Subaru WRX Forum banner

You guys drive me nuts!

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  9d2TSi 
#1 ·
All you WRX STI guys suck. :D I mean that in a good way, just ribbing ya'll a little bit.

My name is Garrett and I've raced my car at Noble a bunch of times this summer and theres a couple of guys in WRX STI's that are out of control. I have a 67 Mustang with a 347 stroker on N2O. Big slicks, built C6, built and spooled 9 inch. Basically a drag car, hell I can't even drive the thing on the street anymore. When I started this summer I had the car in the 11's. After many weeks of tweaking, tuning, practicing, etc. I finally ran a best of 9.98 in the quarter. :)

Heres where I get frustrated. I guess theres an STI club in the area and theres 3 guys with these cars. They must really know how to use this technology because the first time I was out there one of em ran a 10.5. Pretty darn good, I was impressed. The other guys ran in the 12's I think. Anyway fast forward a few weeks and I'm in the pits tweaking my nitrous set up and these guys are next to me standing around a silver car with a lap top on the roof. Out of curiosity I go over to see whats up. They're setting their car up for drag racing. With a lap top computer! Holy cow. There was a blue STI that I happened to line up on. I figured with my dedicated drag car I'd smoke him. It was close, that was the day I ran a 9.98 and he ran a 9.36!

This is the part that really gets me. I was loading up my car on the hauler to take it home and these guys are in the pits with their lap top detuning their cars for the drive home. The guy in the blue car ran a 9.36 and was able to drive to and from the track!

Anyway I just thought I'd drop in and check this out. I will grudgingly admit that I now have an immense amount of respect for you young tuner guys. I used to think it was all stickers and fart can exhausts but these car owners showed me it can be more than that. What was really cool is that they were down to earth guys and were willing to pop hoods and explain to me what they got. I also enjoyed watching them line up on Mitsubuishi Lancer Evolutions, another very, very, fast import. That was some of the closest racing I had seen all day.

Keep up the good work guys (if you're on this forum) and thanks for showing an old dog new tricks. If I ever decide to go import the WRX is on my short list. Those Evolution owners had a bad superiority complex and really looked down on my carbed car. Not cool. I hope all STI owners share such a sportsman like attitude as the 3 guys I met this summer. !Thumbs Up

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, this is a great post. It's nice to see a different enthusiast (domestic car guy) come in and congratulate Subie owners (import car guys). You don't see that everyday. Let me start by telling you that some of us import guys came from the domestic scene, and probably still have plenty of friends still in that scene. We're the type of guys who don't care what emblem is on your car as long as it's fast. The funny thing is, I've been planning on getting a '67-68 Mustang fastback for years now... I'm not sure when that'll happen, but I'd love to have a taste of both worlds in my garage.

Thanks for stopping in Garrett. I'm sure the comments are appreciated by most. Thank you for paying attention to what these Subarus (and other imports) can actually do. I've met plenty of domestic folks who don't care even after they see the potential - they're too diehard domestic to even be able to appreciate anything outside the realm of American V8s. Nice to see some will actually take the time to sign up on a forum to post some nice comments. ;)

#4 · (Edited)
Ludachris, you don't want a 67-68 Mustang, believe me. They look cool but they're heavy and cut the wind like a brick. It takes a ton of power and a helluva drivetrain to break 10's in one. But they look awesome and people stop and stare. Mine makes 550ish horsepower at the wheels spraying. It takes a ton of $$$$ and time to get that from a 347 inch small block. The biggest money pit is the bottom end, takes a lot of work to get one built that will put up with that kind of stress. I've had it on a dyno several times but it's hard to keep it consistent. A full race motor like what I have is pretty finicky. You wouldn't believe the wear and tear I get a 1/4 mile at a time. If I had a chance to start over (not likely considering what I have in the car) I'd go with a lighter 5.0 Fox body Mustang.

WRXforME, sorry no pics. But you'd know my car if you saw it. It's in primer (painting it navy blue with black racing stripes this winter) with a full cage in it and has a plate on the front that says "SPRAYIN". Also you'd smell the 120 octane race gas a mile away. :D

#5 ·
+1 on that I agree with Luda that is great to see someone come in from a different " world " and say good things on imports. Hey i used to own a 2000 Mustang GT with all kinds of work done to it ( not as much as you got done tho :D ) and I loved the car, wouldnt mind getting me a 2005/06 Roush mustang !Thumbs Up thanks for dropping in and posting.

#6 ·
I'm not into the tuning scene since I dont have money. I drive an 02 wrx stock. My friends that are really into muscle cars make fun of me all the time. Making fun of me for "only" having a 4 cylinder. Its nice to see some muscle guys that respect the guys with smaller engines that are putting down large HP numbers. That was a really good story you posted though and glad to see that you were interested in what they were doing with technology!

#7 ·
I agree, very nice to see someone that has some respect for "us ricers". Also it is good to see someone on here from Oklahoma besides me. Gets kinda lonely on here :)

ALSO, props for picking wrxtuners out of other sites like NASIOC.com. On there they would porbably just make dumb comments and flame your post.

#10 ·
Just like everyone else said, great post. It really is great that you appreciate what we have all done to our cars. You know at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you drive as long as we have fun

#11 ·
My dad had a 1969 Mustang with a 427 Cobrajet with the shaker hood and all that. He had it in a blue color with black trim and he saw my wrx and said it sort of reminded him of his old car he had back then. He was 19 when he had that car and it got stolen before he could even lay waste to 1 set of tires...:notgood:

#12 ·
DragRacer said:
Ludachris, you don't want a 67-68 Mustang, believe me. They look cool but they're heavy and cut the wind like a brick. It takes a ton of power and a helluva drivetrain to break 10's in one. But they look awesome and people stop and stare. Mine makes 550ish horsepower at the wheels spraying. It takes a ton of $$$$ and time to get that from a 347 inch small block. The biggest money pit is the bottom end, takes a lot of work to get one built that will put up with that kind of stress. I've had it on a dyno several times but it's hard to keep it consistent. A full race motor like what I have is pretty finicky. You wouldn't believe the wear and tear I get a 1/4 mile at a time. If I had a chance to start over (not likely considering what I have in the car) I'd go with a lighter 5.0 Fox body Mustang.
Oh I don't know - I wouldn't get it for the 1/4 mile potential. I know they're heavy. But I love the looks and I love the muscle car era in general. I might even consider the 65-66 fastback, but the 67-68 just look meaner.

For 1/4 mile runs and other racing I have my Eclipse for now. Up here in the mile-high state, you need forced induction to run anything respectable. Nothing like revving it to 5k rpm and slipping the clutch - 4 tires spinning :D I'll be taking the car to the dyno for the first time in the next week are two. I'm hoping to get close to 400whp on 91 octane (corrected for altitude). We'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.