Recent Addition to the Subaru Establishment! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

webcore is an unknown
Recent Addition to the Subaru Establishment!

Greetings, fellow WRXTuners!

I purchased my car (2009 WRX from Subaru of Plano, great experience) April 21st and, ever since then, my life has changed. This car truly is something to behold. I'm thrilled to be apart of this community.

Of course, here are the pictures. Stock for now, but soon to come will be Stage 2 upgrades. First things first, however; I need to lower it (suggestions welcomed), and that "muddy paddle" shift throw has gotta go. Torn between the Cobb or the Perrin; I saw Boost Addict's posts about what he's managed to do to his WRX and it looks very solid, so I might rely purely on his research and apparently bottomless bankroll to find the best parts available to us (or not, who knows!).

::

---+---

---+---

---+---

::

Any other fellow DFW citizens or Dallas'ites around? Surely I can't be the only one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2009, 03:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
everything i've read kinda leans toward the Perrin stage 2 set up.. Look at all u get for 2 grand... I just bought my 09 WRX and i think in a couple months that is what i'm going to try to pick up....if my wife lets me..
#3 Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Welcome to the site. The 08/09s are slowly growing on me. I like how yours is all darker compared to some. I have (on my 07) the Cobb short shifter. I love it, adjust the height, or the throw, independently of one another. Its a nice piece. Read around (as Im sure you have) aboud the different types of engine management for the car, and then the sonud of an exhaust, get the ones you like and open the beast up.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Man those 09's are like hot cakes, they are making our STi's obsolete.

Looks nice man, im probably an hour or so from plano. I know just about every subbie in the DFW goes to arlington on friday nights at some restaurant and have a little gathering. I forgot the name of the restaurant though, I do know it's right of 360 between I-30 and I-20.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#5 Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mike'sTI is an unknown
Sweet ride man. Welcome, I hear you on that "changing my life" thing. I have only owned my subie for almost 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'll never drive another brand of car again. (As long as I have a say in the matter). Cheers
#6 Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's tough to switch from AWD + Turbo to anything else... even temporarily. It's always nice to get back behind the wheel of a Scoob after a ride in any other car.

John
07 WRX
#7 Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

webcore is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by booosted09 View Post
everything i've read kinda leans toward the Perrin stage 2 set up.. Look at all u get for 2 grand... I just bought my 09 WRX and i think in a couple months that is what i'm going to try to pick up....if my wife lets me..
Agreed. I think the Perrin route would probably be the best bet. Plus, red on black is just complete and utter sex IMHO. Also, about the whole wife thing, you can always tell her that if she lets you get that, you'll let her have that $2000 handbag that serves no purpose other than as a status symbol (sorry ladies; it's true!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Welcome to the site. The 08/09s are slowly growing on me. I like how yours is all darker compared to some. I have (on my 07) the Cobb short shifter. I love it, adjust the height, or the throw, independently of one another. Its a nice piece. Read around (as Im sure you have) aboud the different types of engine management for the car, and then the sonud of an exhaust, get the ones you like and open the beast up.
Thanks, Josh (I believe your name is Josh). I've been following your posts and I like your responses (have rewarded you with some rep) because they're concise and thoughtful. How's that "blue smoke" issue coming along? I was worried when I read about that.

Now, about the shifter; is there really much of a difference other than price with the Cobb vs. the Perrin short-shift? Other than branding (we know you're a Cobb whore; you've said it yourself!), what's the most apparent difference? Also, is there any difference in feel? I have to rely on what you've learned about this since I don't have any other points of contact for Subaru's. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
Man those 09's are like hot cakes, they are making our STi's obsolete.

Looks nice man, im probably an hour or so from plano. I know just about every subbie in the DFW goes to arlington on friday nights at some restaurant and have a little gathering. I forgot the name of the restaurant though, I do know it's right of 360 between I-30 and I-20.
That's about 45 minutes up the Tollroad from me (I drive 5 over the speed limit on roads and 10 over on the highway). If you can get the name of the place for me, I'll check it out one of these days. I work closer to that location than from where I live in Plano (work off of Forest and Central). Let me know and we'll meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike'sTI View Post
Sweet ride man. Welcome, I hear you on that "changing my life" thing. I have only owned my subie for almost 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'll never drive another brand of car again. (As long as I have a say in the matter). Cheers
I think I've decided where I stand car-wise. For about 6 years I was hellbent on getting an S2000, but never committed. I love the car, I really do; before I bought my Subie I test-drove one. But man, I have a girlfriend who's got a 12 year old son, and I have friends; I'm sorry, but a 2-seater just doesn't fit into my lifestyle. Plus, I'm about 6'2 and getting out of that thing took an act of gymnastics. My business partner purchased a Subaru from Subaru of Plano and that's where I bought it. Traded in my 2008 Impreza for it, and I'm so glad I did. In the future, I plan on getting a good following here in the DFW area to support Subaru of Plano; I know the owner really well and he's a true Subaru enthusiast. He tinted my car for free, just because. Never had an issue with service, either. Always punctual, friendly, and thorough. I plan on making those meets possible soon; I just have to talk to Dave (the owner) about what'd he'd be willing to sponsor / contribute to the meet.

As far as mods go, I'm set on Perrin for now (stage 2), a lower profile (thinking SPT package), and a pretty convincing story from Josh on the short-shifter!

Anyhow, I'm Ryan. It's nice to meet you guys.

"Must go faster...!"
#8 Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
## 09 is sick. i used to not like them but they are grown on me. the red on black is the way to go. i painted my emblems red to match my red calipers.

be sure to look around the site for future modds you wana do. there are alot of informative people here who are more than happy to answer any questions, that is if they havent allready been answered lol. congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club
#9 Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by webcore View Post
Thanks, Josh (I believe your name is Josh). I've been following your posts and I like your responses (have rewarded you with some rep) because they're concise and thoughtful. How's that "blue smoke" issue coming along? I was worried when I read about that.

Now, about the shifter; is there really much of a difference other than price with the Cobb vs. the Perrin short-shift? Other than branding (we know you're a Cobb whore; you've said it yourself!), what's the most apparent difference? Also, is there any difference in feel? I have to rely on what you've learned about this since I don't have any other points of contact for Subaru's. Let me know.

As far as mods go, I'm set on Perrin for now (stage 2), a lower profile (thinking SPT package), and a pretty convincing story from Josh on the short-shifter!

Anyhow, I'm Ryan. It's nice to meet you guys.

Hey Ryan. Yes, my name is Josh. Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and have done some good reading already. First off havent driven the car in about 2 weeks, in a training environment, but I got my 20G and supporting mods waiting for me when I get back. The blue smoke is all but gone, thinks it just blow by from the turbo cause we checked everything and it was alrite.

Cobbs SS is more expensive, probably the most expensive one out there. But its the only one that you can change the throw of the shift or the height of the shiter, and they are independent of each other. I have experience with the SPT short shifter (which is not that great IMHO), and also the Kartboy one. Now mind you none of these are worth much unless you change out both the front and rear shifter bushings also. But I have my SS at half height and about half the throw for now. Its by far the shortest shifting one and the shortest heigth wise (mostly for looks, but I like it). I dont have experience with the Perrin one, but it looks similar to the Kartboy one. Its not bad, but yes, I am a Cobb whore(again Im admitting it) but I also like the differences in their shifter over everone elses.

Sorry for the long rply, was trying to describe the best I could. If you got anymore questions ask away man. HAPPY MODDING

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

webcore is an unknown
Alrighty Josh, well, that works. Cobb SS it is. What'd you pay for yours?

I suppose the next research item would be the bushings, too.

Thanks!

"Must go faster...!"
#11 Old 06-24-2009, 02:47 PM

I paid $150 for the SS, and I run Cobb front bushings, and Kartboy rear. The only reason I have the Kartboy is because Cobb didnt have their rear set out at the time. Check out rallysportdirect.com, free shipping on anything over $200.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

webcore is an unknown
Quote:
I paid $150 for the SS, and I run Cobb front bushings, and Kartboy rear. The only reason I have the Kartboy is because Cobb didnt have their rear set out at the time. Check out rallysportdirect.com, free shipping on anything over $200.
Wow, that's fairly inexpensive. Great! One last thing ... will this void my warranty? And, how difficult was it to install? I'm taking the lazy route and not running a search of the forums, but I will if needs be.

"Must go faster...!"
#13 Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Its a great mod, not for power, but helps clean up shifting. Warranty stuff is very tricky. If your springs/struts go out, it shouldnt void it. But if its transmission related, they might try and blame it on that. As far as install it doesnt seem hard. I had mine installed when I did my exhaust (I was lazy and didnt have my tools at the time).Im pretty sure you have to cut one set of the bushings to get the stock bushing off. There is either directions on Cobbs site, or it comes with them. It just takes some time.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Im pretty sure you have to cut one set of the bushings to get the stock bushing off.
That's definitely the easy way to remove the stock front shifter bushing. It's one big (little) nasty piece of hard rubbery stuff and shaped sort of like a spool. I somehow managed to wiggle mine out, but it was a royal pain in the @$$. I still have it in one piece - don't really even know why I even kept it because it's not going back on my car. If anybody needs a stock front shifter bushing in one piece, let me know

John
07 WRX
#15 Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

webcore is an unknown
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll check with my dealer first and see what's covered.

"Must go faster...!"