New 04 Wagon owner + pic - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Merkava is an unknown
New 04 Wagon owner + pic

Hey All!

My name is Sam, and a few weeks ago I picked up my 2004 WR Blue WRX Wagon with 60,000 miles. I have to say I'm really thrilled with the performance and quality of the car. This is my first Subaru ever, and I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about.

To be honest, it was almost a tragedy when I was in the process of buying it. I had been looking online for used cars for months but never gave much thought to a WRX (though I had looked briefly for a used STI, but none were anywhere near my price range...). So I'm looking around the used car lot of the Porshce/Audi/VW/Subaru dealer here in town and I'm seeing GTIs and Jettas that are pretty sweet, but then out of the corner of my eye I see this blue wagon sitting in the back of the lot. I take a look, go for a test drive (naturally), and leave with the salesman's business card.

Fast forward one week.

It's a nice day, I finally have my finances in order, and I'm ready to buy the WRX. I roll up to the dealership with my cash and a vehicle to trade in, and I start looking for "my" car. It's gone. Nowhere to be seen. Where it had been sitting is now a BMW that I can't afford. I'm sweating bullets, and I literally jog into the showroom to ask the salesman I had been working with if he's seen the car. He says the magic words: "Oh yeah, it's in the back. Manager said too many high school kids were asking for test drives and putting miles on the car."

I tell him I'll take it.

So there it is. I narrowly missed my opportunity to own a pretty darn good car, but triumphed in the end. I have to say I'm pleased that things worked out.

No mods at the moment, none immediately planned (grad school = no monies), but I've spun a few wrenches in my time so eventually I'll post something really cool (I hope). In fact, I'm starting to notice some mild clutch slippage when I goose it, so that will likely be my first project. Anecdotes and personal wisdom are welcomed from anyone who has replaced their clutch!

Alright, so here's a pic I snapped yesterday while storming around some country roads; hope you like it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
nice find, i 'm kinda a fan of the wagons!
The clutch is not hard at all, the only weird thing about it the removal of the fork pin. you have to screw a bolt into the threaded hole of the pin and pull it out. but other than that it should take an afternoon for your average DIY'er, or if you are experienced enough you can have it done in a hour and a half from start to finish. well thats the fastest I've done one.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Wagons rock !! I just did my clutch, by way of pulling the motor, since I was doing timing belt and other related things all at once. Pretty straight forward install. Ask away if you get stuck with anything.

Here's my tip, first mod for your car....sway bars and endlinks. Power mods are fun too but, getting the car to handle better is money well spent. Welcome to the fun
post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2008, 01:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

aeneas is an unknown
nice. i had a similar scare with my car. i ended up bribing the dealer with a 100 bucks to guarantee he kept it for a couple more weeks. i love the way my 02 looks but whenever i see like an 04 i get a little buyers remorse. then i go look at my car and remember how insane the two huge lights look and smile.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Welcome to the family. Anly advice I can offer about the clutch is to replace it with another stock one. Nice looking car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"