09 WRX The Quest for Sti Performance - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
09 WRX The Quest for Sti Performance

Ok so i thought i would make a thread about my car... I got it in October of 2008 since then we have both come a long way we both have been through things and i have many great plans for the future. I'm sharing everything Ive done w/ her and my plans and all the stupid things we have done together hopefully to save you some ca$h and make your life a little easier. I will also be posting just random events i attend, and me and the club hanging out, info i come a cross, as well as some good books and mags i come across i hope you guys like it please leave comments, suggestions, and thoughts even your opinions. thanks in advance Chris
oh and sorry for the crappy writing skills, camera skills, or videos skills i dont have much experience doing this stuff and neither do all the people helping me. That leads me to say thanks to everybody who has helped me my team here in el paso oshiage, my friends in the club and anybody who had helped me along the way and especially my gf who hears about my car every day and hates it yet inspires me and listens to me about my car she also helps with some projects so thanks.

Well lets get started:
Ok so about my car... 09 wrx i was actually going for an sti but didn't really like the hatch so when i found out that the 09 wrx was close to sti performance if not at it i said hey why not get a wrx plus my parents liked the price over the sti so i thought that would be best for my parents sake plus maybe the cash we would save would go into my car. Anyways she was still all wrapped in plastic when i saw her but i instantly feel in love we made a few price deal and i got me the Rex for 30 grand w/ gap insurance, and rim and tires insurance
Its charcoal Grey with heated seats, upgraded sound system from factory, armrest extender (some people say its a must but i never use mine), and a 15 % tint thats pretty much all she came with.

The first thing i chose to get was a turbo timer because it keep the car on to let the oil circulate out of the turbo therefore it wont just burn and get stuck to the side walls of the turbo housing however people say a turbo timer isnt needed in modern cars especially if you use synthetic oil but i rather be safe then sorry its not gonna hurt its only like 100 dollar safety precaution.

Its a simple thing that might save you some cash plus u might find it in handy later cause it records your lap times, batter volts, and thats pretty much it.
ok so im updating this thing my pic just finished uploading so heres the picks.This pic shows the gap where i placed the gray box to the blitz turbo timer.
Heres the little box installed

here you can clearly see how i did the wiring.I packed everything in the steering wheel and made sure they stayed organized w/ zip ties. I then lead the wire to the turbo timer out the back right and slide it under the panel and lead it to the side of the seat where u see it pop out and lead to the turbo timer (black rectangle thing just above the shifter). I have to say this was a fairly easy install a beginner could do this all u need is simple hand tools.

You do have to take apart your car a little... the dash column comes apart w/ a simple screw and little clipss you kinda have to pull it apart hard dont be scared but dont be to ruff!! You also must
take apart the cover for the hand break to ground the wire. Its only held in place with snaps on the passenger side simply pop the spit w/ a screw driver but be careful not to damage your beautiful ride.

Last edited by chris02; 02-02-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: updatng/ adding pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
The Quest for Sti Performance update

After this i decided the next step would be a perrin exhaust. I got its for about 900 i think idk i got a little discount on it. But yeah this had to be next so i can hear the beautiful boxer rumble and so people can actually tell its a subie i got to say a lot of people love the way the dual exhaust looks under my car if you drive behind my u can see it, it looks pretty nice i gotta say. I love the sound its not to loud, yet not to quite its perfect for me (its not as loud as the N1 my buddie has one). Heres a little vid after the install.

The install was easy they have a good fit... however after i drove around i noticed it had a whistle at the high rpms i talk to perrin it was defective However they made it super easy to get a new mid pipe ) which was causing the problem0their great people!! They gave me like 3 or 4 choices to make it easy for me. When i was bolting it back up i over tightened the clamp and snapped it!! Man i was so bummed and i didnt want to be w/ out my car so i headed down to a local turbo shop and got a clamp for 3" turbo piping which was actually thicker and seems to me stronger so it all worked out in the end w/out any leaks or noises this time But i do have to fix the way the exhaust sits some time i notice that one side will be faced toward the sky while the other (left side) is looking at the floor this gets me so madd!! The rt side also sticks out a little more some times it happens every time after i fix it i guess its just the vibrations of the car i know it happens with my dads f350 too i guess its just normal...
heres the pic of the part that looks cool when driving behind me

heres a pic of the clamp i broke well the new one at least sorry kinda dirty haha

well thats pretty much all i have time for ill keep adding post every little while till i am up to date on my car i have lots to share so keep posted and subscribe...if u can thanks...
#3 Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Turbo timers really aren't necessary on our cars or that's what has been said over and over again. But, nice car and welcome to the club.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thanks for sharing this. THe new gens are coming along nicely. Not to be a pr!ck or anything, but if you are going to do writeups/how-to's post them in the "How To" section. Again though thanks for sharing and welcome to our family. Look forward to more updates.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
haha sorry will do kinda new to this stuff.
#6 Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I understand thats you are new. It happens. But its nice to see someone contributing to the new gen subies here on this site as we are kind of lacking on it a bit.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
I reach Sti performance in a straight line!!

IM gonna start this little section off w/ a launch on a stock car please vist that link and leave launching tips if possible thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/user/025chris.../3/BUDQy6n39Ws

Ok so back to the mods I quicly had to go stage 2 so i bought a cobb ap just like most other people would. I wen w/ the ap simply because it allows me to monitor my car as well as check the trouble shoot codes. I can make sure my car isnt knocking w/ the ap.(Kocking is what causes motors to blow for those of you who dont know.) It also allows me to etune in which i can datalog and then send the info to tuner and he can send me tunes via email this is great for me since the rep of local tuners is way down under in my area. I also liked it cause i can easily reflash my car at any time and especially for the anti theft map... You can tune your self using cobb software u can download from their web site or get costum tunes like a protune. So dont ever let anybody tell you your limtied when using an ap or let them say you cant tune as good cause you can and very good too you just need a custom tune from somebody who knows what their doing....Anyways i got mine for 400 and some off ebay so look around oh and if you happen to buy a used one make sure your getting an unmarried one.
AP Torubleshooting.?
call cobb they happy to help... but if you wanna do it your self but kind seem to do it cause your running into problems make sure your ap is up to date connect it to ap manager/ updater to be sure... sometimes its the simple things that you over look that hold you back.

OK so inorder to go stage 2 i had to get a down pipe (dp) i chose to go w/ invidia cause it was one of the best companies out w/ a catless dp out for my car, and the price. Invidia is a good company at least from what i heard so i decided to go w/ them. It had a great fit and didnt change the sound to much however it did make it a little deeper so if your worried about your car being to loud w/out cats iits really not.
If you hear the clip w/ my perrin exhaust and compare this one there really not much of a difference.
Plus they are the only company to make bellmouth/divorsed dp which means there is a little piece that seperates the gases as the come out of the turbo this helps alot of smaller (stock) turbos however if you are looking at upgrading your turbo like me a bellmouth w/out the divorced part may be better cause u may have to buy a new dp w/ your new turbo if you get a divorced.
also if you get a catless dp be sure u can pass inspection and you wont want to get it if u cant stand the smell of gas. But hey if you dont mind those to im sure you wont mind the big red flame that will come out of your exhaust when you back fire
Remember that you need a new turbo heat sheild when upgrading to a 3 inch dp!! I however left mine w/ no shielf which can cause heat soak in your engine bay.
When installing the dp I found it easier to remove the intercooler so i could remove the dp bolts. It really isnt that hard to remove and its only about 4 bolts. Remember to put wd40 on the stock dp bolts before you try to take off the stock dp it will help a lot!! i forgot to do that and man was it hell!! to take off those bolts..... other then that a dp install is super easy!! anybody can do it there are just a couple bolts...remember to use new gaskets.
heres a pic of the turbo and dp

OK so about the performance when i first got my car i wasnt launching it on the drag strip so my first time was 18.4 but my alttitude is really high so my car is slower but not that much!! lol i simply got that time because i passed the stage light and put it in reverse and before i knew it it was green lol. But after that i got a 14.018 at 97.06mph, with a 60 foot time of 2.068 still slow and not good but im still learning and remember where i live is way way way above sea level so my car is quite a bit slower here.

Anyways for the stage 2 w/ ACT 13lbs flywheel and street clutch
(i was launching) I reached sti performance in a straight line
I got my car my car to beat a stage 2 sti w/ alcohol!! He had all the same modds as me except for the flywheel but he had alcohol so i thought it was fair.
SO this is when i found out its possible i a wrx can be built to beat a sti!!......anyways me and my friend with a 240(sr20) got a best time of 13.77 my trap speed was 98.25, and the 60 foot was 1.9 so there is still room for improvement on times w/ driving practice.
heres a quick vid
a little launch looking at the speed on my ap w/ a shift light( i dont have it set at the right rpm so its going off alot)

Ok so i never mentioned i got a ACT 13 pound plywheel and super street clutch. Well i did right before those stage 2 runs... all i have to say is that flywheel is one of the best things i got for my car!! it allows the rpm to raise faster which kinda means a faster spool its like getting light weight pullies just where your tranny and engine meet. Oh and the flywheel is not light enough to make a check engine light (cel)come on so thats a plus if you go w/ an 11lbs i think it throws a cel just so you know. And about the clutch it feels really good and it seems to hold up after launches. if you plan on getting a light flywheel be prepared to hear some driveterrain chatters especially while it breaks in after that you dont hear it has much but their will definatly be those times...

OK now for some drap tips i can give hopefully you can leave me some cause i deffintly need some... ok well before i start revving to launch i let my clutch out right to where it berly holds i get let it out slowly until my car starts to move then quickly puch it in and hold it at about a tad in from where i felt the car start to move and i start to revv and launch(slip out the clutch) from there.becareful not to pop the clutch it cause major driveterrian shock and usually leads to blown trannies its better to waste the clutch then the tranny unless u have cash to throw away... another tip i have is to start to let the clutch out at the last yellow light before the green to get good 60 foot times feel free to add to my tips to help us learn!!
#8 Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
Hi Chris and welcome to the club! As Josh said, it's nice to get some more follow up and feedback on the newer rex's for sure. I've had to do tons of research just to find reviews on things I wanted to upgrade. It looks like you have been bit by one giant mod bud man, lol!

As far as the launching goes; I watched your posted you tube video and the first comment someone made was the first thing I saw when I watched it: Turn off the traction control! As for 'slipping the clutch', it's finding the sweet spot of revs and contact for this to really be effective. If you're in a little contact and it's catching, then get on the throttle more it will just eat your clutch. vice versa if you drop the clutch too quick you will either bog out and kill your time, or shock the drive train/tranny so hard something will break in no time. Likely the latter one will create both of those effects though. Personally I don't launch alot, nor do I run 1/4 mile tracks for times, but the best results for quick launches are that happy median where (as you already stated) you're sitting at a modest rpm at the stop, got your clutch right to where it's gonna grab, let it catch a decent amount and get up to speed (rotation between the clutch and engine), then get off it as soon as possible for full contact. There in is my issue since I don't launch enough for the perfect launch every time, but I get it pretty good most of the time. All about feeling and timing though right?

The simplest mods are sometimes the most helpful. I'll recommend you get the Group N tranny mount and some lock down bushings (be it Whiteline or whatever) for the differential and frame. You'll get a better feeling from the car which in turn keeps you in the know with what's going on inside. Just be careful if you're launching like that with a stiffer mount you will transmit the drive train shock to other components rather than the squishy tranny mount that comes stock. Check out Boost Addict's build thread and you'll see what happens to the stock one after beating on it a little, lol.

Keep the updates coming man and I hope we can help you out with your sweet new ride!

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
#9 Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I hate this "beat an STi" bullshit. Grow up.

Stage 2 WRX beats an STi? Perhaps if the sum measure of worth is bhp. Course, than the STi goes stage 2. Then you go alcohol. Then the STi goes alcohol. What's the damn point of "STi power"? Can't you just say "I wanted more power and this is how I did it" without shitting all over somebody else's car?

If you "live your life a quater mile at a time", an STi doesn't make much sense as a target. It has a tight ass 6-speed that needs 4 shifts in 1/8th mile as well as extra weight for lots of useful things like brembo brakes, wider tires, better sway bars, DCCD, etc etc etc. Your WRX btw would get it's ass handed to it on a drag strip by a $5,000 junkyard wonder.

*sigh*

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
chris02, thank you for taking your time to share your experiences with us...I enjoy reading your posts.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#11 Old 02-03-2010, 04:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post

Stage 2 WRX beats an STi? Perhaps if the sum measure of worth is bhp. Course, than the STi goes stage 2. Then you go alcohol. Then the STi goes alcohol. What's the damn point of "STi power"? Can't you just say "I wanted more power and this is how I did it" without shitting all over somebody else's car?

If you "live your life a quater mile at a time", an STi doesn't make much sense as a target. It has a tight ass 6-speed that needs 4 shifts in 1/8th mile as well as extra weight for lots of useful things like brembo brakes, wider tires, better sway bars, DCCD, etc etc etc. Your WRX btw would get it's ass handed to it on a drag strip by a $5,000 junkyard wonder.

*sigh*
Its nice to see you are still such a sweetheart mosc. Maybe you should grow up.

12.7 @ 109
#12 Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Mosc has some pretty valid points. You just have to deal with his "hardcore no bs responses" and look for the good info... it's really not worth getting all upset about.

John
07 WRX
#13 Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
Quote:

*sigh*
ok you people w/ stis need to grow up and give the respect where it needs to be you guys are all hating on a wrx cause its suppose to be cheap, slow , unstiff, and everything the sti should be but now the tables kinda turned and their pretty equally matched depending on what your doing. You guys have to give credit to subaru for making sure a great cat and just be happy subaru is advancing cause after this happen you should know stis are gonna be a better car in the near future w/ more power and better handling. Dont quote me on that but come on that usually happens w/ companies they need the ca$h from stis...anyways as you did give some good info which everybody knows already!! but if you qould chill and stop talking shit and let me finish writing up my post you would see that planning on making this an autocross car or time trail car so all that crap is gonna be put in my car so i figured out how to do it already just need some cash....im gonna post a write up about that and all the crap you need so chill......oh and by the way the sti was running alcohol not me so he should have one not matter how you look at it. I mean are cars (wrx's) are slow and they suck just like you and everybody else w/ an sti thinks dont they.?
#14 Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'm not hating on WRX's, I'm hating on YOU. Did I make a thread whining about WRX performance being so inferior and all the rest of what you just said? No. Because I don't think any of that. What I do think is people need to stop bench racing.

The following is in MOD voice:
Bench racing is disruptive, non-constructive, and against the rules. Any further comparison of "beating X" or "faster than Y" between car models is not allowed here. Period.
Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums - FAQ: Site Policies & Guidelines

Quote:
No "bench racing". Bench racing is defined as posting hypothetical questions to try and see how fast or how powerful your car is, or will be. If you want to know what time to expect at the track, whether or not your car can beat another specified car, or how much power it will have with a particular modification (or mod list), then go to the track or the dyno and find out for sure. Do not ask for people to guess in our forums. It's pointless and it wastes space. Serious enthusiasts go out and do it, they don't talk about doing it. If you're not serious about performance, find another online community to be apart of.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris02 is an unknown
For the Ignorant mosc

Quote:
I'm not hating on WRX's, I'm hating on YOU. Did I make a thread whining about WRX performance being so inferior and all the rest of what you just said? No. Because I don't think any of that. What I do think is people need to stop bench racing.

The following is in MOD voice:
Bench racing is disruptive, non-constructive, and against the rules. Any further comparison of "beating X" or "faster than Y" between car models is not allowed here. Period.
Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums - FAQ: Site Policies & Guidelines
No your hating on wrxs and what the can do....and i did not say the wrx was better i simply said my quest for sti performance so that tells you the sti is better to say it in you a stupid way for you to understand. and just so you know i don't bench race i race and fix my car and you would know this if you were to see the vid of me beating an sti then you wouldnt call it bench racing hu.

there it is. i hope u like the vid of my cheaper car beating your more expansive spec.
This shows you that you should stop being so ignorant and take your head out of your ass cause you think you own such a bad ass car thats better then any other subie when really its just a tad better this shows the wrx can now do anything an sti can.