08 wrx VTA BOV - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Colby1321 is an unknown
08 wrx VTA BOV

i wanna put a vta bov on my 08 wrx. i know its mostly for the sound and i have read that it can cause idle problems and even backfire issues. How would i install one and have it run good at idle and not backfire and shit? get it to run properly. I have a AP if that helps at all.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby1321 View Post
i wanna put a vta bov on my 08 wrx. i know its mostly for the sound and i have read that it can cause idle problems and even backfire issues. How would i install one and have it run good at idle and not backfire and shit? get it to run properly. I have a AP if that helps at all.

Thanks
There is no way to stop it from backfiring, or tune for it. Also I am not sure where you got the info that it would cause idling problems, but that is wrong.

I have the HKS SSQV BOV on mine and with the catless dp and AP stage 2 I have very minimal backfiring issues now.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
#3 Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Colby1321 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
There is no way to stop it from backfiring, or tune for it. Also I am not sure where you got the info that it would cause idling problems, but that is wrong.

I have the HKS SSQV BOV on mine and with the catless dp and AP stage 2 I have very minimal backfiring issues now.
how did it run before the catless dp and stage 2? im only running stage 1 now but will eventally get stage 2. Do you have any problems getting stickers with a catless dp? hows the sound?
#4 Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
how did it run before the catless dp and stage 2? im only running stage 1 now but will eventally get stage 2. Do you have any problems getting stickers with a catless dp? hows the sound?
It ran fine with the Stage 1 installed. Once I added the DP and Stage 2 it got even better. The backfires are now minimal if any. High revs and then dumping the clutch while driving will cause backfire, but just driving regular I have now issues.

Not sure what you mean by "stickers"?

The stock/ stage 1 sound is good. Stage 2 and dp makes it louder. Add an intake and it will get even louder.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#5 Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Colby1321 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
It ran fine with the Stage 1 installed. Once I added the DP and Stage 2 it got even better. The backfires are now minimal if any. High revs and then dumping the clutch while driving will cause backfire, but just driving regular I have now issues.

Not sure what you mean by "stickers"?

The stock/ stage 1 sound is good. Stage 2 and dp makes it louder. Add an intake and it will get even louder.

inspection stickers. with no cat, will a CEL be on. In Massachusetts if a CEL is on you fail the inspection immediately or if its concidered to be "too loud".
#6 Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
inspection stickers. with no cat, will a CEL be on. In Massachusetts if a CEL is on you fail the inspection immediately or if its concidered to be "too loud".
Yeah the car hasn't thrrown any CELs. Plus if by some chance it does, your AP will be able to clear those. (It is important to understand though what codes are by given. There may be an indication of other problems, so no matter what always read your codes before you clear them.)

Also, when you change your maps the ECU will not see these as issues and there will be no CELs.

red is reserved for moderation. Please don't use red text
-mosc

10-4

You may need to fix the rest of my post on my build thread. (Just food for thought, take it out of the color choices so no one will use it like I did)

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD

Last edited by Subbie; 02-02-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added some important info (in red)
#7 Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Colby1321 is an unknown
thanks for all your help

^^also ho did you go about painting your wheels? Ive wanted to do that but am hesitant ### i dont want it to come out bad lol. urs look good tho, i wanted to paint mine black as well, matte black prefferabley
#8 Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
thanks for all your help

^^also ho did you go about painting your wheels? Ive wanted to do that but am hesitant ### i dont want it to come out bad lol. urs look good tho, i wanted to paint mine black as well, matte black prefferabley
The wheels were painted that color when I got it. I am taking my to be powdercoated next week time frame depending on if the weather parts around here.

There are some threads on painting wheels on the site.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
#9 Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

413TreX is an unknown
Quote:
I too live in MA, when i had my 03 wrx i had it stage 2 turboXS TBE it had a hiflo cat in the midsection but it was with the stock muffler it wasnt too loud and i passed flying colors. and some random person that i didnt know passed it so that wasnt the issue