lurker making first post - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

vdubvr6 is an unknown
lurker making first post

hello everyone. just wanted to introduce myself and stop lurking!

my name's Joel, i'm 28, i live in Abilene, TX. been here for a little over 3 years now stationed at Dyess AFB. been in the military over 9 yrs. i'm from Round Rock (Austin metro area) TX originally. recently divorced after 9 years.... i never knew there were sooo many parties to attend!!! i have 2 daughters that live with their mother and 1 dog that stayed with me. enough about me.....

i purchased my '02 silver WRX in august '08 from it's original owner in Austin. very clean car i must say. i'm a VW guy at heart, but was ready for a little break/change. so far though, i've made a few mods to my WRX. HKS DP, GReddy CBE, TurboXS Utec, de-snorkled? (big ass intake catch box removed). i've upgraded my stereo as well with a flip-up CD/DVD player and 1 12" sub. door speakers are in the works.

I started AutoXing recently and enjoy the hell out of it! i'll be needing new tires now. lol. i've decided that MANY suspension upgrades are in order if i'm to compete with some of the others out there. so lots of plans there.

so far, this forum is my favorite!

i'll get some good pics of my ride posted after i get it clean again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
Welcome aboard!!!

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
post #3 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
welcome to the club man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubvr6 View Post
i'm a VW guy at heart,
Oh reeeeaaallllyyy....... I just so happen to own a VW..... I'm guessing you had a vr6, by your name. I'm waiting on a better job to convert myself to a Subaru.... Freaking 5 or less hours a week @ minimum wage @ McDonalds aint going to cut it!

Anyway, welcome, i'm sure you'll like it here.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

vdubvr6 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
Oh reeeeaaallllyyy....... I just so happen to own a VW..... I'm guessing you had a vr6, by your name. I'm waiting on a better job to convert myself to a Subaru.... Freaking 5 or less hours a week @ minimum wage @ McDonalds aint going to cut it!

Anyway, welcome, i'm sure you'll like it here.
LOL, yeah, i've owned 2 diff VR6's. the user name just stuck for me; it's used on all the forums i join. a 2000 GTi was my first VW back in '03. owned it a year, had issues, got rid of it and got into aircooled stuff. since mid '04 i've owned 8 different bugs. more recently, i owned a '95 GTi VR6. only had it for about 7 months though as i sold it to fund the purchase of a '57 Oval window Bug. then the divorce crap started, so i sold the '57. !Cry! For some strange reason i started looking at subi's and found this one and fell in love after i test drove it. i actually still have 2 aircooled bugs ('64 and '74) and an '01 New Beetle <- EX's left in the driveway for me to pay for!

So, i love the WRX. i've done a few more slight mods to it and have more in the works. tires are deffinatly next, just not sure if i wanna look for new rims also. rims are decent aftermarket konig's now, but would like something different, and in 17's, not 16's. i REALLY would like to get rid of the massive wheel gap up front as well. not sure that i'll ever do the rally thing in this car, so i'll ###### start off with drop springs and save my pennies for a coil-over susp. i love the way these look when dropped!

thanks for the welcomes guys. i think i will start another thread to show off and also keep a record of my mods. thanks again and look forward to eventually being a resource for other NOOBS!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubvr6 View Post
LOL, yeah, i've owned 2 diff VR6's. the user name just stuck for me; it's used on all the forums i join. a 2000 GTi was my first VW back in '03. owned it a year, had issues, got rid of it and got into aircooled stuff. since mid '04 i've owned 8 different bugs. more recently, i owned a '95 GTi VR6. only had it for about 7 months though as i sold it to fund the purchase of a '57 Oval window Bug. then the divorce crap started, so i sold the '57. !Cry! For some strange reason i started looking at subi's and found this one and fell in love after i test drove it. i actually still have 2 aircooled bugs ('64 and '74) and an '01 New Beetle <- EX's left in the driveway for me to pay for!

So, i love the WRX. i've done a few more slight mods to it and have more in the works. tires are deffinatly next, just not sure if i wanna look for new rims also. rims are decent aftermarket konig's now, but would like something different, and in 17's, not 16's. i REALLY would like to get rid of the massive wheel gap up front as well. not sure that i'll ever do the rally thing in this car, so i'll ###### start off with drop springs and save my pennies for a coil-over susp. i love the way these look when dropped!

thanks for the welcomes guys. i think i will start another thread to show off and also keep a record of my mods. thanks again and look forward to eventually being a resource for other NOOBS!
Cool, sounds to me like to you love the bugs lol... I've got a '99 mk3 Jetta VR6... Just a couple little mods like eibach springs, intake, exhaust cutout (sounds mean and nasty Lol) and a GIAC chip to top it off...

I know why you started looking at subies..... They share a flat four similarly like the old school Bugs. Lols.... Just slightly bigger, and make a little more power. And most importantly, Turbocharged!

Do you have any other mods to the suspension yet? Like sway bars and endlinks? Or is that what's "in the works"... Also, what kind of tires are you looking at? BF Goodrich makes KDW's that are repectable, and Falken makes an Azenis RT-615 tire that is amazing... My buddy got those all around 215/45 r17's for like $650+.... Expensive, but they lasted a whole year; practically all bald right now, and they stuck considerably well.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2008, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

vdubvr6 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
Cool, sounds to me like to you love the bugs lol... I've got a '99 mk3 Jetta VR6... Just a couple little mods like eibach springs, intake, exhaust cutout (sounds mean and nasty Lol) and a GIAC chip to top it off...

I know why you started looking at subies..... They share a flat four similarly like the old school Bugs. Lols.... Just slightly bigger, and make a little more power. And most importantly, Turbocharged!

Do you have any other mods to the suspension yet? Like sway bars and endlinks? Or is that what's "in the works"... Also, what kind of tires are you looking at? BF Goodrich makes KDW's that are repectable, and Falken makes an Azenis RT-615 tire that is amazing... My buddy got those all around 215/45 r17's for like $650+.... Expensive, but they lasted a whole year; practically all bald right now, and they stuck considerably well.
Yeah, love the bugs, any aircooled really. you're right about what drew my attention to the Subi's. that Flat 4!

as of now, everything but the TBE is stock. still need to install the TXS EM. the rims are aftermarket 16's but i'm really looking at some 17's, not sure on the tires yet though.

sway bars, end links, anti-lift kit, drop springs are all in the works and pennies are being saved. need to get rid of some of my other vehicles to fund all this though. ('04 F150 , '01 New Beetle, '64 Bug project, '74 bug rat rod project, '01 Suzuki SV650 (wrecked in march !Cry!), and my '02 Subi) again.... DIVORCE sucks hard! everything but the Subi will go eventually, just a waiting game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement