08 WRX AEM intake+Agency CBE - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

stolenteg is an unknown
08 WRX AEM intake+Agency CBE

Would these mods change the a/f ratio enough to require a new tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

upgnotorious is an unknown
I take it that you mean you do not have any tune on your car now, correct? The catback exhaust should not make that big of a deal, but the AEM intake is the questionable aspect. The only intake for the 2008/2009 wrx that I have heard will work with a stock tuned ECU is the perrin and even though they are a reputable company I personally would not trust that. The stock airbox is fine and just put a drop in panel filter in. If you are dead set on the AEM intake, I would definately get a pro tune to be safe and not run any risks of damaging your car.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
Actually the stock airbox on the 08/09 is compleate junk and i have read that the AEM will not require a tune i would look farther into it though.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

COBB_08wrx is an unknown
i would go with a tune for sure i did tons of research before i did anything to my 08 and there are motors that have been ruined because of people putting intakes on without a tune ....now 09's are something i havent looked into. i agree that the stock airbox is junk but when i hooked up my access port and wideband on a stock map with the perrin intake it definetly leaned out (fact)

WOMPSHH
post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
A tune would be safer and better just for the fact that you will be bale to get more power out of the car and mods.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

operadude is more helpful than not
AEM by itself and or with a catback will make more power even without a tune and would be perfectly fine. Stage 1 tune + AEM intake will need a special tune for the intake.
Stage 1 and stage 2 tunes on an 08 don't seem to make much more if any power with a CAI compared to a K&N drop in air filter though.
Does anyone have a dyno with stage 1 or 2 tune with an air intake and one with just a drop in K&N air filter on the same car?
I suspect once you tune the car, the benefits of a cold air intake don't account for much compared to just a drop in K&N. I suspect it will definitely make a difference on a bigger turbo but can't see the stock 08 needing to flow more air than can already be had with the stock box and a K&N.
I know that there is the perception out there that the 08 stock intake isn't so good because of numbers made in a Sport Compact Car issue last year but that was before a stage 1 tune with the same set up.
I'm not so convinced until someone can post a stage 1 or 2 tune with and without a cold air intake on the same car.
I went with a K&N drop in filter and XPT Tune by the way. Their Stage 1 & 2 tune come with both maps for an AEM cold air intake and 1 for just a drop in K&N. Their stage 2 map also comes with a special map for E85 gas.

Fabio
2008 VF52 WRX Opensource Magnus Motorsports Stage 3 Tune

Last edited by operadude; 04-24-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement