New to the site 2012 WRB WRX - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
So the access port stage 1 is pretty much all I need at this point and it will be safe for a long time, and that's what I want. What would I do if I installed it and started getting a knocking from the engine? So you know of people running cobbs stage 2 maps for 100k miles without issue, did they get pro tunes at some point or straight cobb generic maps?
Searchin will net you answers... not one person can answer this

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Searchin will net you answers... not one person can answer this
I have been searching a lot recently, especially since it's all new to me. I understand not one person can answer, I want input though of opinions and experiences that may help direct my thoughts and future upgrades. My main concern is the generic stage 1 cobb tune for a lengthy amount of time being safe. If it's not healthy for the car for a long time then I wont bother.
#18 Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Obviously any map tweaking and you're looking at a loss in overall longevity of the engine blah blah blah lol! But seriously, a stage 1 tune is more than safe for a long period of time and better than the garbage base map without a doubt! If that's all you plan to do I'd say roll with an AP. A stage 1 tune whether with an AP or without is a better choice than leaving it on the stock map IMO.

I've gotta say though, I doubt a stage 1 will keep the mod bug at bay. It bites hard and as soon as you feel the difference you're gonna want more lol!

Anything after a stage 1 tune I'd honestly recommend pro tuning and would bypass the AP unless no tuner around you tunes without it...which I highly doubt. there's more of a noticeable difference between base and stage 1 though than there is from stage 1 to 2 so maybe you'll be happy with the OTS stage 1 AP map.

Put some long thought into what you want out of the car. The purchase of an AP depends on whether you wanna push over 300whp IMO. There's a lot of good things the AP does but it restricts a pro tunes capabilities and that alone makes it a no go for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
So if I understand correctly, cobb stage 1 should be safe for a long time as you see it. I have done a lot of thinking, a CAI and a stage 1 tune is what I want right now. I want to have the car running the safest possible, while being able to go back to stock tune if necessary. Sorry for being a little slow with this, I just want to feel comfortable with what I'm getting myself into.
#19 Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
So if I understand correctly, cobb stage 1 should be safe for a long time as you see it. I have done a lot of thinking, a CAI and a stage 1 tune is what I want right now. I want to have the car running the safest possible, while being able to go back to stock tune if necessary. Sorry for being a little slow with this, I just want to feel comfortable with what I'm getting myself into.
Yea man stage 1 and even 2 is safer then stock

#20 Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
An OTS stage 1 map is better than the base map for sure.

And I'm not 100% on this but I believe the OTS maps aren't capable of accommodating a CAI. That's something a pro tune can certainly do though. But double check into this as I planned on pro tuning right off the bat and never had to question this. I've certainly read others post about stuff like this though. I don't wanna see you waste money or lean out your car to dangerous levels. Just know if you want a CAI it's offering next to nothing for performance and gonna be there just for the sound at this point. Our intakes are good to go till stage 2+

Paul, can you confirm or deny the above about AP's and CAI's?.?.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#21 Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:

And I'm not 100% on this but I believe the OTS maps aren't capable of accommodating a CAI. That's something a pro tune can certainly do though. But double check into this as I planned on pro tuning right off the bat and never had to question this. I've certainly read others post about stuff like this though. I don't wanna see you waste money or lean out your car to dangerous levels. Just know if you want a CAI it's offering next to nothing for performance and gonna be there just for the sound at this point. Our intakes are good to go till stage 2+

Cobb ots supports aem cai

#22 Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:

Yea that's fine that the intake will only make more sound and not help with performance, the sound is something I want.
I think if you have the cobb intake or AEM intake with the access port there is a map for that, it's stage 1+ which re-calibrates the MAF sensor, that is at least what it says on cobbs site, but those are the only two options. So I would probably get the cobb intake.

ops sorry never summer I must have been writing this up when you posted.
#23 Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Garage
So to sum it all in a nut shell, stage 1 is the way to go even if I kept it on the car forever and never went any further which I doubt will happen, but never know things come up and money goes else where. So I think I'm comfortable with getting the app.

Has anyone had any issue with a knocking when they installed the app stage 1? In my research I've been doing some people have gotten a knocking right after they installed it. Is this normal and will go away? Just trying to plan on things that could happen when I get it so I know what to do right or not to do, right away so there is no damage done to anything.
#24 Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
So to sum it all in a nut shell, stage 1 is the way to go even if I kept it on the car forever and never went any further which I doubt will happen, but never know things come up and money goes else where. So I think I'm comfortable with getting the app.

Has anyone had any issue with a knocking when they installed the app stage 1? In my research I've been doing some people have gotten a knocking right after they installed it. Is this normal and will go away? Just trying to plan on things that could happen when I get it so I know what to do right or not to do, right away so there is no damage done to anything.
Honestly, I think stage 2 is the way to go but I'm not trying to spend your money bro.

#25 Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

My numbers were all perfect. No knock no nothing. That was on stage 1 and 2. Now I'm protuned stage 2 and I'm tuned for e85. Still perfect numbers and no complaints. OP, my car is a 2013 STi. I was the same you are my friend. Pull the trigger and stage 2 it. You won't regret it

#26 Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSummer View Post
My numbers were all perfect. No knock no nothing. That was on stage 1 and 2. Now I'm protuned stage 2 and I'm tuned for e85. Still perfect numbers and no complaints. OP, my car is a 2013 STi. I was the same you are my friend. Pull the trigger and stage 2 it. You won't regret it

I'm not really ready to go stage 2 yet. I don't really have the funds to go there yet, but I'm hoping to in the future. My goal right now is to get stage 1 and run that for a while and enjoy it for a year or so. I figure worst case scenario is I put the factory tune back on if something isn't right. Did you do a lot of data logging on stage 1? I'm nervous because I never have done anything like that before and have no idea what I'm looking at. Do I have to data log for stage 1 even? What are your thoughts?
#27 Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
I'm not really ready to go stage 2 yet. I don't really have the funds to go there yet, but I'm hoping to in the future. My goal right now is to get stage 1 and run that for a while and enjoy it for a year or so. I figure worst case scenario is I put the factory tune back on if something isn't right. Did you do a lot of data logging on stage 1? I'm nervous because I never have done anything like that before and have no idea what I'm looking at. Do I have to data log for stage 1 even? What are your thoughts?
Cobbs stage 1 should be spot on when you log. Again I was the same way you are bro. Nervous about this and nervous about that. Your car will run a lot smoother w the stage 1. You will notice a nice difference. Cobb and guys there have been doing this for years bro. Your numbers will be fine

#28 Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Cobbs stage 1 should be spot on when you log. Again I was the same way you are bro. Nervous about this and nervous about that. Your car will run a lot smoother w the stage 1. You will notice a nice difference. Cobb and guys there have been doing this for years bro. Your numbers will be fine

That's good to know, that makes me feel a lot better about doing this. If I posted some numbers would you be able to take a quick look when get some logs? I was concerned about the warranty, but if the stage 1 tune is so much better for the car than stock then I shouldn't have any issues in the last 2 years of my warranty. Thank you for you input, it's much appreciated!
#29 Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Message me your email. Ill send you some of my logs and what to look for. It's really easy my friend

#30 Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Message me your email. Ill send you some of my logs and what to look for. It's really easy my friend

Sent you a PM with my email. Thanks a lot. I'm going to have to get this thing ordered.