hello - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

tek1255 is an unknown
hello

Hey guys whats up im new to this forum and i ahve been doing my research and i have come up with nothing but opinion. First off, I am here cause my friend isnt very active with cars and when I took a look at his engine, i almost crapped myself cause there are so many things going on all over the place. He went for an oil change and they ripped him off like crazy draining fluids and doing there infamous "flush" which is total bs. So they told him, we will replace your air filter for $20 plus labor. He called me and told me this and I told him to tell them no cause i know he has a WRX and WRX are straight quality.
So ive been looking at different drop in filters becuase i have read that CAI and SRI are not programmed right for the car. Not sure if I am saying this right but what i have read, the turbo is geared basically for style of intake that comes with the car. By getting a CAI or SRI you will end up throwing the turbo off and resulting in less hp and torque ( please forgive me and educate me properly haha). Anyway, I've heard that K&N are good and some say bad. I've read stay stock cause subaru knows what they are doing. I've read go with green or perrin. Can anyone clear any of this up for me??

Thanks

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
yeah, the stock subaru air filter is good for like, a bazillion miles. (50-100k). It also is not very restrictive. There's no reason to change it on a stock turbo.

Any drop in filter won't mess anything up though, they all just don't do much different. Many are washable so they have unlimited miledge but then again they cost more than the stock one so it would take quite a few go around to pay for itself.

The problem with many aftermarket intakes is they mess with the MAF sensor. Using a CAI often changes the diameter of the pipe the MAF reads from and creates more turbulent airflow which can throw it off. Again, there's nothing to be gained here performance wise. The stock unit can handle the stock turbo pretty well.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD