14WRX's build thread! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 Old 02-08-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Haha that's funny! Yeah it's more a build journal right now. Nothing crazy like that other stuff for quite a long time! Yeah I just pace myself and get little things here and there. That said I have never done so much already to a brand new vehicle lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaleM is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to DaleM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14WRX View Post
Haha that's funny! Yeah it's more a build journal right now. Nothing crazy like that other stuff for quite a long time! Yeah I just pace myself and get little things here and there. That said I have never done so much already to a brand new vehicle lol
I am negotiating a major endeavor as we speak. My 2008 BMW 135i engine died recently. The WRX will be in a shop 2 months after I buy it. Endstate is ballpark 500 whp setup to run at Sebring. Sebring is right doown the road from me.

I will be swapping the BMW for parts and labor with a local performance shop. I do not want to get too excited until the handshakes are done. I will be kneedeep with this site and any others the STi experts can throw my way.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Sounds like you have a huge build planned! That's going to take a ton to reach those goals. There are a lot of nice people on the forums that can give you some knowledge and input! Keep us updated.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaleM is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to DaleM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14WRX View Post
Sounds like you have a huge build planned! That's going to take a ton to reach those goals. There are a lot of nice people on the forums that can give you some knowledge and input! Keep us updated.
Not to derail the thread so I will watch here and learn. I am fortunate to know a good dealership that races and a tuner that has helped me get my BMW to 420rwhp on the MD.

I made the mistake of not sticking with him! Bad on me.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Not to derail the thread so I will watch here and learn. I am fortunate to know a good dealership that races and a tuner that has helped me get my BMW to 420rwhp on the MD.

I made the mistake of not sticking with him! Bad on me.
We all live and learn thats part of life! Just stinks that some lessons are more expensive than others. Im new to Subaru so I spend a ton of time researching and trying to do things right. Keep us updated on yours.
post #21 of 27 Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
02/08/2014 I installed an Alpine UTE-42BT Digital Media Receiver and a Sound Ordnance b8td under the seat subwoofer. Here are links to the products.
Alpine UTE-42BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I bought the Alpine off a forum member who also gave me the PAC unit for the steering wheel controls. I didn't wire that in just yet because I don't want to hack into the OEM wire harness. There is another wire harness out there with the extra wires for the Metra so I may end up doing that. This is just something until I get a nice NAV unit.

The head unit made a huge difference in the sound of the stock speakers! If you guys want something reasonably priced and want a great improvement over stock you can't go wrong.

As far as the under the seat sub goes, I have never had one before and didn't know what to expect. I didn't want to fork over the money for an audio integration box, sub, and amp just yet so I went with the S/O powered sub. It comes with a free wiring kit so that is an added bonus.

The install was a lot easier than I thought it would be. With the wiring kit is the black flex loom to cover the power wire so you can't even tell I have a wire running into the car. I used the grommet by the passenger side. It just came right out in foot well. Then I ran all the wires under the carpet by the center console. I then cut a small slit in the carpet to run the wires under the seat. The easiest way to do it is just unbolt the passenger seat and lean it forward so you can put the sub in. Then lean it back so you can have access to everything. You can't lean it back and put the sub in because the wire for the air bag blocks it. But with the sub in you won't have to worry about it.

For all the great reviews I am not the most impressed. I wasn't expecting to shake the rear view, but I wanted something that would be noticeable. Some songs it really lacks. It is supposed to hit down to 40hz but it can't really hit the lows. The wireless remote control is pretty much good for either turning it full blast or off. Don't really notice any in between. I was able to use the Alpine Subwoofer adjustments add a little more fine tuning. I called Crutchfield and they said that I could try the Kicker Hideaway sub and keep the free install kit if I wanted to. They have a 60 day no hassle return or exchange policy so that is great. I will give this a week or so and if I really am not happy I will see about trying the Kicker out. The only bad thing is that the kicker would still be another 140.00 since it is 300.00.
Kicker 11HS8 Hideaway? compact powered subwoofer: 150 watts and an 8" sub at Crutchfield.com

Here are a few pics. If I switch out the S/O I will take some pics with the seat leaned back so you guys can see how the wires come in. I tried to take some pics under the seat but they aren't the best.

If you look closely at the red cover on the battery you can see the wire coming off.

Here is where it comes into the grommet on the passenger side.

With the seat all the way back.

With the seat all the way forward.

Looking at it from the front underneath.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Well I sent back the Sound Ordnance to Crutchfield. It was good, but for me I just want more. If a person has never had a separate sub amp setup or they just want some good mids and highs then it would be perfect.

One thing that helped is I got a great deal on a Subthump sub box from a forum member. I got for half off shipped! I plan on putting in a JL Audio 10W3V3 and match it with a JL Audio JX500/D1. It is a nice slim box and won't take up any space.
Here is a link to the site.
2008 & Up Subaru Impreza (4door) Stealth Enclosure
the RIOT act likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
You probably made a really wise decision. I don't think a underseat powered sub can sound better than what your going with. I wish I could find a box that don't take up any useable space like that one for my 06. The only option I could find was under seat.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #24 of 27 Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
You probably made a really wise decision. I don't think a underseat powered sub can sound better than what your going with. I wish I could find a box that don't take up any useable space like that one for my 06. The only option I could find was under seat.
Thanks! It will be nice saving all the space still. The box should be shipped tomorrow. I plan to order the amp this week and then just have to order the sub and amp kit. I found a nice Rockford fosgate 4AWG amp kit for around 55 shipped on eBay that I'm going with. I used the same kit in my last car and it worked great.

Only bad thing about the JL amp is that I have to buy the remote bass knob when most companies include them with the amp.

I'm open to other suggestions if you guys have them I just know how clean JL sounds. I had a 15W6 years ago and that thing was nice!
post #25 of 27 Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
03/04/2014 I installed my new stereo equipment. I got a Subthump stealth enclosure, JL Audio 10W3V3 Subwoofer, and an Alpine MRV-M500 Class D Monoblock amp with external boost control knob. The wiring kit is a Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge Power and Ground.

I wired the boost control knob to a less visible location as you can see in the pics. If your sitting in the passenger seat you can't see it as it sits a little lower. I used 3M double sided padded type tape so it can be easily removed without any issues. Don't mind the wires in the little cubby all the wiring is hidden. That is actually the mic for the stereo that i haven't ran anywhere yet. I plan on going with a NAV double din in the future so I haven't decided if I should run that somewhere yet.

The sub is 2ohm at 500 Watt RMS. The amp is 500 watts at 2ohm. The birth sheet was actually 567 watt RMS! The subthump box fit near perfect. There is a tiny gap toward the hatch area but it is perfect everywhere else. I couldn't be happier with the build quality of it. For the price you can't beat it being more than half the cost of the other competition out there. Having JL subs before I know how clean they sound while packing a punch. This one was no different. It pounds and is super clean. The amp is a great match and gives the sub plenty of clean power while staying cool. It is super tiny so it helps it stay nice and cool under the passenger seat.

Here are some pics!

boo-key likes this.
post #26 of 27 Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Looks good man! I dream for the day of having bass again lol!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #27 of 27 Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Looks good man! I dream for the day of having bass again lol!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Lol, Thanks! It was so worth it. When you are ready I would be happy to offer any advice input.
the RIOT act likes this.