Subaru WRX Forum banner

11 wrx 5dr with turbo xs exhaust? questions?

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
i bought the turbo xs catback for my 2011 wrx 5dr hatch. i installed it without any real problems besides having to cut the heat shield, buy new bolts and i am now hearing a whistle like sound wich is not the turbo. only reason i know this is i can still hear the turbo underneath the whistle sound. i also cannot find an exhaust leak anywhere.... maybe a common sound for this car?

question is this.... what DP's can be run with this cat back?? i have a feeling i may be stuck using the turbo xs dp now since i choose thier cat back, but i wanted either the perrin or cobb DP...

is thier a problem with this car when running a DP without a cat? i heard the stock turbo acts funny and is not a good thing to do. any help on these things wouuld be great. still trying to figure out this car...

#3 ·
any DP will work. i drilled my stock DP to use their bolts, to late to tell you that now. take the heat shield off, we all do. you cannot run any DP on that car unless you buy an AP with a stage 2 tune, etune stage 2 tune and tactrix cable, or get a pro tune!

#4 ·
I wasn't sure about completely taking off the heat shield so I just trimmed it up to fit corectly. I was worried about how the turbo xs cat back used just a gasket and no longer used the donut flex joint anymore. I wasn't sure if the other dp's would mate up to their cat back cus how it was set up.

And the Cobb ap is on my list of upgrades to be on the car before the dp will be installed.

Oh yea and kinda funny how you drilled out the stock holes cus I almost did the same exact thing but I was running out of day light so buying new bolts made it alittle easier for the time being.

#5 ·
So how about the issue of running no cat and having problems with the stock turbo? Are they referring to flutter, spikes, creep? I wanted to get a cat less dp but if it will cause me issues with the stock turbo I will just get one with a cat. I am not planing on upgrading the turbo anytime soon. Been there done that and now my wife will divorce me if I go over bored with this car lol

#6 ·
catless or catted will cause problems without a tune. getting a stage 2 tune will fix 99% of the issues. why not 100%? off the self maps are not as good as a pro tune and winter normally causes some over boost issues. get a boost gauge and a wide band O2 to keep an eye on things.

#7 ·
If you have trouble fitting the DP to the CBE there is an adaptor to buy or you can take it to a local shop and they can cut then weld the proper flange so mating them up is easier also. Just a thought.

#8 ·
Ok, cool.. I will for sure be getting the Cobb ap before I pick up the dp.

I was just tole by a few vendors that not running a cat with the stock turbo was a bad thing and actually hurt performance and the car.

Now I have owned and worked on many boosted vehicles. I never ran a cat on any of my turbo vehicles and never had issues besides maybe some boost spikes that were not too bad. But this is the first Subaru I have ever owned and only the second I have modded. I would hate to cause some issues because I was unsure of something or unaware I was doing something wrong.

So if I do get the Cobb ap tuner, cat less TB exhaust and the Cobb intake will there be any issues I need to be aware of? Want to make sure these vendors aren't ju
St trying to up sell there product.

#9 ·
You might run into some issues when the colder weather is around, but even catted DPs can have that issue. I did with mine at Stage 2, and every once in a blue moon have a CEL thrown in the winter for WGDC or solenoid, cant remember which, but as long as its not a daily thing it will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.