Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   New Member Intros (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Hello (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f120/hello-34578/)

Aggro Crag 04-30-2013 04:50 AM

Hello

1 Attachment(s)
[FONT="Fixedsys"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="4"]Hello everyone. I just joined the forum. I decided to join after reading a post about a problem I am currently having with my '97 WRX. I suspected it had to do with fuel delivery, and the site helped me diagnose that I do in fact need to replace the fuel pump. I now want to post to see how that user made out.

My name is Ian, and I am originally from New Jersey. I now live in Japan. I posted a pic of my car... it was my dream since I was 16 years old to own this car. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Aggro Crag 04-30-2013 05:24 AM

and now it seriously needs a tune up. please help me keep it running strong

sleepr 04-30-2013 08:05 AM

At the moment, you're the closest to me so....

Hello neighbor! Welcome to the site!

BLAZE2099 04-30-2013 06:09 PM

Nice car! Give us some more details and we shall help.

Aggro Crag 05-01-2013 02:45 AM

@sleepr true the west coast is much closer than the east. My flight took like 13 hours to get here.
@blaze Thanks, I love this car so much. First night I took it out on the highway it scared the poop out of me. From then on I knew it was real.
So the issue I have been having, for a while now, is at WOT the car hesitates and bucks and is just generally not cool with me having fun. This happens maybe 60% of the time not always. I assumed it must be fuel or spark. So after a proper tune up it should go away. (I have yet to give it said tune up)
Also, sometimes in traffic it will just stall out. it also has a tendency to idle real rough.
[I]I'm really thinking it's the Fuel Pump. [/I]

So, one friend told me it's just that the intercooler is getting hot. Well I have the water spray and it is true that when it is on it happens less, but still it happens. Another told me I have a vacuum leak, and the turbo is "spiking" essentially.

So what do you think? Am I on the mark in diagnosing the fuel pump as being on it's way out?

pzr2874 05-01-2013 08:53 PM

Check the plugs and then dump a can of b12 in the tank.

OR

Do a boost leak test to rule it out.

OR both... couldn't hurt

sleepr 05-01-2013 10:59 PM

[quote=Aggro Crag;301866]@sleepr true the west coast is much closer than the east. My flight took like 13 hours to get here.
[/quote]

<-- lives in Korea. :D

Aggro Crag 05-02-2013 05:52 AM

thank you for all the feedback
@sleepr sorry I looked at the "club location" that said SoCal so.
@pzr a can of B12? like the vitamin? I have B12 pills, but I don't think that's gonna work.

Well I guess in a few weeks I'm just gonna suck it up and buy all new stuff. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, and see what happens. I hope it's not a vacuum leak.

BLAZE2099 05-02-2013 06:33 AM

Not the vitamin, go to the auto parts store and ask for it.

Aggro Crag 05-02-2013 06:40 AM

[quote=BLAZE2099;302042]Not the vitamin, go to the auto parts store and ask for it.[/quote]

True I'll check it out.

Aggro Crag 05-14-2013 11:03 PM

I guess they don't sell that b12 stuff in Japan.
I replaced the fuel pump and filter and it's happening less. I also cleaned the MAF, after that I drove it for an hour with no issues. I'm going to go for a cruise this afternoon and see how it's running.
when I get paid on the 31st I'll get new spark plugs. any recommendations?

LW_Black4 05-15-2013 11:52 AM

[B]I'd try to find a mechanic/shop that knows performance Subarus and take it to them with it's symptoms.[/B] This approach will save you $ in the long run.

It'll be good to develop a relationship with a shop that you trust like this going forward anyway, as you'll eventually need their help for other work.

Aggro Crag 05-17-2013 12:40 AM

[quote=LW_Black4;304874][B]I'd try to find a mechanic/shop that knows performance Subarus and take it to them with it's symptoms.[/B] This approach will save you $ in the long run.

It'll be good to develop a relationship with a shop that you trust like this going forward anyway, as you'll eventually need their help for other work.[/quote]

You're right... I can do basic stuff in front of my apartment, but I don't have a full tool set here. So it would be beneficial to find a shop nearby that knows a thing or two about subarus.
I've had the car for two years now and it's been pretty problem free considering how old it is.