hi all - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2k8baller is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to 2k8baller
hi all

Hi all

Im a brand newbie!!.. I have an question to ask, I live in nyc and i have an 1993 altima 5spd and since then I regretted in purchasing a 5 spd in the city and want to get an automatic. I recently saw ad for sale on a 2002 wrx wagon , automatic with 132 k miles on it. I meet up with the owner to check it out and the body had some minor dents and all the repair work and maintance was done accordly. While test driving the car I notice that turbo didnt kick in right away , I figure since it was a automatic it takes a little bit longer to push it, but I was in the street and i didnt have enough road to drive to feel the power.
So here my questions ..1)since it has a lot of miles for the car what part of the car should i look for ? 2) are there any upgrades with an automatic wrx ? and 3 ) should I just get a 5spd instead of automatic to get the most of the car? ### help me out for some advice because I need to close a deal with the seller.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

DraconisWRX is an unknown
I think I see most people say to get a compression check done among other things.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The automatics do spool slower/later than the 5spds. I like the 5spd cause it seems you are more "in control" of the power and the way it is delivered. But with the automatics, ont have to worry about the tranny as much if you drive it hard.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-13-2007, 06:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

TougeTuned is an unknown
Yeah The stall rate is way too high on the automatics IMO
post #5 of 9 Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2k8baller is an unknown
thanks for the advise but what about the upgrade with automatic ? do they have alot of updgrade to make it run faster like an 5spd?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k8baller View Post
thanks for the advise but what about the upgrade with automatic ? do they have alot of updgrade to make it run faster like an 5spd?
You can do most of the upgrades a 5 spd can (minus the tranny lol). I like how it was put by newtothegame that you can really CONTROL the power with the MT. But if your in the city I can definitely see why you'd want the AT. I've driven in manhatten only a few times (usually take the train) and it's the biggest PITA. Now i realize your not on the island but forest hills, bronx or queens? I'm thinkin Queens as a have a buddy who lives there and it sounds familiar. When you check the car a compression test is good to have done, also check for any kind of leaks or smoke. If you get another test drive try your best to get on it and push it a bit so you can see if there anything wrong under harsher conditions.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #7 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 06:42 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Longshot is absolutely right about the upgrades. You can do the same things as the 5spds, you just dont have to worry about the tranny going in urs if you drive it hard.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2k8baller is an unknown
thanks all for your advise! since it is an automatic ... I would like to spend about $1000 on upgrade. Could anyone direct me on what part to get and stay on budget.

thanks again for the helps
post #9 of 9 Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

What is your goal for the car. EM is one of the best, a DP will give one of the best gains as the stock one is VERY restrictive. If it has factory tires, a different set of those wouldnt hurt either. It depends on what you want out of the car. But those are some firsts to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement