Subaru WRX Forum banner

09 wrx, FMIC, Blow-through tuning done!!

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  synolimit 
#1 · (Edited)
Wow today was a long day!! We had tons of problems with T-bolt clamps and boost leaks, throttle body coupler blowing off boost tube several times, ect ect. End results were good but man if fought every step of the way.

One point I wanted to make, the TurboXS MAF housing I used for the blow-through at 66mm ID WAS to small (you know who you are that told me). Good thing I brought my extra 3” OD pipe I used when I went blow-through with a 73mm ID. We cut off the MAF housing and welding it onto the new pipe and it worked like a charm!

Going FMIC on the VF52 I must say is a must do!! We changed everything you see in RED and marked NEW so im sure it all helped but as you see we produced ZERO LAG!! And even moved the power curve ever so slightly to the left. Again lots of things changed but from the pics you can see the new RED line torque and power curve never touched the old blue lines!

Best of the day we made 318HP targeting 20psi tapering to 14.5psi and 366TQ. However they just weren’t as smooth as Eric would like them to be so be backed things down ever so slightly and made the lines a lot smoother and ended up at 313HP targeting 19.5psi tapering to 14.5psi and 357TQ.

Over all we made power everywhere! 21HP and 49TQ.

Event: dyno pull and street tune
Ambient Temp: 72 dyno, 30 street NEW 72 dyno, 55 street
Elevation: 902ft
Weather: cloudy
Tires: Bridestone Winter WS-60 215/45/17 NEW stock Dunlop 225/45/17

Car: 09, wrx
Tuner: Eric Hargett
Dyno Info: Dynojet
Peak HP at RPM: SAE corrected 1.0, 292HP 6100RPM NEW 313HP 5900RPM
Peak TQ at RPM: SAE corrected 1.0, 308TQ 3700RPM NEW 357TQ 3600RPM
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: stock 09 wrx 230HP
Target Boost: 17 NEW 19.5 taper to 14.5
Target AFR: 11.1
Fuel: 93 Sunoco unleaded winter NEW Shell 93 summer blend
Injectors/duty cycle: Stock 540cc/90%
Timing: 18 degrees NEW 21 degrees

Engine Modifications:
Pro tune
TurboXS CBE
Perrin light weight pulley
Perrin UP
Invidia catless DP
TurboXS CAI
Gimmspeed 3-port EBCS
Walbro 255lph pump
NGK 1 step colder plugs
NEW TurboXS FMIC
NEW TurboXS RFL BOV
NEW Custom blow-through
NEW Greddy oil catch can

See less See more
#3 ·
i accually feel the kick in the chest hard now so i love the 357TQ! if i do headers, EWG, injectors and E85 motor wont blow but TQ will be well over 400! its a beefy LGT tranny so i just need to drive carefull. i only like 3rd gear pulls every now and again so ill be ok. full boost i dont know. max TQ at 3600rpm so if that means then...but your chest getting kicked in is about 3000rpm

#4 ·
Well I know I make max boost a bit north of 3300, but tq doesn't peak until almost 4k. I'm still holding 250 lb-ft above 3k rpm's though.

I'm not holding my breath on having a "beefy" LGT tranny. The only thing I know was improved was the input shaft, everything else as long as I'm concerned is the same as it used to be. Regardless the LGT 6spd tranny is the strong one, not necessarily the 5spd.

The big thing to avoid is driveline shock... Aka don't be driving it on the highway, drop to 3rd and go. At least rev match and ease into any acceleration rather than dropping the gear and hitting the gas.

All I know is once I do my ewg and motor/tranny mounts I'm probably going to save most of my cash for the transmission before I add any more power. I want to have a feeling of safety, and not "I hope it holds".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.