New to the Forums - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-01-2007, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Modena1230 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Modena1230
New to the Forums

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I joined to get info on modding my car and learn how to get into racing. I'm running an 05 9-2X(wrx wagon). Any help would be much appreciated. I sort of know what i want to do to my car, but not sure of what companies to use. I want to put on an exhaust, catback system any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2007, 03:09 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Well welcome to the forums. I personally would see about some sort of engine management for the car first, then probably a full exhaust. There was a guy on here that had a build up saab, but I think he blew the engine, and I havent seen him around for awhile.
#3 Old 06-01-2007, 03:25 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Well welcome to the forums. I personally would see about some sort of engine management for the car first, then probably a full exhaust. There was a guy on here that had a build up saab, but I think he blew the engine, and I havent seen him around for awhile.
eh, his car got too expensive for him. He put thousands into mods and then really just couldn't afford the car anymore. A lesson to all of us to stay within our means so we can afford to keep it running first. Gotta pay to play.

I'd suggest exhaust work and EM as well. The stock downpipe is crap and you have 3 cats in your system. Also the car is tuned like crap from the factory. You can make more power, better gas miledge, and run smoother with some tuning work

The best mod though is probably tires. The stock RE92s are ever loving pieces of crap AND expensive

EDIT: Wow I say crap a lot

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 06-01-2007, 03:27 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
eh, his car got too expensive for him. He put thousands into mods and then really just couldn't afford the car anymore. A lesson to all of us to stay within our means so we can afford to keep it running first. Gotta pay to play.

I'd suggest exhaust work and EM as well. The stock downpipe is crap and you have 3 cats in your system. Also the car is tuned like crap from the factory. You can make more power, better gas miledge, and run smoother with some tuning work

The best mod though is probably tires. The stock RE92s are ever loving pieces of crap AND expensive

EDIT: Wow I say crap a lot
Oh I see, thanks for that update mosc, wondered about that. Oh yeah, tires are something REALLY worth looking into also.
#5 Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Modena1230 is an unknown
Ok this may be a ridiculous question but if i run some em what will that do to my warrenty? and dare i ask is it worth it because i know the answer i will get.
#6 Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena1230 View Post
Ok this may be a ridiculous question but if i run some em what will that do to my warrenty? and dare i ask is it worth it because i know the answer i will get.
well, obviously if you do something to your engine and they know about it, they can complain. Technically though, they have to PROVE a modification you have done caused the damage to deny a warranty claim. However, mods aren't the only reason they deny warranty work. Many people get denied drivetrain work due to improper driving (be it legitament or made up) irregardless of mods. Warranty work is always subject to review to the conditions of the failure. If it's not the car's fault, they don't want to cover it.

That said, most EM actually make the car run better. When I got my car tuned, it ran better than it ever did from the factory. More MPG (when I keep my foot off the gas), smoother, and much more lively. Subaru doesn't have the time to tune each car and there's a lot of gains just to be done form tuning. Also, it's really not possible for them to tell you've done EM with most re-flashers.

If they're going to refuse to warranty work, it probably doesn't matter if you had EM or not, they would have already made up their mind. I wouldn't tell them I had the mod done obviously, but I don't think you're going to run into a situation where it'll matter. In fact, the smoother running car make PREVENT it from breaking in the first place. A professional Dyno tune is the best thing you can do for your car IMHO (and a great performance mod).

#7 Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Modena1230 is an unknown
Thanks for the help. It's been slow at work so i've done some research here and have a much better idea of what i want to do. Thanks again for the help i'm sure i will need more in the future. BTW what would be a good em to buy if i want to tinker with the maps myself and about how much is it going to set me back?
#8 Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Garage
if you want to tinker with maps yourself, the UTEC is awesome. It doesn't have great base maps performance wise but really allows the user to completely tune the car themselves. It's a piggyback system so it says in your car and "piggybacks" on the stock ECU. They're $900-$1000 though, but for a completely tunable car, that's really not bad.

#9 Old 06-07-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena1230 View Post
Thanks for the help. It's been slow at work so i've done some research here and have a much better idea of what i want to do. Thanks again for the help i'm sure i will need more in the future. BTW what would be a good em to buy if i want to tinker with the maps myself and about how much is it going to set me back?
You can also go the opensource way, a bit cheaper, dont know a thing about it though. I run the Cobb AP, and it you buy the street tuner software it allows you to tweak the maps yourself also.
#10 Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Garage
the street tuner is probably just as expensive as the UTEC and not as easy to play around with. If you want to tune yourself a little bit, the UTEC is the only way to go.

#11 Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
the street tuner is probably just as expensive as the UTEC and not as easy to play around with. If you want to tune yourself a little bit, the UTEC is the only way to go.
I know that the AP plus the street tuner package will cost you about $950, but I have not the slightest clue of the Utec. Except that the people that use them love them.