2002 wrx= first car:) hood questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

knobbywrx is an unknown
Garage
2002 wrx= first car:) hood questions

hi guys,
i have a 2002 wrx that is my baby and is recently got backed into!Cry! looking into a carbon fiber hood and i wanted to know if anyone out there knows if you can put an OEM hood scoop on a carbon creations hood?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage

Why not this?? Seibon OEM style

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1361289367.124237.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  81.5 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#3 Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

knobbywrx is an unknown
Garage
ive looked into seibon hoods and truely i just cant afford them. i already have a 4 inch carbon scoop on the steel hood that i wanted to put on the new one
#4 Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Garage

Their's is $480 though right? With only $280 for a gap you'd prob spend that in fabrication, and also have a product that'll most likely have some type of ill effect from the fabrication ie: water damage, cracking in clear coat due to no support underneath for the scoop, or worst. Plus their hoods most certainly yellow out and will have clear coat problems like most off brands of Seibon. I'm totally for fabrication to set ourselves apart and never like to tell an OP what should and shouldn't be installed on THEIR car (cause I hate when people do it to me lol) but I'd just hold tight and go Seibon when you can save enough. I def wanna see some pics if you go your route though. Good luck OP

#5 Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Riot, Seibon is an off brand and their parts don't even come clear coated, you have to do that yourself. They will yellow just as all CF hoods will.

Careful OP. CF hoods are a lot of maintenance. They yellow and wear. And you're going to have to add the cost of clear coating to whatever you get (some come with it already done, but for the sake of upkeep you want it professionally redone before installation.

knobbywrx, the stock hood is aluminum, and actually slightly lighter than most of the faux carbon fiber hoods on the market.
#6 Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Garage

I've had 2 Seibon hoods and neither yellowed after 6+ years with both of them. No cracking, no air bubbles, no problems at all. Seibon hoods def come clearcoated too. Sure clear coating it professionally wouldn't hurt but it def doesn't need to be done right away that's for sure, or at all IMO. Not sure where you got your info but mine is first hand. Just curious...who's Seibon an off brand of?

#7 Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Garage

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1361296369.185996.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  143.1 KB

#8 Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Garage

If you're referring to VIS btw those things are JUNK lol! I bought and sold 2 of them before even installing for my RSX cause of air bubbles and cracking right out of the box. Again, just what I've had for experience first hand.

#9 Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
I've had 2 Seibon hoods and neither yellowed after 6+ years with both of them. No cracking, no air bubbles, no problems at all. Seibon hoods def come clearcoated too. Sure clear coating it professionally wouldn't hurt but it def doesn't need to be done right away that's for sure, or at all IMO. Not sure where you got your info but mine is first hand. Just curious...who's Seibon an off brand of?

They come gel coated, not clear coated. Surprisingly the general observation has been the opposite of your experiences. VIS seems to be decently longer lasting while Seibon is the quickest to degrade.

Seibon is an off-brand as none of their parts are original. They are copies of other brands products.
#10 Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage

I guess to each their own then. All I know is the VIS hoods I got had no exoskeleton like both my Seibon hoods and were littered with air bubbles and hairline cracks. And Seibon's website states it's clear coat as you can all see in my pic posted. I'm thinking someone should call a lawyer lol! Either way there's always supporters and protesters of every brand out there. All I can say is I boycot VIS lol! Good luck Though either way you go OP

Last edited by the RIOT act; 02-19-2013 at 02:56 PM.
#11 Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Either way, CF body parts should be painted anyways. :P
#12 Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you get a CF hood then might as well spend the extra and get the scoop to match.
IMO.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#13 Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Of course the unpainted CF hood is heavier than your stock hood. Painting it makes that problem worse. You are slowing your car down by spending money on added weight with no functional purpose. Put a vinyl wrap on it if you want some crazy look, they're light and cheap and can be taken off when you grow out of adolescence.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#14 Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Either way, CF body parts should be painted anyways. :P
LOL...agreed...agreed! No more CF for me no matter what brand. Cause no matter what they'll all eventually cause headaches. Any headache costing $650+ is one I'd rather go without lol!

#15 Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

knobbywrx is an unknown
Garage
so VIS hood are or are not junk? i only plan on running it in the summer months and the car gets washed/waxed weekly, will they last or should i just bite the bullet on the seibon one?