Suby Newbie - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

goodboyWRX is an unknown
Suby Newbie

Hey there. I am purchasing an '05 WRX with 60,000 miles most likely within the next 2 weeks and i figured I would start posting and trying to learn as much as I can. I have never owned/driven a Subaru before today test driving a "soon to be mine" WRX. I have had an Eclipse GS for a couple years now so I didn't really know what to expect. First off, it was amazing. I instantly fell in love with it. From what I could tell it was all stock. No performance mods to speak of. It rode and handled like a dream. This was all after we left the lot and ran out of gas before making it to the first gas station. haha. It was definitely an experience. At first I thought the car was broken because as I got on it in first gear to see what it could do, the boost gauge went up, and it felt like the car died out. Did it once more and "bye bye gas." After that point I was like a kid in a candy store. Like I said I don't have any experience with Subaru's nor any friends that do, so I'll include a link to the car I intend to buy and if anyone can offer some advice, tips, wisdom or blessings, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Couldn't get the insert link to work... Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I actually used to drive a 1996 Kalapana Black Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5 speed before I bought my 2007 WRX. It's a completely different car, but better in almost every way if you ask me. Good luck!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

DragginFrame is an unknown
What is it with replacing Eclipses with WRXs? I was driving a 97 Eclipse GS as my daily until I got mine last week! The only thing I'm gonna miss is the gas mileage...
#4 Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
Welcome aboard!! & "ENJOY YO' SELF, BITCHES!"

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
#5 Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

goodboyWRX is an unknown
please guys i need feedback on the car. I know its better the closer to stock you can get. but I am very new to these cars. any input would be greatly appreciated.
#6 Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

mr04wrx is more helpful than not
Well, It is pretty much like my car! Its a Limited so it has the moon roof, heated seats and mirrors. The headlights have been cleared and the trunk has been partially debadged. Looks decent except for a mark on the trunk under SUBARU that appears like a black smudge in several pictures. Check to see if there is a heat shield covering the turbo, if there is and are no marks of removal on it, then it has the stock down pipe. Other then not being able to see it in person, looks good and is a very decent price for the Limited!! Good luck!
#7 Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

goodboyWRX is an unknown
thanks i really appreciate the help. I am most likely going to pick it up this weekend. just wanted to make sure I wasnt rushing into a lemon kinda thing. Not that I did that with my last car, but after I bought my eclipse I wish I had done more research on them. This time I feel like I did an adaquite(SP?) amount. I cant wait to make her mine! Thanks again.
#8 Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
In general, I think you will be hard pressed to find a stock subie thats a lemon. Its hard to tell if a car has been beat on by the previous owner, but that looks like a good one from the pics.

Like Mr 04 said, check everywhere for signs of pieces or bolts being removed or replaced, and check exhaust and under carriage. 60k is a bit high for an '05, but price compensates decently. Moon roof is an added plus.

Just read up on mods and do research there before you start throwing things on the car. FAQ on here is great if you haven't read through those already. Let us know when you pick it up, and welcome!! Cheers!

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
#9 Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

mr04wrx is more helpful than not
I wouldn't worry about gas mileage either! They say your supposed to average 19 in the city.....I drive `5 minutes back and forth to work and a couple other trips to various places and I get about 24mpg and I'm stage 2! I also don't baby it to get good gas mileage either. For highway mileage factory says something like 26. I've gotten as good as 28.5mpg and about 50 miles of that was still in the city, the rest was freeway at 70-75mph, def. not the optimum speed for mpg. Just 2 more cents to think about!!