Hello From Las Vegas - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubieNewbie is an unknown
Question Hello From Las Vegas

Hey Everyone - New to the forum if you couldn't already guess by my handle...

With Gas price's as high as they are I have been forced to hang up my 750 double pumper and 4.10 gears and cross the great divide into the foreign market. I have been doing allot of research about the smaller, more efficient car market, and I cant get over all of the positive response's about the WRX line. Not wanting to follow the pack and still keep some dignity I decided to stay away from the Honda's and Mitsu's.

I am planning on picking up an 07 WRX before the end of the year. Don't know if I can swing for an Sti or not but all the same I think I will be getting a great car.

Anyone out there that has some advice for someone that's not ever had to deal with turbo's, AWD, or EFI for that matter? I'm pretty much starting from scratch. Its not in my blood to keep a car stock tuned. But I'm not looking to build a 9 second car on my first run.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
sounds good! Let us know when you get the keys so we can give you a nice welcome to the community.

Anyway yeah, the mods are quite different, that's the main thing. EFI, Turbo, AWD, all change things. Our cars respond extremely well to a good tune and the value of a more open exhaust is not lost but other tried and true power methods of NA rwd big blocks don't work as well. The Subaru intake is one of the most advanced out there and good for much more power than it makes stock so replacing it gives no gains and often picks up some losses. Similarly, our drivetrain is pretty different. The tranny is actually the most common point of failure due to the added stress of four gripping wheels. Make big power and you still wont get much slip on street tires. AWD in a 3000 lb car makes for a whole lot of grip. With that in mind, changing ratios doesn't do much good either. You do get some forced induction to play with though, adding boost or a bigger turbo can make massive gains. The stock block is good for plenty too, unfortunately a lot more than the tranny...

If you swing the STi, you'll be getting a bigger turbo and intercooler to start with along with a much better tranny (although still not indestructable). It is a 6-speed that's frustratingly tight though, keep that in mind (can't reach 60mph in 2nd). You should at least test drive em both. Other MISC gismos include bigger rims and breaks, better tires (decent summers instead of crap all seasons), better shocks and springs, DCCD, and very large useless wing on the back

The best power mods to start with are the downpipe and a good tune. The stock downpipe has a really stupid design that doesn't let the wastegate flow very well so switching to a bellmouth (and maybe taking out a CAT or two) can get some good gains. Tuning really helps these cars, they come pretty tame from the factory, particularly on the low end. It's also the best way to raise some boost.

Watch out for CAIs, BOVs, MBCs, and some other mods out there. Subaru's MAF based tuning doesn't respond well to these mods and they can cause serious problems. Better to just re-flash the stock ECU with a more agressive tune (it's quite re-programmable unlike older cars).

And ask lots of questions! If I said some acronym or word you don't recognize, feel free to ask.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

peedubbz is an unknown
whats MBCs?
#4 Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubieNewbie is an unknown
I do have a question about gears. A former co-worker of mine said that if i get a wrx to make sure i get cryo treated gears. What the fvck was he talking about?
#5 Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Mbc= Manual Boost Controller

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#6 Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNewbie View Post
I do have a question about gears. A former co-worker of mine said that if i get a wrx to make sure i get cryo treated gears. What the fvck was he talking about?
eh, it's not that big a deal. IF you change trannys, you can get cryo treated gears which basically means they've cold treated the metal so it will be a little stronger and take a little more abuse. You don't really need to change the tranny unless you brake it or turn your car into a monster though and it's not exactly a cheap mod so your co-worker is mostly talking out of his ass.

IF you broke your tranny and IF you wanted to get something ONLY a little better than stock, than cryo-treated gears would be an option. That's two pretty big IFs.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
Most people never go past stage II, and the stock tranny generally handles that power level very well without abuse. Stock trannies can break, as well as modded ones... just don't be harsh with the launches and you should have many miles of problem free driving.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
#8 Old 07-09-2007, 03:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
+1 on the stock tranny. don't fix something that's not broke. wait till it breaks then go with ppg gears.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty