N00b with new 09 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
N00b with new 09 WRX

Just got a 09 WRX on Saturday, this is my first Subaru and so far it has been a blast. Here are a couple pics, will get more tomorrow during the day. Hopefully the windows will be tinted this weekend and I'll be looking for a cat back soon.
-Jason
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the club man. It really is starting to be a 09 WRX phenom going on. It seems like everyone and their momma's are getting one. Must be the fact that it's close to STi power.

I need moar powar!!!!

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Welcome to the family man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
What a cute lil intercooler you have in that ginormous scoop! ...which gives me an idea: what if someone were to stretch or otherwise modify (possibly two hood scoops side by side?) the hood scoop to almost the length of the hood in order to mount an fmic on top of the engine in place of the tmic? It would allow for significantly more cooling capacity/ability while creating less lag? Am I on to something or is that just crazy talk?

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Crazy John, lol, j/k. I did notice that also though. A massive scoop compared to us later models, but a tiny little IC in that thing.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Smaller intercooler but bigger HP; obviously not because of the intercooler. I have done ZERO research on parts for this car but what is a good turbo timer? I've heard that it isn't necessary but I would rather be safe than sorry. Also, anything against the SPT cat back exhaust?
#7 Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Turbo timer is a bad idea. It adds a failure point and doesn't do any good.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Manshow, sounds like a good idea. But you forget that the turbo's heat also escapes from from that massive scoop. That and if you upgrade the 08-09s to a perrin TMIC. Then it wouldn't be such a small IC in there.
#9 Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ahh... good points. Well, I guess in that case, you'd need a strategically positioned stretched or side-by-side hood scoops, a slightly offset FMIC on top of the engine but slightly to the right of the turbo, AND a vent above the turbo to let that heat out (or maybe a turbo blanket). I suppose with enough time and money, it could work. It's an interesting concept anyway.

John
07 WRX
#10 Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Turbo timer is a bad idea. It adds a failure point and doesn't do any good.

I'm assuming you are just saying that it is one more part that "could" fail? How would letting the trubo cool down even more not do any good? Yes I could sit in the car but that isn't any fun, I had to do that with my diesel.
#11 Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I dont see how a turbo timer is a bad idea. (unless installed wrong) It is normally frowned upon my several people because our turbo's are small and are cooled with the same coolant that is used to cool your engine so they see it as a waste of money.

Driving really slow through the parking lot or where you're about to park is considered enough time to let it cool. If anything it serves a purpose if you are always in a hurry and cant wait 20-30 seconds afterwards to let the turbo cool.

That's about how long I wait when I remember to wait before I turn my car off.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#12 Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM

I have had one on my car for 3 years, I just like the look people give you as you walk away from your car while its still running.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I have had one on my car for 3 years, I just like the look people give you as you walk away from your car while its still running.
And that's the only REAL reason to ever put one on a stock turbo WRX. Thanks for being honest.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#14 Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Not a problem, and thats the truth in why I got one, besides knowing that I would eventually go to a bigger turbo.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"