08 WRX stock turbo dead? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08Subie is an unknown
08 WRX stock turbo dead?

I went to a subaru a couple of days ago to get a up-pipe installed on my wrx. Subaru did a shitty job putting it back together. The left a bolt off my up-pipe and i drove to work and turned back around and came right back to subaru. They took another look and told me nothing was wrong. Needless to say i told them to look again where they found a bolt "missing" from the up-pipe they installed. Since then I've been hearing the strangest sound under boost.

I took it to a performance shop and to a couple buddys and they all told me the same thing....something wrong with my turbo. If i slowly accelerate and kind of stay out of boost the car sounds normal but as soo as i punch the throttle it sounds like if you were to talk into a fan (best way i can explain the sound) so my guess is while my up-pipe wasn't on properly something either damaged one of the fins or something and under pressure its perhaps rubbing on the housing or is it something else all together? Thats my best guess. I'm 90% sure its not my engine because if it was i would be hearing it the entire time correct? Im going to try and take off the turbo this weekend and see if there is a lot of play and what not and if i can see anything wrong.

Any idea's? anyone else heard of this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You went to a subaru what? Dealership? Performance shop? I don't know why you even considered getting a UP. There is no cat in the UPs' from 06 on. Its not a performance mod, just a safety mod on the older models. Its either installed incorrectly or you probably have a pre-turbo boost leak. Since you're stating there's a extra bolt or a bolt missing? That's all I can get from your post.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Step 1: Put on your stock uppipe with new seals and see if the sound goes away.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08Subie is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
You went to a subaru what? Dealership? Performance shop? I don't know why you even considered getting a UP. There is no cat in the UPs' from 06 on. Its not a performance mod, just a safety mod on the older models. Its either installed incorrectly or you probably have a pre-turbo boost leak. Since you're stating there's a extra bolt or a bolt missing? That's all I can get from your post.
I went to subaru to get the part installed.

Then went to a performance shop to get it looked at (The subaru dealership here is super sketchy!!)

Ill tryputting my stock up-pipe on and see what happens....
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
What made you want to get an uppipe installed in the first place is what confuses me.

The subaru place you went to was it just like a parts shop? There are also subaru performance shops but you just went to a dealership?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

08Subie is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx9wagon View Post
What made you want to get an uppipe installed in the first place is what confuses me.

The subaru place you went to was it just like a parts shop? There are also subaru performance shops but you just went to a dealership?
no we only have subaru dealerships here with there shop. no performance shop. The performance shops here are all privately owned and do work on anything from a muscle car to a brand new import.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Just looking for clarification brother. The dealership probably installed it wrong. I'd try out what visix said first. Change the gaskets first and see if the sound goes away. Probably the cheapest way to check it. Besides ripping everything apart and inspecting it. You can do both. If it gives you piece of mind though.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I dont think you are giving us all the information we need. What brand UP do you have on it now?

Did the dealership install the bolt after you pointed it out to them?

I personally would not do anything to your car because as soon as you touch it they are going to say it's your fault and not theirs. You need to get them to take it out on a test drive and get some boost readings. Only thing I would do on your part is reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and see if that fixes anything.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #9 of 9 Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
+1 to that.
Why not just make the dealership fix it?