WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Congrats man. Looks good welcome to the forum let the questions flow

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
I've never seen a red 05 hatch before. Looks great! Welcome to the forum.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#4 Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Awesome car and welcome aboard.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 08-24-2013, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Welcome, I just tried snapping shots of my car too... Haha, damn sun!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#6 Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

mitch15 is an unknown
Thanks guys yeah I picked it up Tuesday. And after I got home I snapped this one real quick and it was already pretty dark.
So far I've had to change the front brakes they weren't completely worn out but I didn't want to chance it so I got some new ones and i changed the air filter that one was more precautionary then anything found a k&n filter in it. Lucky I ride quads so I already have the stuff to clean them. Cleaned up nice there was barely any dirt on the one that came out but already had another. So the k&n will be a back up I need to get the oil changed soon cause the dealer i bought it from used the cheapest stuff they could find.
I plan on getting full synthetic any suggestions on brand and oil filter?
#7 Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch15 View Post
Thanks guys yeah I picked it up Tuesday. And after I got home I snapped this one real quick and it was already pretty dark.
So far I've had to change the front brakes they weren't completely worn out but I didn't want to chance it so I got some new ones and i changed the air filter that one was more precautionary then anything found a k&n filter in it. Lucky I ride quads so I already have the stuff to clean them. Cleaned up nice there was barely any dirt on the one that came out but already had another. So the k&n will be a back up I need to get the oil changed soon cause the dealer i bought it from used the cheapest stuff they could find.
I plan on getting full synthetic any suggestions on brand and oil filter?
Oh, you don't want opinions on oil. Everyone has their opinion on which oil is the best. But, the biggest thing is the filter. Go OEM because the OEM filter is actually quite good and filters better than most aftermarket filters. I'm sure you could find a higher filtration filter but, it'd have to be a top of the line filter. Full synthetic that I've used lately are expensive AMSoil premium protection high zinc, Motul 8100 X-Cess, and AMSoil Z-rod right now. All expensive but high zinc. Which is good for your bearings and engine. Just bad if your car has a lot of blow by. Because it'll kill your CAT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 08-25-2013, 12:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

mitch15 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Oh, you don't want opinions on oil. Everyone has their opinion on which oil is the best. But, the biggest thing is the filter. Go OEM because the OEM filter is actually quite good and filters better than most aftermarket filters. I'm sure you could find a higher filtration filter but, it'd have to be a top of the line filter. Full synthetic that I've used lately are expensive AMSoil premium protection high zinc, Motul 8100 X-Cess, and AMSoil Z-rod right now. All expensive but high zinc. Which is good for your bearings and engine. Just bad if your car has a lot of blow by. Because it'll kill your CAT.

lol ok i kinda figured that would be a highly controversial question
ok cool thanks for the info ill look into getting a oem filter with some good oil
how long do you guys go between oil changes? i know on regular oil its 3000 miles or three months but with synthetic i heard you can go longer but i dont know if i want to go longer since this is a turbocharged engine
it doesent have any blow by had a buddy who is good with subarus do a overall look over of the car, he did a compression test the day we were driving it around and got 140,140,140,135
#9 Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Good numbers.
I use Mobil syn.
I've read on a very trustworthy guys page that oil doesn't matter at all. Matter a fact he uses whatever is on sale.. Haha
I don't care what the bottle says, I change mine between 2500-3000. Gives me peace of mind...
Here, read this

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
^ also the guy I read about sale oil

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Use quality fluids, is what the performance experts say. You can still use quality ones on sale like I do; Mobil 1, Castrol EDGE, Rotella T - just select a quality one.

The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge
"Fundamentally there isn't a big difference between the 2.0L and 2.5L motors in terms of the design of the oiling system but the EJ205 is at least 5 to 9 years old now and some have not been treated to regular maintenance with quality fluids. From the factory, the allowable range of bearing clearance is pretty broad and if you don't use quality synthetic oil and change it often it can lead to problems."

Read more: The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

And if you want to become an expert on oils, this is one convenient reference:

Bob is the Oil Guy Forums
Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 08-25-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Add link
#11 Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
You can say what you want...but, zinc is good for your engine. It helps lubricate the bearings. It's what helped engines back before they put CATs on cars. I've also drained my bank account on an engine build. I'd rather put expensive oil in my car and try to do what I can to keep the engine going to get my money's worth out of it.

Kirt
#12 Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Zinc is good for turbo bearings and hard on catalytic converters. It just so happens that a cat is cheaper than a turbo, so the turbo guys like oils with more zinc.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#13 Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
Good numbers.
I use Mobil syn.
I've read on a very trustworthy guys page that oil doesn't matter at all. Matter a fact he uses whatever is on sale.. Haha
I don't care what the bottle says, I change mine between 2500-3000. Gives me peace of mind...
Here, read this

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
^ also the guy I read about sale oil
I can't agree with that. We have changed several engines at my job. Every one we pull is sludged up inside. We change oil on our fleet every 6k miles, no exceptions in the gas engines but, use cheap ass oil. The diesels on the other hand run forever and look good inside. Not sure about the oil in them other than it is a 15w40 that comes out of a underground tank we have. Moral of the story is, Im a firm beliver in quality oils. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic and oem filter every 3k since my cars first oil change but, will be switching to rt6 next time due to the rave reviews. Never had any problems. I don't have cats to worry about

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#14 Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

^ I won't use regular $2.00 a quart stuff,
I've been using the Mobil 1 synthetic since early 2011 and don't plan on switching. I also refuse to let it get past the 3000 mile mark.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#15 Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

I use the expensive shit and still change it everything 3k. Good thing my car isn't a daily driver. FOL

Kirt