New here...introduction - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-11-2008, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeb01453 is an unknown
New here...introduction

Ok well first off my name is mike. I just recently bought an 05 blue wrx and well i will get pics up as soon as possible, i was not on the market for a car at all until 2 sundays ago when my 99 integra gsr was stolen and stripped, so here i am. Now modding cars is my hobby and i love it, but when it comes to this i think i will keep it fairly simple. First off i will be putting in a new system which i really dont classify as modding but some people do. And as far as actually modding the car like i said i want to keep it simple so i was thinking a 3 inch exhaust, uncatted Up pipe as well as a uncatted down pipe, i have read through the articles on exhaust and what not and have decided with a 4 inch down pipe and 3 inch mid pipe to a 3 inch exhaust. Not sure what size a should go with for up pipe or if its all the same. Also will be adding a turbo timer and i would like an after market BOV mainly for the sound but some advise against it, basically if would potentially harm the car i dont want to do it. And as far as cosmetics maybe an sti wing and some new rims but that would probably be the extent of it, any advice would be appreciated and like i said i will get pics up this week. (sorry for the long post)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

SpyKe is an unknown
Hey man! Welcome! I just join yesturday and what I noticed is that its takes idk... like a few hours for someone to reply back to a post haha. No joke. Its not as big as some threads that all you need to wait is maybe 5 mins for a reply haha. But enjoy it here. I sure am learning a lot!

Oh and sorry I can't help much. I know someone here will be able to though!

'04 Tiburon GT V6 - 6 Speed - Mods: AEM CAI
#3 Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Robby1989 is an unknown
I am pretty new too i just joined like a couple weeks ago! But the best thing to do is get the Upipe and downpipe then buy and accesse port! Flash it to stage 2, It make the wrx a monster! I have 3inch tbe and it sound and run great! I have a spt air intake and you can really heard the turbo and the "blow off noise" in the intake really well!
#4 Old 05-11-2008, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeb01453 is an unknown
haha its ok man, im still learning to, i was a NA guy for a while, loved my integra but some jerk thought it would be a better car in a million pieces. But i guess now i get to move onto a new experience
#5 Old 05-11-2008, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Robby1989 is an unknown
Trust me you should be happy it got stolen wrx is an amazing car!
#6 Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeb01453 is an unknown
one question i did have is if i went with a Down pipe with no cat is this legal? or is the mid pipe with cat enough?
#7 Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

SpyKe is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby1989 View Post
Trust me you should be happy it got stolen wrx is an amazing car!
idk... any car stolen sucks. All the shit you have to go though with the police, reports, etc.

'04 Tiburon GT V6 - 6 Speed - Mods: AEM CAI
#8 Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Robby1989 is an unknown
You will be fine as long as you put a mid cat on it, because stock sti's come with a catless down pipe! I dont have any on mine and I passed e-check, i dont really know how i did but i just kept quite and it said cat present on the paper!
Sorry about ## car it suck no matter what it is!
#9 Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Welcome! And sorry to hear about your other ride... I'm sure that was very frustrating for you. It sounds like you have some pretty good plans for your WRX though.

- Look for a downpipe with a bellmouth design (catted or catless is up to you)
- Definitely look into engine management (Cobb AP, opensource, or a pro-tune) at the same time you upgrade your downpipe
- A catless uppipe is a great idea for your car and they're all similarly sized (try to find one with a flex section for easier fitment)
- A turbo timer isn't really necessary on a stock turbo since they're air, oil, AND water cooled... right now it's more of a bling factor for you, so that's ok
- An atmospheric-venting BOV (the kind that sounds cool) is somewhat of a touchy subject around here. From everything I've read about them, I would avoid upgrading yours until you upgrade your turbo and it becomes a necessity. Venting to the atmosphere on a stock WRX causes a rich condition between shifts and can cause damage.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#10 Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
In regards to the access port....I think it's a good investment if you need to flash back and fourth between your stock map and stage 2 or 3, but if you're not doing that just go with a pro tune, it's cheaper than the acess port.

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#11 Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Man show offered the right steps/advice. The catless DP is dependent on the state you live in and yes, the catless is cheaper, but doesnt really give you anymore power with just small simple bolt ons. EM is another choice that you pretty much have to make yourself based on your funds and ability/understanding and how far you want to take your car. Just research these subjects as they have been discused often and you will find alot of info on them. Welcome to the club.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

mikeb01453 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Man show offered the right steps/advice. The catless DP is dependent on the state you live in and yes, the catless is cheaper, but doesnt really give you anymore power with just small simple bolt ons. EM is another choice that you pretty much have to make yourself based on your funds and ability/understanding and how far you want to take your car. Just research these subjects as they have been discused often and you will find alot of info on them. Welcome to the club.

yea i have been reading the major topics about exhaust, BOV, Intakes etc. Thats why i decided with a catless up pipe and i will ask me buddy if a catless dp is legal in mass or not, and as far as BOV goes like i said i want the sound but not at the expense of hurting the car. And major tuning will not be very common, i lost alot of money when my last car was taken so i will keep this fairly simple, plus my mechanic has a all wheel drive dyno and will be more than happy to tune the car for me, but an exhaust is an absolute must for me. Oh and thanks to all for the welcome, glad to see you guys are so welcoming. I will be a regular on here because im eager to learn more about my car. Thanks guys

Last edited by mikeb01453; 05-12-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added text
#13 Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you are looking into a BOV, look into a 50/50 setup, probably the best bet if you really want the sound. There are many people on here that know their stuff and are very willing to help. Comes with the car, lol.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
If i were you, if you don't plan on upgrading turbos you might want to stick with a 3 inch bellmouth downpipe... the 4 inch might be too big for the stock turbo....

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#15 Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think generally a "bellmouth" downpipe begins as a 4" (measured lengthwise) oval opening at the turbo and then tapers down to 3" (or 2.5" or whatever size) where it connects to the cat back. I don't think there is such a thing as a 3" bellmouth because such a design would be a pretty significant restriction right at the turbo and very similar to the stock plate design. I'm only saying this because I measured my Cobb bellmouth dp before I put it on and that's what I saw.

Then again, I guess it's all about perspective. I could say I have a 4" bellmouth downpipe (since the bellmouth part of it is actually about 4" wide where it connects to the turbo) if I want it to sound big, or I could say I have a 3" downpipe since that's the general size of the pipe. I could also say it tapers from 4" down to 2.5" since that's what it actually does. No matter how you describe it, the bellmouth design is pretty good.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)