newbie wants to know? power 1st or handling? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sirtex is an unknown
newbie wants to know? power 1st or handling?

I just got my first subie (02 wrx wagon). As far as I know it has no mods and I'm wondering if I should upgrade wheels, brakes, etc.. before I jump into increasing HP. I do alot of back country driving and find that right now it has power enough to keep me happy. Any recomendations on brake, suspension upgrades to keep my baby from rolling back and forth thru all my little back roads? I'm on a budget and am looking for good upgrades to handling. Eventually I will add more power so I want to make sure the cars brakes etc can handle the extra power when I get it. Please help and please keep the language simple while I'm learning.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
after you have a good set of tires don't bother with anything suspension related until you have 500 wheel hp.

that includes brakes.

if you want the car to 'feel' different you can get some suspension components like nice rod ends and springs. but most people couldent drive a stock wrx to its limit. especially on the street. most people do a rear sway bar to reduce some of the understeer. but again, there are a plethora of driving techniques that will remove/reduce understeer as well.

if you want my REAL opinion, i think you should take your first 3K and go do a driving course. then you can laugh as you pass highly modified imports on the outside in your stock wrx.
#3 Old 07-29-2007, 09:06 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
my favorite mods were:

Tires
Rear Swaybar (with endlinks)
Downpipe
Pro-tune

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
its all about engine management. damn turbos are so friggin picky they need everything described to them with excessive amount of code. i would snag me some tires, then some up pipe down pipe action and engine management. after that the world is your oyster.
#5 Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sirtex is an unknown
Thanks for the input. What would you recommend for a good set of tires (under 500)? Would it be worth it to stick a larger wheel in there? Right now I have 16's. They do look kinda funny with the space between them and the wheel arch. And how bout good engine management. I'm trying to keep my starting mods under 2 grand.
#6 Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sirtex is an unknown
What I am looking for is my ride to be fast and safe on the roads I drive, so huge power is not my priority just yet.
#7 Old 08-06-2007, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
If you are not going to track your car semi-regularly; nor do any autocross, I would work on the engine.

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
#8 Old 08-06-2007, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

i think the engine management thing has been debated to death. a little reasruch on here will net you all the info you need, starting a fresh thread will just re-has previously dicussed topics.

as far as wheels go, there is nothing wrong with the factory 16s. but to want something larger is all well and good. i wouldent do anything larger then 18, though.

as far as tires specifically, you can find lots of reviews on those here as well. but like most things you get what you pay for. stay away from anything that is not top name brand and dont buy the super budget shit. dont stay way from places like costco JUST because its costco. i have seen some bitchen tires in a costco before.

like 2006WRXTR said. if you plan to keep you car on the street you really have no reason to invest any money in suspension. the only thing you might want to consider is that rear sway to bring down the understeer a bit. i dont have one, though. understeer is easy to correct, you just bleed off the throttle
#9 Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Wheel / Tire FAQ

there's some info on wheels and tires. If you want all season replacements for the RE92s and you want cheap, the Continental ContiExtremeContact are the way to go. They're still all seasons so they are not going to out-handle tires designed for more limited conditions. You can get a whole set for under $500 though...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 08-08-2007, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sirtex is an unknown
Thanks again guys. I checked my tires and found that I don't have the dreaded RE92s. I have Nokians on my ride. I'm not sure but I think they are winter tires. As is probably obvious by now I'm really new to this class of cars (AWD performance etc...) So bear with me while I ask questions that have likely been answered and debated to death already. And yes I do search the forums for answers. I just like to clarify and maybe get opinions from ya'll that have had these cars for awhile. So thanks again for your patience and your ideas. Feel free to keep them coming.