011' WRX tune with MAganflow and AEM, help! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

2011boostdhatch is an unknown
011' WRX tune with MAganflow and AEM, help!

Guys i have all the aprts waiting to go on the car as soonas i get the damn thing (it has been over 9-weeks since ordered), but my firend told me i will blow the engine if i put the AEM on the car and that the MAganaflow is fine, but not with the AEM?

So i looked into the Acessport at cobb as they have a tune for the Maganaflow and intake. do i need this? I had an intake and exhaust w/hf cat on my speed3 and never had a problem? Help am i going to blow this thing up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
best info is right here

is this you?!

tune it!! one way or the other!

2011 tuning questions help newbee! - Page 2 - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#3 Old 11-27-2010, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
Coming from highly-moded Evos I have to say the Subies are generally speaking more sensitive to mods.

Cobb has stage 1 maps + AEM intake. Stock cat-back or after-market cat-back = stage 1. So find the right map from the Cobb site at a minimum. Your best best is a protune but if you have AP then please just find the right map on Cobb's site and you're g2g.

Steve ... '11 WRX H/B ... Perrin Stage 2
#4 Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

2010hatch is an unknown
Ok purchased cobb and going to load the stage-1 map, but what does the higer and lower wastegate duty cycle mean?
#5 Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

crazyfast is an unknown
Hey 2010hatch,

I don't intend this to be mean, but helpful, so please take it as such. I really think you should hold off on modifying you car for a little bit. Just from the posts that you have on this forum, it seems that you have very little knowledge (no offense, this is complex stuff) about turbocharged engines, or the things that are required to properly modify them. So, until you get a really good grasp on it all, I might hold off so you dont wind up messing your car.

Now, I think that your question about the wastegate duty cycle would be well answered if you read the article in this page (download the pdf)

How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works

You also may want to read this guide on how tuning the ECU should happen

AccessECU Tuning Guide and Worksheet for Subarus

You might also truly benefit from reading a book called Maximum Boost. It is a book focused solely on explaining how turbocharged engines work from a system view and an individual part basis, as well as going in to pretty decent detail about how to tune turbocharged cars.

Also, while I'm here, you should take the advice of the sensor manufacturer for the location of your EGT sensor. It also depends on if you are trying to monitor engine combustion temps or turbo temps. However, that being said, most people weld a bung in the header a few inches away from the cylinder heads to monitor engine temps (helps to tune for engine knock, fyi).

I hope that everything I've said here is somewhat helpful and as non offensive as possible.

Regards,
Crazyfast

Georgia Institute of Technology - Formula SAE
#6 Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

2010hatch is an unknown
Thank you and understand, but i am not going to modify drastically, just an intake and exhaust, maybe a downpipe. I understand your concerns as i had a 2004 SVT Powerworks kit with a 75 shot nitrous that had a fullky built 2.4l stroker, w/fully built long block that cost me $10K w/tranny. They "tuner" blew the damn motor twice on the dyno and had the car for 9-months, also had a 2005 Mazda3 turbo, so i understand the basics just not sure about the WRX as many people are telling me there engines are like made of glass and a intake will blow it! I cant understand that at all, but this forum is very helpful and i thank you for your help as well.

The acessport seems the way to go for what i am looking for, after spending $900 to tune the Mazda3 i am not into it and want to keep things basic.
#7 Old 11-28-2010, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
if you wanted it simple i would have saved a few dollars and did a pro tune for about $350 instead of $600 on the AP. either way if your not going crazy you'll be fine with what you have.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/