Newbie thinking about getting 2011 STI - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

denizen is an unknown
I love my wrx but previously had many mustangs and loved everyone of them.
The foxbody was definitly real american muscle and then they chaned that design in 1995 which was the last year of the 5.0. Now the new gt has a real 5.0 and produces 412 ponies. That car is real american muscle and held it's own on the track last year against a m-3 in a article in MT last fall. Having said that I think you will be very happy with a wrx or Sti. I do miss the sound of my 5.0 with the magnaflow exhaust and putting the top down on a nice day was nice also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I came from a Mustang too. When I moved up north I needed all wheel drive. I get about 18MPG, STI's get a little worse. I got 9MPG with my Mustang, but it was far from stock.

I'm currently saving up to get a weekend only Mustang fox body again. If I lived in the south I would have the new '11 5.0 in a heartbeat.

And in general STI's and WRX's are very reliable stock, but so are Mustangs.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #18 of 32 Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

denizen is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
I came from a Mustang too. When I moved up north I needed all wheel drive. I get about 18MPG, STI's get a little worse. I got 9MPG with my Mustang, but it was far from stock.

I'm currently saving up to get a weekend only Mustang fox body again. If I lived in the south I would have the new '11 5.0 in a heartbeat.

And in general STI's and WRX's are very reliable stock, but so are Mustangs.
Yes, the new 5.0 is quite impressive, would love to take one for a spin. Foxbody is a ggod choice for a project car. Someday I hope to be in a situation where I can get one as a project car. The lx is a little lighter and you can get quite a bit out of them with the right mod's.
post #19 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen View Post
Yes, the new 5.0 is quite impressive, would love to take one for a spin. Foxbody is a ggod choice for a project car. Someday I hope to be in a situation where I can get one as a project car. The lx is a little lighter and you can get quite a bit out of them with the right mod's.
Yup, I had an LX, brand new. It was my first car. It had a built motor with every bolt on under the sun. I still keep in contact with the new owner. Here is a recent pic.

And yes, that's a giant turbo.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #20 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

denizen is an unknown
wow! that looks like a fun car. Has he dyno it?
post #21 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yes, 524 RWHP. No track times, it's strictly a street car.

I'd love to have an STI with that much power, but I'm afraid it's more trouble than it's worth. I think the EVO is a better foundation for that type of power. A friend of mine has an EVO with 504 to the wheels. He still drives it everyday and it has stock internals. He's replacing the pistons and bearings as a precaution b/c he's going to turn up the boost a bit more soon. He's at 35 PSI now!

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #22 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
A properly built WRX/STi can handle that power one of my friends back in Florida has a completely stock motor STi pushing 540awhp on e85 and something like 475 on pump that he drives everyday, and I had a friend with an Evo that blew up at 380awhp and another one that shit out its drivetrain almost stock except for exhaust and tune, basically I'm saying the cars are capable of holding the power if treated right and tuned with extreme caution

Now my car could be driven everyday I just choose not to because I'm blessed enough to be able to afford a daily driver

and as for the mustangs I had a 5.0 convertible with a built 347 it was fast but thats all it was which is why I prefer the imports, they handle better, more comfort, and at least when you keep the foot out of it they get decent mileage

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #23 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sitting in an import just feels more comfortable to me, I used to drive my moms fox body...lol, and it just wasn't comfy, the overall interior feel of any of my many imports feel way nicer...as a DD. As a track car, drive whatever gets ya off, haha. And nothing..I mean NOTHING feels better than being thrown back into your seat when that turbo fully kicks in.....Thats what gets me off. I only drive a 2002 WRX but I can say as for my mileage, driving 45 minutes to and from work, a tank last me exactly one week, four stop signs, 6 red lights over a 30 mile stretch...

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #24 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
My fox would get about 12mpg on premium, didn't matter what you were doing, highway, city, track, standing on it, or anything. After driving my brothers terminator thats the only mustang I would ever own except maybe a GT500KR

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #25 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
But just so you know... I'm not trying to hate man. thats a very nice clean stang in the pics

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #26 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

I agree with all the points, that's why I picked the WRX myself. And, with my Borla exhaust and it's low tone, it kind of reminds me of the 5.0 sound in a weird way.

Here was my criteria when I was looking for a new car. Only the WRX fit it.

1.) Four doors: I have two car seats back there
2.) Full sized trunk so I could pick people up from the airport, or take people to lunch.
3.) All Wheel Drive since Chicago weather blows
4.) MPG rating of 20+
5.) Priced under 25k
6.) 0-60 time of less than 6 seconds
7.) Good reliability ratings from Consumer Reports

I think the WRX is the perfect combo of everything I wanted in a car, since at the time of purchase I couldn't afford a winter and summer car. (To be honest, I still can't) !Cry!

You get a sports car, a family car, and the all weather capabilities of an SUV all in one package.

The car was great stock, but once I put the mods on I was hooked. I think I'll always have a Subaru as my daily driver no matter what weekend toys I can afford one day.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #27 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
"You get a sports car, a family car, and the all weather capabilities of an SUV all in one package."

I have to say, I think you said it best right there. That's the perfect description of WRX's (and is why I own one)

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
post #28 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

^

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #29 of 32 Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

denizen is an unknown
yes that about sums up why i have my rex. I take it to jobsites all the time in mud season here which is not something i can say for my stang when i had it. Those are great numbers on that foxbody.The foxbody was never a super comfortable car but that is not why you own one. I hope to have one again someday just not as a dd. The new gt actually gets quite good mpg for 412 ponies and is not much slower then a shelby gt500, it will also totally outhandle the shelby. Anyways, enough said and nice pic's of that lx.
post #30 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

XXDeath is an unknown
heck yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08GT View Post
Hey everyone I been thinking about getting a STI. I never owned a 4 cylinder car before I been driving nothing but mustangs since I started driving. So i'm looking for something that gets better gas mileage than my Fords but has plenty of power too. Just want some opinions form some of you guys. The STI would be my daily driver and I would have the mustangs for the the weekends and the track. Any advice would be great on what to expect from a STI.
hey man i was in the same boat i have a 07 mustang GT with a roush SC pushing about 612 RWHP i live in south dakota and that thing does not like weather i can drive it in the summer time or on a nice day when roads are dry and clean i just bought a 2011 STI sedan about 2 months ago i love the car granted my stang will kill it in the straight line the sti is great for winter or spring rain the car handles very well in any kinda weather i also have a daughter and the sti offers alot more room for your back seat passangers im a big guy about 6'4 240 lbs my mustang is a lil more comfy but the sti isnt bad diff have to get out and stretch more for long trips but my mustang works almost for tire roasting fun and my sti is a awesome and fun daily driver