Hello - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

craigfralick is an unknown
Hello

I am new to the site. I'm looking to buy a WRX or STi soon and I'm not sure which direction to go. Should I go older STi or newer (I was thinking 2009+) and just get a regular WRX. I want to spend sround 15,000 (before mods or anything) on the car. I would like some insight from people who are more knowledgeable on the topic so let me know what ya think. This car would be used as a daily driver and fare well through Wisconsin winters. On the plus side I only have about a 5 mile drive to work and probably don't even put 10k miles on per year. And I work at a car dealership (mitsubishi/kia). So yeah I've been trying to do a lot of research on WRX's and this site has been the most helpful so I thought I'd join!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
It really depends what you want to do with it. I personally went for the WRX becuase I plan to upgrade everything on the car that makes the STI better. All except the transmission that is lol. As far as winter driving goes you should be fine with the WRX, I took mine to Indy last christmas and it was great!

Welsome to the website though, and I hope your search goes well.

BTW if you work at a mitsubishi dealer why don't you want to go with an Evo? don't get me wrong I think they are both amazing cars I just figured that working at that dealership you would be sold on the Evo.
#3 Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well though I work here I just like Subarus better. Plus I've heard that maintenance on an Evo is higher. I also have another question on that regarding the transmission and some other things. What is or what are the differences between the 2008 and 2009 wrx. Is it worth spending the extra couple grand for the 2009? What I want to do with the car is drive it! But I want to be at like 330-370 hp at the wheels I think. Honestly I'm not entirely sure where I want to end up with it. But it'll be a daily driver.

#4 Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Get the newest car that you can afford with the lowest miles possible because you will probably become attached to the car and keep it for a long time. Most people prefer 2009 model WRXs over 2008 models because of the visual aspect of the wider/flared fenders and the more powerful VF-52 turbo. 2008 models had flatter fenders and the same (less powerful) TD-04 turbo that came on WRXs prior to 2009.

Used (unmodified) STis hold their value rather well, so you'll pay significantly more for one than a used WRX of similar age and mileage. With a budget of roughly $15k, I'd probably steer you toward a WRX. It might help if you can narrow your search down to a few specific cars and we can give you advice and opinions on each vehicle.

A golden rule for used car buying is to get one that's as close to stock as possible. Some mods aren't really a big deal, but others raise red flags.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks! Yeah I'll probably do that, I guess just looking for a 2009 WRX then. I would consider a 2008 for the right price I suppose. Another problem for me is there is just none for sale around me so I'm thinking of buying one with a rebuilt title, but I'm not sure if there is any serious things that I have to consider or look at before I consider one with a branded title. Also I'd probably be shipping it or flying down to it. Any listings I should look at or consider would be appreciated.

#6 Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Welcome... read this too : Buying a used WRX/STi ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes I discovered that thread after I posted this up. Actually this made me bring up the problems of potentially buyimg a car without seeimg it first...

#8 Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
A golden rule for used car buying is to get one that's as close to stock as possible. Some mods aren't really a big deal, but others raise red flag!
I am in the same boat in still trying to find the right wrx or sti.
What would be some red flag mods I should look out for and stay away from???
#9 Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Downpipe mainly.
If the heatshields are all there.
Different color couplers (prev mods might have been done).
Crashbar in the front is still there (from a previous FMIC install)
Any gadgets in the interior that are "performance" related.

That sort of thing.
man show likes this.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Atmospheric-venting blow off valves and manual boost controllers are two that I immediately think of.
pzr2874 likes this.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#11 Old 07-11-2013, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Atmospheric-venting blow off valves and manual boost controllers are two that I immediately think of.
Pig stickers and painted/plasti-dipped parts come to mind as well.
the RIOT act likes this.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 07-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
^LMAO^

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#13 Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lol like plasti dipped rims?

#14 Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wheel spacers and anything outside of stock size/offset wheels is another way to tell something was done....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigfralick View Post
Lol like plasti dipped rims?

Yes sir.

That's like plasti-dipping my sneakers..... knowing damn well it's the part that will get scuffed,chipped, messed up the most on a car.

In fact, anyone that "paints" stockers will more than likely tell you they nvr took EXTREME care of their car.... Down in the south at least. I know peeps up north do that stuff for winter wheel setups (nuthin wrong with that IMHO).

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3