08 WRX 300-350 whp Turbo choices - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wrxsubie2008 is more helpful than not
08 WRX 300-350 whp Turbo choices

I am looking for some help on which turbo to choose to get 300 to 350 whp out of my 08 wrx sedan. Now I dont care if its a direct bolt on or not because I will go with a FMIC if I have to. I plan on doing supporting mods for turbos also such as fuel pump, injectors, DP, UP, CAI, thinking of doing and external waste gate, and full 3 inch exhaust.

New to modding subarus and could use some help so that I dont screw myself over and get something wrong.

O and of course i will be getting a PROTUNE once all is said and done.

Thannks,

Everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Vf52 from an 09 WRX will do it but it'll be maxed out. Blouch 20g (FMIC) or 480xt (TMIC layout) and call it a day.

Bare minimum I would do injectors, TBE, intercooler. Good to-do's would be intake, 3-port. Nice to have's but not necessary would be port the stock exhaust manifold or aftermarket headers.

Only do the up-pipe if you're going to go EWG, the gains just aren't there unless you need to pull the stock pipe for the EWG setup.

-Chris
#3 Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Vf52 from an 09 WRX will do it but it'll be maxed out. Blouch 20g (FMIC) or 480xt (TMIC layout) and call it a day.

Bare minimum I would do injectors, TBE, intercooler. Good to-do's would be intake, 3-port. Nice to have's but not necessary would be port the stock exhaust manifold or aftermarket headers.

Only do the up-pipe if you're going to go EWG, the gains just aren't there unless you need to pull the stock pipe for the EWG setup.
Thank you this helps alot now are there other 20g options besides the blouch 20g because I will probably go with a FMIC since it allows for more turbo choices. I actually planned on doing a 3-port just forgot to list it.

As for the uppipe I would probably do one just for a ewg.

Sorry im still new to all this.
#4 Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Porting helps flow

Look here for other stuff:

GrimmSpeed

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
If your looking into Blouch make sure you get a good look at the Dominator BB turbo's great stuff. All of them are near 500hp and the 1.5XT-R starts spooling low 3k's huge power band. Lots of low end rip your stock tranny out up to good 400ish whp. The Dominator 3 doesn't really spool till around 4k, but it will blow the stock motors right out of your car if you want to. The 1.5 flows much like the 20XT on top and spools much sooner a bit pricer but just options.
#6 Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

PZR2874 Thanks I was just there and found a price for the porting with a crosspipe and with having it tapped for egt.

cwinterbower I have heard nothing but good things about blouch turbos from what I hear it seems like I should go with a 20g but I dont wanna lose to much of that low end power the 1.5XT-R is sounding like the turbo to go with but going to keep my options open.

Any other turbo options that will give me my 300-350whp goal while not losing the low end power completely?
#7 Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
From the sound of it you're not even stage 2 yet. Still stock for that matter. Aren't you a jumping in a bit too far?

And you're forgetting a lot of stuff beyond what you've listed that you will need.
#8 Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrxsubie2008 View Post
I am looking for some help on which turbo to choose to get 300 to 350 whp out of my 08 wrx sedan. Now I dont care if its a direct bolt on or not because I will go with a FMIC if I have to. I plan on doing supporting mods for turbos also such as fuel pump, injectors, DP, UP, CAI, thinking of doing and external waste gate, and full 3 inch exhaust.

New to modding subarus and could use some help so that I dont screw myself over and get something wrong.

O and of course i will be getting a PROTUNE once all is said and done.

Thannks,

Everyone
I would assume by the original post, that he is aware of the larger turbo needing support.
Not jumping down your s***, but hate to see someone asking for help being chastised. If I was buying a new STI/WRX, I would do it in one swoop as well, makes tuning things easier. Just make sure you set your wgdc's to 0 across the board before you drive it, injector tuning will be obvious as it won't even idle.
-Carl
#9 Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Also, if you are looking for a SAFE turbo look into an EVO3 16G <-- Honestly, I'm not getting kickbacks for pushing this snail. LOL

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Could also consider the 20g-xtr... BB 20g. It's a tad smaller than the new 20g-xt's but it's the same size as the old 20g's, just ball bearing.

-Chris
#11 Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks everyone I am well away of all supporting mods needed but a's winter said I plan on doing it all in one swoop. I am just looking at my turbo options right now plan is to save money up buy parts little but at a time once all parts are collected put all parts on push car onto a trailer tow car to tuning shop push car of trailer onto dyno and tune it. I feel this is much eaiser than going for multiple tuning sessions/dyno runs. Right now I am just not sure what turbo to get I pretty much know everything else that I will be needing just not sure on what turbo.
#12 Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ask yourself 2 questions.

1-Do I want to chance poping the engine with TOO big of a charger.
2-What are my longterm goals (ie..Drag, auto-x, track...etc)

From there everyone will give a little more accurate feedback.

Also, as Justin (brfatal) said

Getting used to newfound power/mods little by little is sometimes better.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks pzr now the answers to your to questions are

1) I dont want to big of a turbo to have the chance of popping the engine.

2) The long term goals would be auto-x and some track but just for fun not track for racing auto-x would be mainly what the car would be used for.
#14 Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
New gearset couldn't hurt....i know there havent been many cases of tranny problems on the newer wrxs but i know i wouldn't wanna be "that guy". Just sayin. Good luck btw.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#15 Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrxsubie2008 View Post
Thanks pzr now the answers to your to questions are

1) I dont want to big of a turbo to have the chance of popping the engine.

2) The long term goals would be auto-x and some track but just for fun not track for racing auto-x would be mainly what the car would be used for.

Well,
You change your turbo out completly... you are in a diff class. Get the stocker all done up and you will stay in STU/STX.

You will want the same spool if not quicker.... 20G's are out of the question. 18G's are as well (I'm gonna hear it).

Look into the benefits of porting the td04 or a big 16G.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3