Wanting to race - Subaru WRX Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Wanting to race

So we all think we are the greatest drivers around but when u get on a track with other drivers that are equal, it really makes you see where you sit.
I have lost many runs and won the same. but no matter how bad the beat was i still keep moving on.
So here is my question? how would I go about getting into rally? where would a good starting point be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Road rally or off road rally?

Here is your local SCCA chapter's page on road rally: http://www.calclub.com/roadrally.php
#3 Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
off road
#4 Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
First prepare the bank account for a major shock. I did rally for a few years and it gets very expensive very quickly. I'd highly suggest doing some rally cross events locally to get your feet wet.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
I've done very similar things to it in my camaro. but how do I start getting sponsored so it doesn't hit my account?
#6 Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
That's not how it works. You get sponsors by being good at what you do. People who have sponsorships build/fix their cars on their own dime first and then get financial assistance after showing what they are capable of. Nobody is just going to come up to you and offer you something for nothing. Even then, you're just getting small discounts, not free parts.
#7 Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you get sponsored when you want to put names on your car in exchange for nearly nothing in terms of deferred cost. It doesn't hit your bank account anymore when you start consistently winning.

The real way to get into racing cheaply is to do kart racing. You are under the impression that people learn to drive rally on a rally car. That's not really correct. It's more like professional race car drivers learn to drive rally on a rally car. You are not a professional race car driver. You seem to want to skip that step. It's a big step, filled with lots of racing on things with wheels that aren't very exciting on their own but promote a more level playing field for people to work on their skill and gall rather than express their fantasies.

Or, you know, be a rich guy and just pay to do whatever you want in whatever you want to do it in. There's even whole associations set up to facilitate your... hobby.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 08-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Yeah my wife was going to help me get into kart racing locally but I didn't think that would really get me out there, I guess she is right(that is why she is the level headed one of us two haha) so kart racing is the place to start even though it is so small?
#9 Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
That's actually where a huge percentage of professional race car drivers come from. They get their starts via karting.
#10 Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
oh wow well then karts here I come haha!
#11 Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
F1 Boston! Go there all the time, and its gonna be the end spot for my Fall Mountain Run. We'll see who's who

And Nate, unless some secret admirer left you 6+ figures I'd stick to Karting brotha lol! I think we'd all like to do some rally though I feel you there...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#12 Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Even grassroots rally start up cost is a lot of money. Its staggering to know how much some of these guys blow just to be privateer and some of the guys are still very good at it. I've talked to a few at Rally America events...big boy stuff after you work your way out of the small SCCA and NASA regional stuff. Its crazy if you don't have someone with deep pockets helping you or lots of sponsors how much it costs to actually just get to and from one event to another.

You could just be co-founder of DC shoes and make internet videos showing everyone how awesome you are on take 114 of the same corner. Oh wait...I've said too much. !Laugh!
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
No one in the world drives like KB though lol! I love his videos honestly.

Gymkhana is now in the Xgames for those who don't know. Been watching it as much as possible! 👍

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#14 Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
F1 Boston! Go there all the time, and its gonna be the end spot for my Fall Mountain Run. We'll see who's who

And Nate, unless some secret admirer left you 6+ figures I'd stick to Karting brotha lol! I think we'd all like to do some rally though I feel you there...

lol Hey i don't care what she looks like if she is giving me 6+ figures haha who knows, maybe my biz will take off and I can have my own rally team (Anyone want to buy a tv, cellphone, ipad, labtop, Ect.. lol)
#15 Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
No one in the world drives like KB though lol! I love his videos honestly.

Gymkhana is now in the Xgames for those who don't know. Been watching it as much as possible! ��

Ken Block <--only replace the horse with Ken Block
BLAZE2099 and Nathan21 like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...