08 wrx catless DP - Subaru WRX Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
Colby1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 30
Images: 2
Colby1321 is an unknown
Talking 08 wrx catless DP

advantages/disadvantages compared to catted (besides being cheaper which is a big plus)ha

wanna run stage 2
will it cause CEL to come on and i can turn it off if it does with AP correct?
Will I be able to pass state inspection? Exhaust wont be too loud?

Brand reccomendations for one
Colby1321 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Subbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 254
Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby1321 View Post
advantages/disadvantages compared to catted (besides being cheaper which is a big plus)ha

wanna run stage 2
will it cause CEL to come on and i can turn it off if it does with AP correct?
Will I be able to pass state inspection? Exhaust wont be too loud?

Brand reccomendations for one
There are many different brands and you will get many recommendations from different people on here. I personally went with HKS DP. (Just because I have used them before and like them.)

There are many different brands to choose from. Just depends on your budget and spec of the dp you are looking for.

With the Stage 2 map your ECU will be programed for the dp. So no CELs for the dp.

With a high flow cat you will pass, you will also pass with a catless if they don't hook up your exhaust to the meter.

As for the sound, with the dp installed the exhaust profile doesn't change much.

Also, I might have missed it somewhere but what exhaust are you running?

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
Subbie is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
Colby1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 30
Images: 2
Colby1321 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
There are many different brands and you will get many recommendations from different people on here. I personally went with HKS DP. (Just because I have used them before and like them.)

There are many different brands to choose from. Just depends on your budget and spec of the dp you are looking for.

With the Stage 2 map your ECU will be programed for the dp. So no CELs for the dp.

With a high flow cat you will pass, you will also pass with a catless if they don't hook up your exhaust to the meter.

As for the sound, with the dp installed the exhaust profile doesn't change much.

Also, I might have missed it somewhere but what exhaust are you running?
stock right now but i will be getting a perrin cbe in the future when i get the funds.
im also gonna be getting a new up pipe as well, looking at perrin
Colby1321 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Subbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 254
Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby1321 View Post
stock right now but i will be getting a perrin cbe in the future when i get the funds.
im also gonna be getting a new up pipe as well, looking at perrin
I would wait to go stage 2 until you get the exhaust also.

cobb . wrx accessport . map listing

Check out the map details for each one.

Up-pipe is not necessary on these models because they no longer have a cat in them. Therefore it is useless unless you plan on doing more mods in the future. i.e. headers, turbo, etc.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
Subbie is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Moderator
 
mosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,501
Images: 7
mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Remember the performance gain on a stock turbo from changing the downpipe is in the WASTEGATE EXHAUST FLOW, not the CAT. The CAT is not a restriction. The stock turbo downpipe is horrible basically shooting the output of the wastegate into a 90 degree piece of metal and then merging back into the main exhaust stream. It's disruptive. The gain is in going to a Bellmouth downpipe. It makes such a difference that you really need to tune for it on the 04+ WRX's. Anyway, just remember it's not the CAT removal that does much. If you don't want a car that stinks and sounds like a lawnmower, you can get a catted bellmouth downpipe which will pretty much give you the same gains as one without a CAT. Cats are about $150.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
mosc is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Hondafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 531
Images: 2
Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
And you don't really need a CBE exhaust before you get the DP. It'll give you a nice sound, but that's it. The catless DP will make the car louder than a catted one.
Hondafan is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Subbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 254
Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Well I guess mine "STINKS AND SOUNDS LIKE A LAWNMOWER".

The "cat" DOES restrict flow.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD

Last edited by Subbie; 02-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Subbie is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,980
pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ True, it does, but to a point that a mere 3-5 hp gain to do it ??.... Just doesn't seem worth it in the long run. Even though we don't get sniffer tested here... I believe they do in Mass.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
pzr2874 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Moderator
 
mosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,501
Images: 7
mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
3-5hp gain is bull. It's not a restriction. <1hp on a stock WRX turbo comparing a catted bellmouth to a bellmouth. I've seen it back to back on the same car on the same dyno. I've seen subarus make 350whp with a CAT as well. It CAN be a restriction when you get a bigger turbo, but it's over stated. The Dowpipe is a huge restriction, but not because of the CAT.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
mosc is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,980
pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm just pullin #'s out of thin air... I have nothing on it. I've always had a cat in all my DP's... Does Mass do sniffer tests ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
pzr2874 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
Colby1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 30
Images: 2
Colby1321 is an unknown
i beleive mass does. I know that if you have cel on you fail automatically but i dont think any places use a meter or anything, well that ive seen. I think if it wasnt crazy loud like a fart can muffler it would pass no problem.
Colby1321 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Hondafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 531
Images: 2
Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
There are ways to pass even with a sniffer, depending on your mods. I would just get the catted DP to be safe. I didn't have a cat on my '02 and I had to just bring it in to get tested (with the sniffer) when it was hot. I ran it on the freeway and went straight to the shop to get it tested. They didn't perform a visual test obviously, although in UT you're supposed to. I didn't complain.
Hondafan is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 104
ajtoce is more helpful than not
i run a catless dp. i have NO PROBLEMS with exhaust smell or the way it sounds. I've heard the warnings that catless will make your car smell, but i dont have that problem. i got a brand new invidia dp for $170, no way was i gonna pay and extra $200 for a catalytic converter.

God is love
ajtoce is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Subbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 254
Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
3-5hp gain is bull. It's not a restriction. <1hp on a stock WRX turbo comparing a catted bellmouth to a bellmouth. I've seen it back to back on the same car on the same dyno. I've seen subarus make 350whp with a CAT as well. It CAN be a restriction when you get a bigger turbo, but it's over stated. The Dowpipe is a huge restriction, but not because of the CAT.
I understand that going to an open bellmouth is what your main restriction with the DP, but I guess I took as you were stating that the CAT had no restriction.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
Subbie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome