Newbie thinking about getting 2011 STI - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

08GT is an unknown
Newbie thinking about getting 2011 STI

Hey everyone I been thinking about getting a STI. I never owned a 4 cylinder car before I been driving nothing but mustangs since I started driving. So i'm looking for something that gets better gas mileage than my Fords but has plenty of power too. Just want some opinions form some of you guys. The STI would be my daily driver and I would have the mustangs for the the weekends and the track. Any advice would be great on what to expect from a STI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Gas mileage on an STi is nothing to write home about. It may have 4 cylinders, but it puts out more power than a 2010 mustang GT and uses about the same amount of gas. STi is 17/25 I believe and both require premium?

The advantages of the STi over the Mustang GT are traction, handling, and backseat (+hatch if you want it). Power and gas mileage are roughly equivalent.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Not to mention that basic upgrades will net you a larger goal than on the mustang, and you may actually have a lower insurance premium, I know with my WRX and all my customization covered my quote is still less than my brothers bone stock terminator

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Problem solved, get a 2011 GT. Better gas mileage + 100 hp more than STI or previous GT's. Not like AWD is a requirement in NC, although you'd probably be a rare sight.

-Chris
#5 Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
only downfall of an STI vs a stang is that you can tinker and mod your stang in your own garage, where as a STI will need to be tuned after EVERY modification. (only thing i dont like about my WRX)

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
#6 Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

08GT is an unknown
The 17/25 gas mileage is better than what I get now. I'm not looking for a great gas mileage just want something with power and where I can get more than 11 MPG that i'm getting now for local driving. How reliable is the STI? Is it worth the extra money over the WRX?
#7 Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's definitely worth the money, and if properly maintained 200K is not entirely out of the realm of possibility, one of my past daily drivers was a 2003 WRX that I bought with a full service history at 178K and sold with 194K and the prev owner told me it's over 210K a few years ago

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#8 Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yep, if you keep up with the maintenance. It'll last you quite a while.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
STI ftw! and to even do yourself a bigger favor, lose the pony and get some real american muscle for the track

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car
#10 Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
LOL. Don't hate. I'm not a huge fan of mustangs. But, I must admit that ford is making a great product with the 2011 Mustang and all the variants. I just read the Motor Trend article on the Boss 302 earlier and time wise it beat 3 really good cars around Laguna Seca. Which cars was M/T referring to? Well, it beat: the newest M3, the orignial 2008 spec R8, and the 2010 Shelby 500. Now, it wasn't on the same day or the same driver of all the cars. But, they compared the exit and mid corner speeds of the R8 and Shelby 500 to the Boss 302 and a majority of the time the new Boss was faster or as fast as the others. Rather impressive for a N/A engine and some american muscle.

Kirt
#11 Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
Well as an owner of a Trans Am its my job to hate on mustangs lol

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car
#12 Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

If I'm domestic, I'm a GM head. But, I love all sorts of cars and have to admit the new mustangs are a good product. Even if it pains me.

Kirt
#13 Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'd still rather have the prestige of an M3 over a Mustang

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#14 Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
GM F-Body FTW. I have a Z28 as well, but I have been more than impressed with the latest Mustangs. Around here everyone in a Mustang is kind of a tool though, and that's why I avoid them. Every region is different though. My Camaro is a 2000, so it's not as refined as new cars, but I've driven Mustangs too, and the biggest thing you'll see in the Subaru (WRX OR STi) is a sense of roundedness. I have to say that the scream of a V8 at redline is something you won't want to lose, so I'm glad to see you keeping at least one for the track/weekends. There are lots of threads that discuss the benefit of an STi over a WRX, but it all comes down to you. I have had 2 WRX's as DD's but in the end upgraded to an STi for those additional benefits. If you're the type that will spend a little extra now to not have to do it later, get the STi. IMO, you can't really compare a muscle car to these cars. They really are SO MUCH different. I do feel like the Subarus are more complete feeling. There's less of that raw feeling, but they feel like an all around performer and good in every way. That's the only way I can think of comparing the 2. I prefer the STi, but I reeally don't mind taking the T-Tops off the Z28 and cruising around in a bit either. Having both is the best solution.

#15 Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

I've had a 5.0 and that "raw" feeling is definitely not for me, that was probably the shortest lived of my daily drivers IIRC I sold it within 3 weeks, I just think there is something to the turbo AWD cars that they can perform at the same level of the V8 Muscle cars and retain the comfort and driveability of a family car

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt