happen to like your profile pic! The front is nice... Honestly, I like the integrated hoodscoop. It doesn't just bust out of the hood, but rather fits with the hood nicely. I know people don't like it saying its toned down, but watever, some will like it, some will not. Just like the previous, years, some like it, some not. Not a lot of older people will go buy a WRX because they are targeted at a younger audience... there are exceptions of course... the new ones are targeted at an older crowd. So what? I think it looks nice. a WRX is a WRX!

#14 ·
I like the doublewishbone suspension, but I can't stand the overall body style. It's gone farther away from the impreza look, and really IMO looks a lot like a Legacy GT. I'm definitely disappointed and when the time comes to upgrade, I wont be purchasing one. I'm praying they [Subaru] can save face with the new sti. I've got a pic of it as my desktop at work and I'm starting to appreciate the look of the hatch. The interior is one of my favorites though.

#17 ·
I actually love the new Sti. I am gonna trade in my 07 in 09 for one. Especially the light silver one in the corner. However, the regular WRX sedan SUCKS!!!!! I posted a thread not to long ago comparing the body style of the 08 sedan to an 08 Toyota Corolla. And they look exactly the same. I think the new Sti has the signals integrated into the mirrors to whichh is a nice touch.

#18 ·
we are going to wait for the evo x to come out and make a decision to get that or the WRX for our display vehicle to take to the shows etc... I like the idea of the WRX better because their is so much more available for it & the Subie community is much larger. Any thoughts??

#19 ·
I feel Stock for Stock the 08 WRX handles a bit better and spools a lot earlier and harder. The only thing I don't really like is the new exhaust path. I see great great things in the 08's future :)

I wouldn't compare the EVO X to the WRX but to the STI (of course)...with that said the new EVO is ~100lbs heavier but I do like the way it looks...only some test driving of each will tell the tale !Thumbs Up

#21 ·
Okay, I see where all of the hate is coming from. I saw the pictures and disliked it from the get-go. It is not as WRX-y as previous generations. Then I saw a white sedan at my restaurant. I had a once around, and it was okay i guess. The owner came out and I told him that it was the new generation of my car, and he wrinkled his nose and said, "I like yours better." He is an S2000 owner and was unimpressed by the new styling.

I do like the look of the LGT incorporated hood, but the rest of the car just looks drab. The fender flares are gone, the tail lamps are hideous. It just doesnt look purposeful any longer. The pics of the STi make it look like it is there to do something and be heard. The WRX not so much. I also dont really like the new grille. It is very minivan, and not vented and cut to look like it wants airflow to get into the engine bay and to the brakes and cool the things that need be cooled. It looks like it just wants to get air around it as quickly as possible. I do also like the Legacy GT platform. That leaves the door open for more power right off the bat. The LGT is a strong motor setup. I am interested to see what the tuners are going to be able to do with it.

Let us all remember that 04-05 owners are in love with their generation, 02-03 owners are in love with the bugeye, and as for me, I was in love with the bugeye and hated the 06-07, but it grew on me and now here I am an 06 owner. There will be a new crop of 08-09 owners out there. It is like those who have a favorite band and want them to put out the same album 19 times, and then there are those who appreciate the progression of the band.

Oh, and as for the hatch... The US is actually the only country that even gets a sedan. The US is the only country that isnt stoked on a 5-door car. We shall see what happens though.

#23 ·
The STi is now packing 245 wides on 26" tires. That's a SERIOUS improvement. Not sure how decent the high performance dunlops will be but the possibility of maybe even 255s or 265s on all 4 wheels without a body kit gets me drooling quickly.

The STi looks are growing on me. Probably not enough to swallow a $35000 STARTING price but it's at least closer to the mark than I thought they would be. Now if only they'll realize how far off they were with the WRX.

#24 ·
The dealer that I bought my car from wants to give me 15% over bluebook for my bugeye, and 5 grand off, if I preorder the STI. they said since the 08's came out that the 02-03 are in high demand. I dont really want to buy a brand new car but thats a good deal. But if the 03s are in high demand mabey ill just keep the OL' bugeye....for another year or 2

#26 ·
Well first off, this is my first post here so hi.

I have never owned a WRX but there is a good chance that will change in the near future. I have always LOVED the WRX from the time it was relased in 02. I love every version from 02-07 in wagon or sedan.

I was at first shocked by the simplicity of the 08 WRX. I am sure that is why a lot of you don't like it. They could have made a really out there car that would apeal to all of you guys and the hardcore WRX following. They opted instead for a car that will apeal to the masses.

However, the more I see of the wagon the more I like it. Yea the tail lights are silly and it lacks agreesion, but overall i think it is a very solid car that will be fun to drive... which is a guess what they were going for.

#27 ·
STI is starting to grow on me, but I still dislike the regular WRX. The STI actually has some aggressive features to it. The new WRX is trying to appeal to all the 2.5 RS drivers out there. I'll say it. All the mom and pops that might want a little more power. Jesus...would it kill anyone to make the turbo model stand out or give it some improvement in looks and performance. They just stop at the Internals.

#29 ·
OK So Too all the haters of the 08 WRX I have one thing to say, if you dont like the looks it's ok because I put about 3grand into mine and guess what the only time you'll see it is before the light turns green.

0-60 4.5
0-100 6.5

1/4mile 10.9

If you can beat that than speak badly of the 08 :)

Pics comming Soon!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.