IHI Vf30 upgrade - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ryan02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ryan02wrx
IHI Vf30 upgrade

Hi,
i have a stock 02 wrx. and i was looking into putting an ihi vf30 turbo off the sti onto it. and i was just wondering what other upgrades i need to make it run safe as far as fuel and ecu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2007, 01:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
Did you mean a vf39? Either way you will need an up-pipe, tbe (turbo back exhaust), engine management, fuel pump, and fuel injectors. You may also want to look into a bigger intercooler, probably a top mount since the turbo you want is not huge.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The VF30 is a decent turbo. I am running it because it came with the car when I bought it. It is a blast to drive but spools pretty slow. If I was picking a turbo again I would go with a TD05 18g or a VF34. As far as the supporting mods you will need bigger injectors and engine management. Other things that you will want is a turbo back exhaust, uppipe, and a bigger TMIC. If you are bone stock I would start with the engine management, exhaust, uppipe and the TMIC. The stock turbo is small but if you free up all the restrictions in the exhaust you will spool very quickly and feel your power come on fast. You will still fall off after 5K rpms but for your daily driver you don't need to redline it in every gear.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx3r is more helpful than not
^you say your vf30 spools slow yet are looking into an 18g? thatll suck balls on spool compared to a vf30. also you said your looking into a vf34 or 18g... thats a huge difference in turbos in regards to spool and power levels. idk just tossing in some comments.

as for the OP you will NEED injectors and EM....it would be incredible dumb if you did not also upgrade to a new catless up-pipe, down pipe, and possibly a bigger TMIC. you can keep the stock catback if you please but may want to upgrade that as well.

bigger and better than ever
post #5 of 5 Old 05-22-2008, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Trinity54 is an unknown
i've used the vf30 for couple of mths before switching it over to a superzilla.
what i can say is , yes when comparing to the power output ratio against the spooling characteristics of the vf series,the vf30 is considered a tad slow.but definately not as slow as the vf22 series.and on top of that ### i would really recommend is getting the VF34 instead of the VF30.they produces almost the same amt of power and torque but the vf34 spools much faster and more responsive and still gives u the punch.

as for other parts upgrades to compliment the vf30,i would recommend
1)injector upgrade (maybe say the 550cc sti pink ones)
2)fuel regulator
3)bigger fuel pump
4)bigger top mount intercooler
5)maybe a software flash with ecutek or opensource if budget is tight
6)silicon turbo inlet hose (maybe perrin or samco ,its worth the penny )

i might not be correct with the above setup.but thats ### i went for last time when i am running the vf30 and i absolutely have no problems with it.
hope it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement