Boo's build journal and introduction - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 05-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Well, last night I put in work on the ol' gal until 3 am. I usually have 2 vehicles so that I don't have to rush on installs or worry About the wrx being down but, my truck has been down for quite some time because of lost parts in the mail. Gotta love the usps I didn't get to snap as good of pictures or take my time and pay close attention to details because of this.

Last nights installs were all killer B mototsports goodies. I picked up their oil baffle and oil pickup a while ago but have been waiting until my oil change was due to install. If any of you aren't familiar with subaru's oil pick up failures you should do a search and read up on it. The factory unit is just thin metal that has been brazed at the joint between the tube and head. Some folks have had it crack and cause catastrophic damage due to oil starvation. The killer B unit is nice and thick with beautiful tig welds. It has extra bracing compared to the stock unit and a dog house shaped head instead of flat so that if your pan got pushed up into the pick up it won't starve the engine of oil. The hardest part of the whole install was breaking the seal between the oil pan and block. Subaru don't use a gasket, they use sealant. I went back with the same subaru 3 bond that is used from the factory. The engine mounts also gave me a little bit of a hassle going back into position after jacking the engine but, it was nothing a big pry bar couldn't fix. I was really happy I went with a oil pressure gauge in my set-up because it helped ease my mind of all post install worries when I saw all pressure was still dead on point.

Next was a killer B polished black derlin sphere shift knob. I actually won this piece from them in a Facebook contest. When I received it in the mail I was not uber impressed. After I threw it on though I can really see and feel the quality of this knob. It makes rowing through the gears much more enjoyable.

Here's the few crappy pics I did have time to snap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Images

arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Here's a pic of my free budget winter wheels. I plan on having them repainted with a automotive (not rattle can) base/clear gloss black. This will be my first ever dedicated winter set. I usually run continental DWS all seasons. Im probably going a little overboard for Tennessee winters (nobody here runs dedicated winter tires) but, f*%k it! Now I just gotta get some tires. I know they are ugly but the price was right.

Attached Images

arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#48 Old 07-08-2014, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
personally, I like the stenciled 8-spoke look
boo-key bear likes this.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#49 Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, that's rust spots from the hubcaps. I have started preping them for paint already. They are gonna get professiinally primed and painted black by a good friend of mine who does it for a living.

No real progress to note, just wanted to share a pic of my new tuner. He's my little buddy and gets it out there right beside me any time work is being put in on the car. I am interested in seeing pics and hearing about how others get the kids into the car scene (somebody start a thread). We also washed her up, and took my front lip off fir some refinishing because it has really been getting scraped up. Now that its off, I can't see myself ever not having one. It just looks goofy to me without it.

Attached Images

arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#50 Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Ups man came bearing gifts today.

Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#51 Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#52 Old 07-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Got the finishing touches to my brake system a few days ago. I now have Stoptech SS brake lines (installed), Stoptech pads for all four corners (not installed), Stoptech drilled rotors for all four corners (not installed), Grimmspeed master cylinder brace (freshly installed tonight), ATE super blue racing brake fluid (in there now), factory 4/2 pot brakes which are better than regular WRX brakes but not as good as the STI brembo's & my current hawk brake pads all around (waiting to wear out).

I'm just waiting for my current hawk pads to wear out before I install the Stoptech rotors and pads. I think they are gonna last through the winter so, I'm trying to hold off until spring to install them but, it's hard because I cant wait to see the bling factor those cross drilled rotors bring. By fall i should have a set of aftermarket wheels and some nice sticky summer tires to go with them so, it will be worth the wait. I know the stoptech pads are a downgrade from the hawk's but, i don't do enough hard driving to be able to tell the difference or justify the price difference.

I sanded my new to me steel wheels down and got them all prepped for paint but, my painter backed out. Now I have to find a cheap and durable alternative! Open to suggestions here guys!

Tonight I put the Grimmspeed MC brace on during my lunch break. It took me about 45 minutes. I couldn't really tell a difference in pedal feel but again, I dont drive hard enough to really know. It is a nice piece though as always with grimmspeed. Here are some pics because i know without them it didn't happen....hahaha!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#53 Old 07-25-2014, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#54 Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Got some freebies today. The newly released red radiAtor and alternator shrouds from killer B.

I think they add a nice touch but wish the red matched the STI intake manifold a little better.

Also ordered up a few other things today

Attached Images

sleepr likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#55 Old 08-09-2014, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
looks good!

Freebies you say?

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
#56 Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post
looks good!

Freebies you say?
Thank you.
Yep, freebies. Its not who you know, it's who you blow

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#57 Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
oh snap!

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
#58 Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Just kidding man. I figured Randy was gonna chime in with something like that to bust my balls so, I was gonna beat him to the punch. Him and some of the others seem to think I've got an obsession with Killer B just cause I've won a few things off of them. I got the shift knob by making up their slogan for their knobs and the shrouds in a scavenger hunt. They do make some awesome products. Maybe one day I'll have one of their headers.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#59 Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Got to see the UPS man today! He brought me some black closed end Muteki SR35 lug nuts and locks. I know these are not the best of lugs but, they are descent. I only plan on using them for my winter set-up. In January I plan on going all out with a set of 18" wheels (considering Enkie kojin or rpf1), some nice sticky tires, and the best of the best Kics lug nuts to top it all off

Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#60 Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Finally finished painting my winter wheels. They look much better than they did back in post #47. Not bad for free. They just need to make it through one season and then I will replace my tires on my stock wheels with winter tires. I've got something special coming for summer

Attached Images

sleepr likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!