08 Pnp - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You don't need straight cut gears. They're loud. The PPG fully syncroed gears can handle clutch drops from a car at those power levels no problems.

Your internals should be OK. Course, you're putting out probably double what they were designed for at that point so don't expect 100k miles or anything...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Cobraonchrom is an unknown
What internals do you recommend upgrading? just pistons? or would rods be inorder aswell.
post #18 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM

Garage
I don't recommend upgrading anything Internally. I don't think it's very cost effective. I'd just tune the car conservatively and live with it. If you want to push a massive turbo to it's limits though, serious internal work is just a matter when, not if. Subaru Boxer-4s are quite solid and can handle amazing HP/liter. Everything has a limit though.

There is no HP number where less than which you can drive for a million miles with no engine problems and above which it will die in a week. It's a gradual thing.

Certainly with a massive turbo and a bulletproof PPG gearbox, your engine does start to look limiting. There's always more to do, that's part of the fun? Even after the engine internals were all suped up, you'd just move on to the next bottleneck.

post #19 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tru Tru. I'm just trying to get everything mapped out. I get a nice fat check at the end of the year (gotta love profit sharing) so I'm getting an early start on picking stuff out so when I get check in hand, I've already budgeted and planned it all out.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Garage
well, you may want to be more descriptive of your goals and/or budget then. It would help give more meaningful advise.

post #21 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well I figure I should be able to push 350+ whp. All in all early next year I'll have 13g to play with. I was goin to play around the PnP stuff but I figured it's a waste of money when I'm goin to replace it.
post #22 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Garage
Well, I would if I were you trade in the WRX on an STi.

post #23 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yea I did consider that, but I'm not sure if I wanna do that. I was looking at turbos on forcedperformance are the 08's the same style turbo as the ones shown? Like would the evo3 16g fit my car?
post #24 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
cobraonchrom: take a look at this. 2007 STI parts to 2008 WRX if the turbos look like the one on the left of dumdum's post. then yes that will work.

Forced Performance Turbochargers No....those turbos won't work. I'd hate to tell you to do this. But, if you have a tuneshop that you trust. See if they can finaggle something for you. My local tuner has a good relationship with blouch turbo and upgraded their 08 sti turbo wheel from the 40 to a 50. That's about as good as I can tell you. I'm not to knowledgeable about where to find turbos for the 08 models.

Last edited by turmic; 07-29-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: looked at forcedperformance
post #25 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Garage
The point of that thread was that the parts are NOT compatible. The 08 uses a different design. FP's page for 02-07 Subaru Turbos will not fit on the 08.

Looking at FP's website, it does not appear they carry ANY turbos for the 08 yet.

post #26 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yea after I got home from work I did some looking around. If my intercooler didn't bolt directly onto it, it would fit. I guess I shoulda paid more attention haha. But I did find some people that were using front mounts with older wrx style turbos.
post #27 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM

Garage
an 04-07 STi could be had and seriously tuned for less than the trade + 13Gs your talking about. The STi's 6-speed is pretty strong, it has the same 2.5L, and it has lots of side benefits like DCCD, bigger brakes, a better suspension, etc.

Even the 08 STi starts looking like a good value if you don't hate the hatch. Yay VDC and you get those nice 245/40/18s too. Mmmmm, meat.

post #28 of 31 Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Haha, my local tune shop put 19s rays engineering gun metal rims on their 08 sti...looks freaking sick. Especially since their STI is a black 08. thread jacking I know, but you mentioned the added wheel space mosc.
post #29 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 AM

Garage
Wheel space? No, that's not at all what I meant. The 08 STi has wider fenders to hand 26" tall tires (the 04-07 has 25") as well as 8.5" wide rims supporting 245 wide meats easily.

19" rims I could care less about. A car designed for 26" wheels though is an improvement. It's shocking to me how many Suby owners overlook that very important shift. The 08 STi's wheels are awesome not because they're 18s, they're awesome because they're taller than any USDM impreza to date which gives much more rubber upgrade options later. Hell, you could probably throw some 275/35/18s on there effortlessly.

post #30 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

QTP WRX Header Systems

I was originally just going to PnP my headersand get a hiflow crosspipe but these look like they might be a good deal. I believe I heard that all the wrx headers are the same even the 08's....any truth to that?