2008 gauges. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bulldog71ss is an unknown
2008 gauges.

It's been about a month since the exhaust has been installed and the car is still running strong, but it was time to get some measurements on what's going on.

We picked up two gauges from AEM. A digital wideband and a digital uego boost gauge.
We also got the SMY hood replacement pod, which is an excellent product, it installed within 30 min and matches almost perfectly.

As far as the gauges, I wish I would have got an analog boost gauge with a real needle instead, they are just easier to follow than the digital readouts. The AEM digital is nice and all, I just prefer a real needle.

We are getting a max boost of 13 psi and the a taper down to about 10 with about 20-22 lbs vacuum at idle.

Unfortunately the wideband install is not complete yet. Apparently the bung in the Prosport uppipe is way too small for an o2 sensor to fit it...I'm really not sure what that bung is for.

So this Friday we'll be taking the downpipe to a shop to have an o2 bung wielded in, then it will be a plug and play deal to finish up the wideband install...I've already got all the wiring taken care of and ready to go as well as the gauge installed in the pod.

I'll report back with our untuned afr readings to let you guys know how messed up the stock tune is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2011, 09:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
The stock boost is or should be right around 13.5 so it sounds like the ecu is prob dumping boost and or timing. Be careful and try and stay out of boost as much as you can til you get some em....just my .02

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#3 Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The up pipe bung is designed for an EGT sensor - even though that's not the best location for it because it is so far away from the block (length of piping the hot exhaust gases have to travel through) and will provide a lower temperature reading than if the EGT sensor was located, say, several inches from the block in the exhast manifold.

Some aftermarket downpipes, like Cobb's, come with two bungs in them which are larger and designed for O2 sensors - typically, the stock O2 sensor goes in the bung farther down the pipe away from the turbo and many people use the bung at the top of the pipe near the turbo for an aftermarket (preferably wideband) O2 sensor.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
The stock boost is or should be right around 13.5 so it sounds like the ecu is prob dumping boost and or timing. Be careful and try and stay out of boost as much as you can til you get some em....just my .02
13.0 is within spec of stock boost targets. Still, running the dp, and up pipe are obvious issues but boost seems to be in check.

-Chris
#5 Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Yeah i wasn't sure what the+- was but i remembered his previous post and all the un tuned mods i just know what mine was at stock(13.5).

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#6 Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
Yeah i wasn't sure what the+- was but i remembered his previous post and all the un tuned mods i just know what mine was at stock(13.5).

I've heard of some 08's being in the 12.5 max boost zone as well. From what I understand 12.5-13.5 psi is within spec. I'm having the wideband bung wielded today, so hopefully I'll get some afr readings to post tonight. It would have been nice if either the downpipe or uppipe came with an o2 bung, but oh well.

Btw, do any of you live in the Phoenix area? And if so, do you ever make it to the Pavillions?
#7 Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
that bung in the UP is for the older cars from 02 to like 05 that had factory EGT sensors in them. all get pulled and deleted though when you go to stage 2 or whatever because over time they could break off and blow the turbo just like the cats in the old UP's. i dont know why aftermarket companies still weld that bung in there, like manshow said its a pointless spot for aftermarket EGT gauges.

when you say you installed an exhaust what did you mean? CBE or TBE? hope you have a tune or getting one if you did a TBE!!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#8 Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
that bung in the UP is for the older cars from 02 to like 05 that had factory EGT sensors in them. all get pulled and deleted though when you go to stage 2 or whatever because over time they could break off and blow the turbo just like the cats in the old UP's. i dont know why aftermarket companies still weld that bung in there, like manshow said its a pointless spot for aftermarket EGT gauges.

when you say you installed an exhaust what did you mean? CBE or TBE? hope you have a tune or getting one if you did a TBE!!
The whole exhaust has been done as well as an intake. The afr when in vacuum is in check, but when in boost it's a bit lean. I just got back from the exhaust shop and was able to check out the afr on the drive home. I only got the boost up to about 5 psi to test the afr under boost a bit.

With this new data we'll be getting a tune in a bit here. Until then I'll make sure to tell the g/f to keep it out of boost like she's been doing. The nice thing about the exhaust is that the car doesnt need to be under pressure to get down the road in a hurry now.
#9 Old 05-20-2011, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I still don't know why you got a TBE, UP, Headers, and Intake without tuning for it for a whole month. I pray that she stays out of it. How long until you tune for it? I hope ASAP.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#10 Old 05-21-2011, 01:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I still don't know why you got a TBE, UP, Headers, and Intake without tuning for it for a whole month. I pray that she stays out of it. How long until you tune for it? I hope ASAP.

Probably 2-4 weeks until we have a tune done.
#11 Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Are you tuning for the crap 91 oct? I say crap because its known that arizona has a poopy version of 91 octane or what octane are you tuning for?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae