2002 Wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan Kelly is an unknown
2002 Wrx

Hey everyone, I have had my WRX for about a year now and wanted to start upgrading and getting some stuff for it. Me being new to the forums and all about this car where is the best place to start first? Just wanted to see if I could get some help on what to do and what would be the best way to start upgrading my car. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2008, 05:13 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
welcome! The best place to start is some engine management and some exhaust work. The stock downpipe is very restrictive and also a good tune can do wonders for the car. If you're still on RE92 tires (they came stock on your car), you can improve the car a lot just by changing them.

Avoid intakes, Blow off Valves, and other modifications you're not familiar with. Remember too that just because somebody SELLS an aftermarket part for your car doesn't mean it HELPS anything. Some of them are even power reducers that are damaging for the car.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Welcome to the club, and +1billion to what Mosc said. Just search and read about what other people have done successfully.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan Kelly is an unknown
Haha thanks a lot guys, now say I wanted to start on my exhaust, is there any thing specific to look for, and should I buy parts online or is it better to go to places around where I live?
#5 Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 PM

Garage
if you can install yourself, it's better to buy online. If you need some help, you probably just want to buy the parts through the shop that's doing the work.

With exhaust, the key is a bellmouth downpipe. You can get them catted or non-catted. It's personal preference.

Don't underestimate the value of a re-tune. You can not only improve performance with it but ADD mpg and make the car a lot smoother (thus make it last longer). Did I mention it adds gobs of low end?

#6 Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan Kelly is an unknown
ok thanks is there a big difference between catted or non-catted?
#7 Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Garage
$100 added cost for the cat, no stink coming from your tailpipe, and the happy feeling that you're not polluting. That's about it. It does not really cost hp on near-stock setups, no.

#8 Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan Kelly is an unknown
ok sounds great I think im going to take my car to a shop over the weekend and see if I can get a tune up maybe to get started then maybe ask about what I can do with the exhaust thanks again.
#9 Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
If you're looking into downpipes, i'd look into the Invidia bellmouth downpipe, it's my personal preference. Get a downpipe and a COBB Accessport, and you'll be VERY satisfied...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#10 Old 05-14-2008, 04:21 PM

Garage
NVM, I'll PM you subeast...

#11 Old 05-14-2008, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan Kelly is an unknown
so your saying to pick up something like this?

Invidia Exhaust Down Pipe Subaru Impreza WRX / STi 2002-UP
#12 Old 05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Yes pretty much, you don't have to go with Invidia, i'm just saying, that's the one i like.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#13 Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Garage
There are easily a dozen other brands out there that make high quality parts. I have nothing bad to say about Invidia mind you, I'm just not going to preach one brand over another to you. It does you a disservice.

I'm a mod here and I've owned both a WRX and now an STi and I'm not completely useless with a wrench. I've also dealt with several different tuning shops who specialize in working on Subarus and I can tell you: There is nothing special about Invidia or any other downpipes. I'm sorry if that's not as direct as Subeast's research experience telling you that Invidia is better than the rest.

#14 Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan Kelly is an unknown
ok yeh I hear ya, I'm just really not the greatest with stuff like this. Just trying to get ideas on how to start to upgrade my car. My cousin races a lot on the tracks with his car and I kinda wanna try to put my own car together without him knowing that way I can give him a surprise haha but thanks again. Now are there more things to get for the exhaust this is not the only thing to get right?
#15 Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Well you can always get some sort of cat-back exhaust too, but usually most people tell me that it's just for sound. Oh, one more thing is the UpPipe, supposedly it's safer to get a catless UpPipe, but theres no power gain from it.

Oh, and I never said Invidia was the best i just like it the best, price wise and everything.

edit- If you're going to be racing on the tracks, you might want to (as mosc stated) get upgraded tires. I personally love Falken tires. I have Falken's on my Jetta, and my buddy has Falkens on his tC. They work very well. You can always get BF Goodrich KDW g-force, or bridgestone, or whatever, I just have had (finally I have had personal experince with something ) with Falkens and I love them! Even my all-season ZE-912 tires are pretty damn sticky! My friend's tC has the Azenis RT-615s, which are track tires, which i would recommend for track racing, and also street use, they are a nice all-around tire.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi