A kid looking for ideas! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

KCsubikid is an unknown
A kid looking for ideas!

Well I am 18 years old and I have had my '05 WRX from about a week and a half. It is an incredible piece of machinery! Since I am just starting out, and am on somewhat of a limited budget because of college saving, I have a few questions.
I read the mod list and the order to do everything in, and one of the first things it said to do is by a catback exhaust. I have been looking around, but don't know exactly what to look for when it comes to quality and affordability. I have found numerous different kinds and prices and it is all a bit confusing to me. Any suggestions?
Also, i was looking at intakes. Would this be another good first or second mod?
Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 02:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
best bang for the buck is always a school. being young you have an incredible advantage because you dont have any bad habits. you will drive your car harder, faster, and safer after you understand how the physics work then with any mod.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
where did you read that a cat back and intake should be your first mods? everyone here will tell you to get EM first then a TBE.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD_JOE is an unknown
im 18 also....people are gonna hate me for saying this butt, on ebay you can get a cheap tbe for like 380 lol i know i know its cheap but....it gets the job done haha im gonna be disliked for saying this haha.. but i know how it is when money is tight....if you do any thing get a cobb ap first can't go cheap on EM...........and also get to know your car better befor upping the performance..........
post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Suspended

HotKarl is on thin ice
Your best bang for your buck would be NOS not a catback.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ha HA ... Hotkarl

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Suspended

HotKarl is on thin ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
best bang for the buck is always a school. being young you have an incredible advantage because you dont have any bad habits. you will drive your car harder, faster, and safer after you understand how the physics work then with any mod.
I respectfully disagree. I've been to numerous driving schools and have learned little to nothing when it comes to driving hard. We all know we're not gonna be professional drivers so why even pay the $2K to have some old dood tell me how to "take the proper line".
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
maybe you went to a crap school.

/shrugs
post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Trinity54 is an unknown
i would suggest going for small mods 1st that lets you getaway without having to go for those ecutek/opensource/piggyback or standalone ecus.
things like intake filters upgrade ,maybe a exhaust system upgrade depending on ## budget.or who knows even cosmetic upgrades?afterall u only got ## ride for such a period of time.
enjoy ## mods in stages.no point throwing big amt of money doing everything all go at one shot.the real enjoyment of the modding process is to go in stages.
do some bits and enjoy it for few mths and when ## thirst for power comes back again.go for abit more.dun touch major mods 1st as yet.cos when u start doing things like turbo, u have to mod many other things to compliment one another.and there ## pocket becomes lighter and u have to live on bread and butter.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
First off welcome to the club. Second look into EM first. A CBE is more for sound and looks then power. The real restriction in the WRX exhaust setup is the DP, so yu can just change it and save some from getting the whole TBE. If you dont have the money, I know its frustrating, but just wait and save until you can get what you want.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement