09 WRX The Quest for Sti Performance - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I will advise you know that no personal attacks will be made, especially publically. This is meant to be a friendly forum to share information. If you have a problem with anything or anyone, please feel free to PM that person.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
update

ok like i said i am a reader when it comes to cars and learning. Anyways i picked up this book called speed secrets professional race driving techniques by Ross Bentley. Ive read it all and its a great book i learned alot so i suggest you go get your self a copy. Anyways i have that problem that i cant seem to set my seat right... it pisses me off when somebody moves my seat I cant seem to get the right pedal feel...but then i ran into this book and its been a big help.
seat position
the book say the best way to sit is w/ as much lateral support as possible and also sit as low as possible which is the best way to race and the best/ safest spot for you to be in an accident. It also says you should be able to place you hand at the 12:00 position and be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees w/out lifting you shoulder off the seat. When sitting you should be able to reach the shifter comfortably and you should be able to push the pedals all the way in w/ your leg still being slightly bent when clutch is fully engaged to the floor. Also dont sit all far back and be gansta!! Your arms should be able to reach the steering wheel (duh) and be slightly bent also. If you sit like this man does your car feel way better!! it really makes a difference on how you drive.
The book also explains how to heel toe, cornering, breaking, turning, and shifting right.
For ex. when you entering a corner you break in a straight line then you combine a little bit of breaking with turning but right before you turn you down shift to the gear you need. If you shift before you turn or before your back on the gas you could upset the balance of your car w/ the egines breaking power. So shift right before you turn at the latest time possible but make sure you give your self enough time...you wanna spend the least amount of time turning. when you start to exit your back on the gas and when you in a straight line out of the corner you can floor it The book also goes over camber angle, slip angle, bump steer, wheel rate, and any other racing info you may need. I learned alot from this book and im sure you can too. However i did disagree w/ only one thing in the book and that's double clutching. In the book it says newer cars dont need to but i would strongly recommend double clutching especially when the tranny is under heavy stress.I feel any time you drive hard DOUBLE CLUTCH i cant stress that enough on wrx's w/ are weaker trannys By doing so your helping the syncros which are a fortune to replace and saving your expensive tranny. Plus double clutching isn't going to hurt if anything it might cost you a sec but then again slamming your gears in isn't gonna make you much fast either.. Plus remember practice makes perfect you'll probably get so good at double clutching you will eventually do it as fast as your normal driving.
Double Clutching
If you dont know how to double clutch its easy to learn. Your simply putting your tranny into neutral before ea. shift and you give then engine a quick rev. and select the next gear.
For ex. lets say your coming into a corner in 3rd your gonna do your breaking and everything like normal but before you down shift to 2nd you want to stop in neutral really quick a give it a small rev so its matches your engine and tranny speeds (which in-turn will save your syncros+ your tranny+ your cash and time) Remember to let out the clutch for the rev in between the shifts
ok guys well im out for now thanks for reading and be careful w/ your monsters on tha streets
#18 Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
STI tranny

OK maybe ill heat this forum up a little bit or at least try.... Im now planning on doing a complete drive terrain swap i just need the cash and i sadly dont know when ill have it but im saving up on it. My plan is to which to an R180 also know as an sti transmission. In order to do so i will need:
R180 (tranny)
DCCD controller
Front and rear Complete drive shaft which will include the rear diff and axles and hubs ect oh plus you get lsd
brembos or any other break kit that will fit and sti
Rims and tires of course
clutch and flywheel of course

just the tranny, dccd controller, and drive shafts front and rear will be about 4200 for very good condition condition (08 low miles) however 07 sti has the best gears

ON top of that cash you need about another 2 grand for a upgraded set of brembos or you could go buy used sti ones or get the local hook up from one of your friends who already upgraded

You also need a new set of rims and tires so i would say about 2 grand for that

Plus about another grand for an upgraded clutch and flywheel like one i already got just for my five speed (stupid mistake waste of money on my part) oh and wait wait wait dont forget that tranny fluid!!

Then for the icing on tha cake i wanna sell my tranny and throw in new syncros and maybe upgraded gears for tha sti tranny also the tranny mount Thats just me tho idk about you but i really dont trust anybody especially w/ that tranny i rather just not chance it and re do the whole thing while im at it and wasting the cah

OK if you wanted you to save ca$h buy the 3.9 Front diff ring and pinion set-up for your current tranny with that you need an automatic Impreza drive shaft and there is another option that might be cheaper to but idk so i rather not make up my own but im sure if you try hard and read forums or Google it you'll find it.....

Or you could just get RA gears like ppg gears which are really good and which was my first plan however they cost like 9 grand for the group n on rallisport and the other ones are like 3 grand i think and they only hold up to 400whp but no more then 5(Group N is much stronger) and to me all break those cause i plan on putting a gt35 in my car and i wanna build it for that specific reason.... so i need something to hold up plus i wont get an lsd like if i were to get an sti tranny

Overall i say sti tranny is the best option cause you can control you torque to the tires w/ the dccd controller and plus you get a lsd its really the cheaper option if your gonna see 400whp however if you never upgrade to a big turbo or never plan on seeing 400whp dont even bother save the cash and mod something else useful!!
However if you plan on doing off roading for fun or rallys i would go with sti tranny

In the end its what you want to do w/ you car and how far you wanna take it im still searching for sti performance and the only way to do that is with a stronger tranny... and yet its more then that still got to look at the suspension and the looks which might just be a challenge for my car but im up for it its all in the journey
#19 Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
At what point does the line get drawn that it's worth selling the WRX and just getting an STi? If this thread is about saving a little dough by doing it right the first time, then why not buy the car that has all the parts already. I mean, my reason for having a WRX comes to 2 things. 1, I really prefer the sedan (although the HB is finally really growing on me), and 2, I am happy with my car even at its current power and performance level, but do seek a little more. I'm looking to make mine a better performing WRX that makes me happy. I'm not trying to get something better than an STi, just something I'm truly satisfied with.

I do think that sounds like an awesome setup, I just would do the HB (still prefer the sedan) to get an STi for that cost. . . It doesn't seem justifiable, unless I've experience catastrophic transmission failure and I need to get something to replace my current tranny.
#20 Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I got quoted for Par Gears, stage 3 clutch/flywheel and an aftermarket front LSD, with buying parts and getting them installed its going to cost me around $6400. Those gears Im getting, good up to 800 WHP, MUCH cheaper than the STI tranny, or buying an STI tranny and then building it. Im sorry to say, but you have started preaching to the choir. Alot of this stuff is cookie cut from someone, or some place else. If you want to ask or share you experiences thats fine, but now you are rambling on really about nothing.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#21 Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
i got my wrx for 19,999$ before taxes and other random fees. i doubt you could get a new sti for anything lower then 33-34k being modest before taxes. 10K+ difference in parts
#22 Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
At what point does the line get drawn that it's worth selling the WRX and just getting an STi? If this thread is about saving a little dough by doing it right the first time, then why not buy the car that has all the parts already. I mean, my reason for having a WRX comes to 2 things. 1, I really prefer the sedan (although the HB is finally really growing on me), and 2, I am happy with my car even at its current power and performance level, but do seek a little more. I'm looking to make mine a better performing WRX that makes me happy. I'm not trying to get something better than an STi, just something I'm truly satisfied with.

I do think that sounds like an awesome setup, I just would do the HB (still prefer the sedan) to get an STi for that cost. . . It doesn't seem justifiable, unless I've experience catastrophic transmission failure and I need to get something to replace my current tranny.
once you make stage 3 sti like numbers, the tranny is gone imo.
#23 Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well this thread to me seems pointless... Talking about making your WRX into an STi, bashing the STi, and then talking about buying a crap ton of STi parts because they're better... You probably paid at least 25k for the 09 WRX. Add in your 4200 dollar tranny and 2k brakes, plus 2k wheels to fit those 2k brakes and you just bought an STi with a smaller turbo and not as nice an interior?

Makes no sense to me. If I knew I was going to build a car that needed a stronger tranny I would have bought an STi and it sounds like you should have too.

To each their own, but don't bash a fellow Subaru when you're trying to use a lot of the parts out of the car your bashing.

/rant

-Chris
#24 Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post

I totally agree w/ you but like you hate the HB's i think there so ugly and thats why i got a wrx especially w/ the announcement of more power and better handling.... and ass far as im going i know there will be tranny failure when i upgraded turbos so i wanna do it now why wait to drain my cash.? At least of i take my tranny out now i can sell it while its i good condition....like i said this forum is really headed toward sti performance im hoping by doing whis sap i will be able to get better aftermarket coilovers that they only sell for the sti.... and of course some other parts. But i do have to say i do love my wrx and the performance it already has but im just a speed freak i wanna go fast and fast!! I ride dirt bikes and murder cycles so i have a need for speed thats why i got a subie who else has a fast car that can go in the sand and still tow your dirt bikes.?
#25 Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutangjn12 View Post
once you make stage 3 sti like numbers, the tranny is gone imo.
NO way i got my wrx for 30 grand!!!
Oh i am making still number am at 300 and sum ill tell u exactly what when i get a tune coming up some time this week or next.
#26 Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Well this thread to me seems pointless... Talking about making your WRX into an STi, bashing the STi, and then talking about buying a crap ton of STi parts because they're better... You probably paid at least 25k for the 09 WRX. Add in your 4200 dollar tranny and 2k brakes, plus 2k wheels to fit those 2k brakes and you just bought an STi with a smaller turbo and not as nice an interior?

Makes no sense to me. If I knew I was going to build a car that needed a stronger tranny I would have bought an STi and it sounds like you should have too.

To each their own, but don't bash a fellow Subaru when you're trying to use a lot of the parts out of the car your bashing.

/rant
im not bashing on anybody the guy was bashing on me... i love any type of Subaru i get all excited when i see one especially sti i love them (old ones)....and it does make sense cause your saving finance charges and your actually getting better parts w/ that money ill have a stronger tranny notice how i said new syncros and gears... and also thats the price of the best brembo breaks that are 6 piston way better then the sti and the same goes for the dccd controller from vermount sports. plus its something different which is what i love the most how many people do you see w/ a sti full swap.?
#27 Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
This thread is amazing. Why not just get a low mileage 07 STi sedan?

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#28 Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
This thread is amazing. Why not just get a low mileage 07 STi sedan?
I wanted to but at the time i bought my car they were going for like 25 to 28 used!! You would end up paying way more cause of how high used car interest rates are way higher there you would pay way more for the car...idk about you but i dont wanna give away money to the bank. Plus who knows how bad the person before me drove it. How do I know the clutch wont give out or the tranny or how do you know if its not knocking with out the noise.? I just wouldnt want to waste my money like a buddie of mine who got what he thought was a good condition car and then a couple months later his clutch starts to slip then he finds out one of the left coilover is done. Then after that a couple months later 3 to fourth starts grind... im just not going to deal w/ that
#29 Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I got quoted for Par Gears, stage 3 clutch/flywheel and an aftermarket front LSD, with buying parts and getting them installed its going to cost me around $6400. Those gears Im getting, good up to 800 WHP, MUCH cheaper than the STI tranny, or buying an STI tranny and then building it. Im sorry to say, but you have started preaching to the choir. Alot of this stuff is cookie cut from someone, or some place else. If you want to ask or share you experiences thats fine, but now you are rambling on really about nothing.
How ppg official websites states that there only good up to four....and the other really good gears the strongest ones made for the wrx (group N) are selling for 8 grand on rallispec and thats already over your quoted price plus the install!!
#30 Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I just don't get why you nickel and dimed over stuff like interest rate jacking up the price of your car, or not wanting to spend the extra cash for the STi when you're going to spend it in aftermarket pars and put it on a credit card/pay cash for it anyways. All I'm sayin.

Yes if you buy a new WRX or a new STi and add the same parts to it you're obviously spending more with the STi, but add in the fact that you're adding a lot STi parts to your car that you could have had from day one and you're not really any better off cash wise. I'd rather have the parts financed and part of my payment than have to save up and get them. I guess I just don't get your logic on how the WRX is a better buy in your case.

All that aside, have fun with the build and I look forward to seeing the end results.

-Chris