08 WRX boost spike question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

santacruz724 is an unknown
08 WRX boost spike question

Hey guys. Today i was slowly accelerating on the highway and i felt my car stutter and drop about 500 rpm and catch back up an instant after. I tried to re-enact the situation a few times and i couldnt do it. However, while i was playing around i noticed that if i fully accelerate in 4th or 5th gear starting at about 3k-3.5k rpms my car would over boost to about 22/23 psi(tuned to 19 psi). I got these readings on my accessport and on my boost gauge. I have a bigger tmic, intake, high flow downpipe, and catback installed. I also got my car pro tuned with all of these mods in place and my car has been running beautifully for the past year. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could randomly start causing issues like this. I gave my boost hoses a quick once over but it was getting dark by the time i got home and i also tried cleaning my maf sensor. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Any CELs or codes?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cold weather can cause the car to overboost as the colder, more dense air = more air mass going through the turbo.

Your best bet is to get a 3-port ebcs and get tuned for that as well, it'll help eliminate boost spiking. If you add EWG boost spikes will be gone forever.

Also, it's really only in low rpm, high load situations like flooring it in 4th or 5th gear, so in the future just know the car doesn't like that and downshift.

-Chris
post #4 of 4 Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

santacruz724 is an unknown
Thanks for the quick responses. The car has no CEL or codes thrown and whats strange is the car wasn't doing anything funny in the colder weather. It was actually one of the warmest days of the winter yesterday. I reset my learned data and reloaded my AP map just to make sure and the problem still persisted. I will look into the ebcs or wastegate options for a bit more reliability i just find it strange that this randomly started occuring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement