New Purchase - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXpureSEX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXpureSEX Send a message via MSN to WRXpureSEX
Exclamation New Purchase

well i have read all of the faq's from not only this site but 2 other wrx forums as well so i will not ask another bov or cai question lol and honestly ive been able to find everythin i wanted to so far through search on the forums and the all powerful google... btw i have an 03 wrx blue and live in south central PA by harrisburg... my future mod plans so far are as followed and in order from when i am plannin on gettin them:

1. turbo-back exhaust
2. gauges (either pillar or where the clock is or both)
3. perrin ss
4. stealth fx bov (yes its hybrid and ill have the afr gauge to make sure im not runnin too rich between shifts)
5. convert to front mount intercooler while tryin to keep the top mount (by using Y tubing unless this has already been tried and has failed)
6. some kind of engine management, im leanin towards the cobb reflash tuning but its still up in the air, i might go piggyback w/ the turboxs utec to have more control since i have a random laptop i could always keep in my car)

i hope i dont bore u like other nubs just buyin a new car for the first time but after all the research i did and w/ my personal wants this is the list i was able to put up w/ so far... i used to own an 02 sentra specv and was about to turbo it just b4 it got totalled due to a blown tire (that was 4 months old) on the highway and flipped... i wanted AWD and i always loved subi's and especially the boxer exhaust sound and on a test drive i fell in love so here i am... i was a member to forums for my old car so im not new to the termonology used like bov or ss seen above so that makes things easier i think lol... well any suggestions/comments will be much appreciated and hope to see some of u around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
welcome to the family, this is a pretty cool site, everyone here is laid back. it's almost like we all have something in common, we all love the awd, the boxer rumble and im sure we all fell in love at first sight. atleast i know i did. im on my second subie. had on 03 bugeye.

anyways welcome

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 04-13-2008, 08:14 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Congrats on the purchase. Welcome to the club.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 04-13-2008, 09:43 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpureSEX View Post
5. convert to front mount intercooler while tryin to keep the top mount (by using Y tubing unless this has already been tried and has failed)
!!HUH!! Never heard of this, and trying to figure out how that would even work. sounds like it would be super laggy.

I would get EM first then a TBE and an uppipe, then youll be at stage 2 the rest of the stuff you listed is not really needed

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#5 Old 04-13-2008, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
please, just upgrade your TMIC or keep it where its at, you will thank us later.
#6 Old 04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXpureSEX is an unknown
ok ill probably just keep the top then, just throwin out some ideas i had...

i actually have a question now, i found this exhaust and its significantly cheaper than all the others, its brand name BPM and claims to be 3" turbo back all the way w/ a 4" tip.. now has anyone had any experience w/ these and are they cheap b/c they are poop or b/c it is an off brand? here is a link to where i found them:

BPM WRX TRUE 3" Turbo back (Race)
#7 Old 04-14-2008, 04:17 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
no AFR gauge is going to help you monitor if you're going rich between shifts. You'd need to do logging. Simply putting a gauge on there ain't going to do anything. Just man up and decide you want a BOV despite what it'll do to your car or decide you want a stock BPV on there because they don't do shit. There really is no in between.

You want PSHH, you get rich shifts. You want non-rich shifts, you get no PSHHH

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
I ran the Ebay TBE and it fit perfectly.

Offbrand stuff is often just as good as the name brands, you pay for the name most of the time and people do that so they can say that they have a certain brand and be straight up JDM yo.

On some things it is better just to spend the coin on the name brand but on something like TBE which is relativley simple to make It isn't a huge deal.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#9 Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
BPM is an ok brand, there flanges are a bit thicker than the ebay TBE, You really cant go wrong with either. personally I would get the BPM with the straight out twin tip muffler. I hate the big 4" cantelope shooter. but what i hate more then that is when the muffler is angled out the back. i think the Ebay one is like that.

But as far as an uppipe, i would go brand name for sure.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

#10 Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Like said before move EM to #2 right after a TBE. Gauges at this power level are more bling than anything else.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#11 Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05WRX View Post
please, just upgrade your TMIC or keep it where its at, you will thank us later.
U don't like the FMIC? Why? I was thinking about going front, but if there's something I need to know please keep me informed

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#12 Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
U don't like the FMIC? Why? I was thinking about going front, but if there's something I need to know please keep me informed
The OP wanted to go with a TMIC and FMIC together, that was the issue. There's nothing wrong with just an FMIC

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#13 Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXpureSEX is an unknown
ok, well then im probably gettin the bpm tbe, an uppipe, and im still deciding about either the cobb accessport or the turboxs utec... i have a laptop that i can keep in my car all the time so thats not a problem for the utec but i like the simplicity and affordability of the accessport... well its just what i like better in the end i guess so ill make up my decision soon enough
#14 Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 PM
WRXpert

F the utech, its a pile of crap. its a piggy back ecu, where the acessport actully reflashes your ECU. but it cost 800.
if you have a laptop, just but the cable and reflash yourself. it will cost you 90 dollars, the you can go to DTRacing™ ::# Custom Tuning Services## “Get a Dom Tune!”® and he'll tune your car via emailed maps, that you just load into your ECU through your laptop. all for a whopping 60 dollars

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

#15 Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thats probably the best beat, what Nagy just mentioned. If you have a laptop that you can rely on then just spend the like $100 or what not on a tatrix cable, download the programs to run it and then you have your EM.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"