New to the site from Florida (no WRX yet) - Subaru WRX Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

xxKnight48xx is an unknown
New to the site from Florida (no WRX yet)

Hey everyone my name is Kyle

I joined this forum to start researching about the WRX (obviously lol)

I don't own one just yet but I am about 2 weeks away from purchasing the title to the Mazda 6 I currently drive,from my father.

He owns the car now but when i lost my job a year ago he gave it to me and told me to buy it from him when i could. I have been working non stop to pay him back so I could sell it and get something faster.

I have had 3 Mazdas in my driving "career"
2004 Mazda 3
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 ( sold it to my little brother when I lost my job, really long story)
2009 Mazda 6

Mazdas have been so great to me but I have always wanted a Subaru WRX.
They were always just a bit out of my price range. Now that I have a better job and am making more money. The time has come to ditch the front wheel drive family and move on to a Subaru !

I will be browsing the forums and reading a lot about the WRX before I buy one. I am so excited to be a part of the community!

Thanks for reading!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Welcome.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Welcome to the site, Wellington is near Palm Beach. I use to live in FL and there is no way you'd get me to go back...no offense.
In any case there is a thread about buying a used WRX on this site. Read up and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Welcome! Yes, definitely ask questions. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum from threads to the people that post them.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#5 Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
Welcome! Yes, definitely ask questions. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum from threads to the people that post them.
I read somewhere that you 100% need an AP even just for an intake?

What are some MUST HAVE mods for the WRX (example : speed 3 needs motor mounts pretty much before anything else)

Is there any "tricks" to the WRX?
(Example : Mazda 3 and mazdaspeed 3 have a DIS, driver information system, hidden in the hardware of the radio. Hit a few buttons in the right order and it unlocks it for you. Normally only available on like the grand touring line. But base model owners could unlock it for free)

Also any advice for a first time AWD driver? Fluids, what watch out for?

I know these are pretty standard questions. But hearing personal experiences and stuff like that always helps !

Thanks for the welcomes!

#6 Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxKnight48xx View Post

What are some MUST HAVE mods for the WRX (example : speed 3 needs motor mounts pretty much before anything else)

(Example : Mazda 3 and mazdaspeed 3 have a DIS, driver information system, hidden in the hardware of the radio. Hit a few buttons in the right order and it unlocks it for you. Normally only available on like the grand touring line. But base model owners could unlock it for free)

I know these are pretty standard questions. But hearing personal experiences and stuff like that always helps !

Thanks for the welcomes!

Yes you need to get some sort of tune for any intake mods. The maf sensor is very sensitive on the 08+ I believe pre 08 they are a little more forgiving. Its a good rule of thumb to tune though. An intake doesn't add much power on these, more for sound purposes. The stock intake is good until you get to 300 or 400 hp I'm not positive which.

Are you planning on getting a newer wrx?

I would get a cobb access port, (pro import tuners has a great sale right now, just pm them on here). Then you can go stage 1. Factory tune is not good. Car runs too lean. DP is stage 2, that's when the car really gets opened up. Cat back as well and an intake would be a great start IMO. Also short shifter with bushings. Stock is sloppy and long strokes. I'm stage 1 right now myself, definitely a nice noticeable difference. Looking at going stage 2 and getting a DP hopefully by the end of summer. I'm unsure of tricks. Most things I've done are straight forward.

Hopefully that was some help. I'm still learning as well. But I've learned a lot from this forum.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#7 Old 07-19-2013, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Yes you need to get some sort of tune for any intake mods. The maf sensor is very sensitive on the 08+ I believe pre 08 they are a little more forgiving. Its a good rule of thumb to tune though. An intake doesn't add much power on these, more for sound purposes. The stock intake is good until you get to 300 or 400 hp I'm not positive which.

Are you planning on getting a newer wrx?

I would get a cobb access port, (pro import tuners has a great sale right now, just pm them on here). Then you can go stage 1. Factory tune is not good. Car runs too lean. DP is stage 2, that's when the car really gets opened up. Cat back as well and an intake would be a great start IMO. Also short shifter with bushings. Stock is sloppy and long strokes. I'm stage 1 right now myself, definitely a nice noticeable difference. Looking at going stage 2 and getting a DP hopefully by the end of summer. I'm unsure of tricks. Most things I've done are straight forward.

Hopefully that was some help. I'm still learning as well. But I've learned a lot from this forum.
So if I got the Cobb ap and the Cobb intake I would be safe to run a stage 1 tune right away? That's pretty cool!

#8 Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
So if I got the Cobb ap and the Cobb intake I would be safe to run a stage 1 tune right away? That's pretty cool!

Yea pretty much. Eventually you may want to get a protune.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#9 Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Yea pretty much. Eventually you may want to get a protune.
What kind of fluids do you recommended for the transmission and the differential? Is it hard to change them?

#10 Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
What kind of fluids do you recommended for the transmission and the differential? Is it hard to change them?

Ah that's where I haven't gone yet in my subie adventure lol. Hopefully someone else can step in here and help out.

Anyone?

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#11 Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:

Use Subaru's recommended trans gear oil, or fluid if it's an automatic and the correct gear oil for the rear diff. Depending on your mechanical abilities it can be, but it's pretty straight forward...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Use Subaru's recommended trans gear oil, or fluid if it's an automatic and the correct gear oil for the rear diff. Depending on your mechanical abilities it can be, but it's pretty straight forward...
That's good to know. At least I won't have to shell out a lot of money for fancy fluids.

#13 Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:

Thanks for the welcomes!

Keep the stock intake. I still run mine and I bet I'm making more power than most on here...
Must have mods, none that I can think of these cars are pretty good factory. Now if you are going to modify it then there are certain paths to follow to correctly modify your car.
1) Maintenance, this should be first and foremost. Make sure the car is healthy enough to handle being modified...
2) TIRES!!!!
3) Some form of engine management(Cobb AP, Open Source, Professional tune ECUtek, etc)
Now after this people have different views as to what route to go, this is my path...
4) Exhaust, to see any real power gains go with a turbo back exhaust and then upgrade your ECU with whatever form you go with from #1
5) TIRES!!! Since I know you didn't listen to me the first time..
6) Brake pads, hawk or whatever brand name you feel is best.
7) Suspension.
8) Other mods that are to misc. to put in here...
arewmors likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Garage
^definitely more good stuff! :thumbup:

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#15 Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Keep the stock intake. I still run mine and I bet I'm making more power than most on here...
Must have mods, none that I can think of these cars are pretty good factory. Now if you are going to modify it then there are certain paths to follow to correctly modify your car.
1) Maintenance, this should be first and foremost. Make sure the car is healthy enough to handle being modified...
2) TIRES!!!!
3) Some form of engine management(Cobb AP, Open Source, Professional tune ECUtek, etc)
Now after this people have different views as to what route to go, this is my path...
4) Exhaust, to see any real power gains go with a turbo back exhaust and then upgrade your ECU with whatever form you go with from #1
5) TIRES!!! Since I know you didn't listen to me the first time..
6) Brake pads, hawk or whatever brand name you feel is best.
7) Suspension.
8) Other mods that are to misc. to put in here...
Psinuse

I know this is like a broad question. Could you be more specific about maintenance?

Other then like oil and other fluids?

I know my way around a motor better then some people, but I'm not an expert. I just wasn't sure if you meant anything special. Thanks