• 2 Post By OttomanRob
  • 1 Post By arewmors
  • 1 Post By arewmors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

OttomanRob is an unknown

Hey all,

Just upgraded from my 1999 Outback to a 14 WRX hatch. Very excited about it, have wanted a WRX for a long while. Got it just in time to try to figure out what kind of snow tires and rack I need for the winter season. Hooray for additional costs!
the RIOT act and Haw1es like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
Welcome to the forum! The WRX will be a ton of fun!

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
#3 Old 11-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
I'd recommend the Subie roof rack rails. They are designed to reduce the wind noise. I have them and I didn't even know they were on the car. If you get the Subie roof rack and want a fairing the only fairing that fits comfortably with no modification and easy install on the Subie rack is the INNO fairing, medium size is the perfect one. The rack rails are obround so most fairings don't work to well without modifying. I did a lot of research before purchasing.
I'd recommend this site for the cross bars:

ALL PARTS ARE SOLD AT 25%OFF RETAIL, MSRP PRICING, NO OTHER DISCOUNTS, OFFERS,

Snow tires/wheels, two options depending on money and knowledge.
1. You can go the probably easier route and go to tirerack.com order some 16" steel wheels for you car and get some snow tires which they mount and balance and you just put them on, blizzaks are great on subarus. I have blizzaks and love them. Steel wheels will run ya about $58 a wheel I think and the blizzaks are$123 each.
2. Or you can go for used. One of the guys on here just went on a wild goose chase looking for the right offset wheels used and tires. This is the tougher option I think, but if you play your cards right you can get a good set up for cheap. The wheel offset on these are very important to stay as close to stock as possible, as well.

And lastly, welcome! Post some pictures.
You have any plans to mod? We are always open to questions. Just never get a vent to atmosphere BOV!
OttomanRob likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#4 Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

OttomanRob is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
I'd recommend the Subie roof rack rails. They are designed to reduce the wind noise. I have them and I didn't even know they were on the car. If you get the Subie roof rack and want a fairing the only fairing that fits comfortably with no modification and easy install on the Subie rack is the INNO fairing, medium size is the perfect one. The rack rails are obround so most fairings don't work to well without modifying. I did a lot of research before purchasing.
I'd recommend this site for the cross bars:

ALL PARTS ARE SOLD AT 25%OFF RETAIL, MSRP PRICING, NO OTHER DISCOUNTS, OFFERS,

Snow tires/wheels, two options depending on money and knowledge.
1. You can go the probably easier route and go to tirerack.com order some 16" steel wheels for you car and get some snow tires which they mount and balance and you just put them on, blizzaks are great on subarus. I have blizzaks and love them. Steel wheels will run ya about $58 a wheel I think and the blizzaks are$123 each.
2. Or you can go for used. One of the guys on here just went on a wild goose chase looking for the right offset wheels used and tires. This is the tougher option I think, but if you play your cards right you can get a good set up for cheap. The wheel offset on these are very important to stay as close to stock as possible, as well.

And lastly, welcome! Post some pictures.
You have any plans to mod? We are always open to questions. Just never get a vent to atmosphere BOV!
Thanks for all this, it answers basically all my questions. The only other thing I was contemplating, after looking at the Blizzaks, was getting a performance snow rather than a snow because in the NYC Metro area we don't generally get a lot of snow, mostly slush. Didn't want to lose traction when I head to the slopes to board, but saw a few reviews of the Blizzaks that mentioned additional whining or road noise. Road noise is to be expected, but whining sounds (other than the beautiful sound of the turbo) get to me after a while.

I think the rack and mounts are going on the Bday/Christmas list. There is an advantage to them both being in December after all.

Thanks for the welcomes.
#5 Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Hey Rob!

Welcome to the site, congrats on the new WRX! I think COBB is already working on getting the AccessPORT working on the new 2014 model and a bunch of other mechanical and suspension components have already been tested to fit.

If you have any questions about other upgrades let me know and I'll be happy to hook you up! (We give special discounts to forum members, isn't that rad?!)

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#6 Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
I've never had a whining noise. Maybe those people put them on the wrong side being a directional tire.I can't say that I have much road noise on regular city roads. I'd say my road noise isn't that bad under fifty mph. Traveling on the highway there tends to be a little bit of noise that possibly could become bothersome. I turn the tunes up a bit and I'm good. Also my exhaust is the spt which is louder than stock so that helps drown out the the tire noise. I can't complain a bit. I debated on performance snows when I was looking last year. I'm interested to see what others opinions are.
OttomanRob likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#7 Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My exhaust causes extra noise. My snows don't make any noise either.

Welcome.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#8 Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX CORKUM777 is an unknown
Hey everyone I have been deeply inlove with subarus since the first time I heard one come through my neighborhood I could never forget the sound and rumble it made it was music to my ears haha. So I have had some crazy different cars since then a 69 Ford Probe, a 98 Eclipse GS, a 95 VW Passat Wagon, and now i own a 2006 Dodge Charger wich is now the family car, got married and have two kids now so I have been busy and never did get the chance to own one yet. So just recently my wife has given me the pass to use my tax money next year put a down payment on a subaru of my choice!! So until then I am looking at everything and looking for advice in buying a WRX model cause I'm worried about STI insurance being higher? Is it? And what do you guys think is a good year, I'm looking at 09-13

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#9 Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Western is an unknown
To OP: Welcome!!!

To the Previous post: Welcome, but copy and paste that into your own intro thread