Subaru WRX Forum banner

20 psi boost stage 1+ 2011 wrx

28K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
2011 wrx..Was looking through Cobb and saw that you can adjust your boost. Was wondering if I can bump that up to 20psi and be safe.. Or if I just get a dp and and go stage 2 and put it to 20psi or is that just Gunna kill my engine

#2 ·
If you don't know what your doing, don't do it. You should only adjust your boost by correct tuning and not by turning the wastegate arm unless specifically told to do so in the map notes.

#4 ·
Yeah, unless you want to be parting out the car to try and pay it off because of the denied warrantly claim don't just "crank up" the boost to 20psi.

The WRX/STI is a very touchy car and without proper tuning, 99% of the things you do to it will kill it in short order.

If you want to run 20psi, you pretty much need an aftermarket turbo back exhaust, an aftermarket intercooler, probably an intake, and a good tune. I would also recommend an aftermarket 3-port ebcs like Grimmspeed's.

#5 ·
What type of gas are you/will you be running? Whats with the number of 20PSI? Just a number you are looking at, or a more specific reason? Boost pressure should not be your end result that you are looking for. It should be the PSI/boost pressure that gets you the best for your car in terms of reliability, power delivery, and drivability. Im not familiar with the newer WRXs and the turbo the run, but how effecient is the turbo at 20PSI?

#7 ·
They only sell 91 here there are a few places that sell 100 octane but not on every corner..I just want a little something to push mine a little more..I know this sounds dumb but I have a buddy that has a wrx to and anything I do to mine he goes and does the same so I was just Gunna try to sneak a few more ponys.

#8 ·
20psi on the vf52 is too much without supporting mods. You would have to retard your timing so much all you would be doing is putting un due stress on your internals and gaskets, you won't gain power. Charge would be scolding hot and would knock like crazy with the stock intercooler, not to mention the 11's intercooler would blow apart in about 20 miles or less with that kind of pressure, unless you are lucky. 20psi is ok on the VF52 at "peak", it won't flow hard enough to push more than about 16 past 5500, well maybe at sea level. Still bottom line, trying to just "push 20lbs" is a very bad idea. Like the above posts state, there are way too many variables to even consider pumping the boost up until you have a very good idea about what you are doing. The stock AFR levels are wack for emissions reasons, spool up timing is somewhat retarded, and the stock 2 port boost controller is very hard to dial spike out of and still reach early boost. Just way too many things happening for people to blindly turn up boost, but they still do it.... and we see em back asking "what that sound is"

#11 ·
Lots of ways to get ALOT more power out of it, but it sounds like you want something with minimal involvement and money? Can get a few more with a stage 1 tune, keep in mind (depending on your Subaru dealership), this can officially void the warranty. They have to be able to prove whatever you did broke something, but an ecu flash is forever detectable even flashing back to stock. Stage 2 is very common, but will cost you a new dp and typically a drop in air filter is not a bad idea at this tune either.

#13 ·
From a Subaru tech's mouth, the car has several tables, several of which are for information purposes and ecu flashes do typically not touch. There are several values they can look at that will tell if a car has been reflashed. You can take or leave that information as I have not seen it with my own eyes, and sometimes you have to take it with a grain of salt. But I would guess there is some truth to this statement as on most devices there are ways to tell if the solid state has been messed with.

#16 ·
Cobb swears the "revert back to stock" option will put the check sums back to what they were before the AP was changing things. Everytime you flash you change the check sum. But, revert back to stock supposedly goes back to the original check sum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.