WOO-HOO!!! Drag racing Friday - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,017
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
WOO-HOO!!! Drag racing Friday

Well this Friday I'm going to hit the drag strip for the first time since I build this motor. Should be interesting to see how well I do. It's only an 1/8mile track. Just hoping that my luck isn't running out on the trans, but I have faith in the ole' girl to get me down the track at a good pace and then get me home. If not you'll see a post on the destruction I caused...Oh and for the safety aspect of it I am going to be running 104oct on my 93oct tune just because of the heat. At least if it does break I have friends going down that have trailers to haul it home...hahaha

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 07-25-2011 at 05:38 PM.
psinuse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
bad grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 453
Images: 2
bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Cool man. Let us know how she Does :-)

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
bad grocerygetter is offline  
#3 Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
wrx1456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 180
Images: 3
wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
get it on video.
wrx1456 is offline  
#4 Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,158
RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice. The local strip here is only 1/8 too but it's probably a good thing. Less time to break stuff.

Best I could manage was an 8.43.... Fast enough to have to wear a helmet but it was my first time EVER to the track and my runs were getting about .2 better each time.

I bet you're mid 7's if you're a good drag racer. I'm not.

-Chris
RcrsWetDream is offline  
#5 Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
turmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,371
Images: 6
turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Englishtown, NJ or Maple Grove, PA I think are the only 1/4 mile tracks near me and they are both over a hour away. The one in cecil county MD and beaver springs pa...I'm not sure of. I have not gone to either one. I'm surprised at how many places are 1/8th mile tracks though.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
turmic is offline  
#6 Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,970
pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Well this Friday I'm going to hit the drag strip for the first time since I build this motor. Should be interesting to see how well I do. It's only an 1/8mile track. Just hoping that my luck isn't running out on the trans, but I have faith in the ole' girl to get me down the track at a good pace and then get me home. If not you'll see a post on the destruction I caused...Oh and for the safety aspect of it I am going to be running 104oct on my 93oct tune just because of the heat. At least if it does break I have friends going down that have trailers to haul it home...hahaha
That's some faith right there..... lol

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
pzr2874 is offline  
#7 Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,017
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Nice. The local strip here is only 1/8 too but it's probably a good thing. Less time to break stuff.

Best I could manage was an 8.43.... Fast enough to have to wear a helmet but it was my first time EVER to the track and my runs were getting about .2 better each time.

I bet you're mid 7's if you're a good drag racer. I'm not.
Yeah an 1/8 is probably best since I will just be hitting top of 3rd near then end. I have a 8700 redline so I get the advantage of not having to shift as much...hehe I managed a best of 8.24@83mph last time I went and that was with exhaust, injectors, tune and a bigger tmic. If I can't beat that then I just need to not try ever again and hand in my man card....lol I think if your a 7.99 or faster you have to wear a helmet, but I wear one anyways cause you never know. 8.4 isn't to shabby of a time, that's still high 12ish low 13ish in the 1/4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic
Englishtown, NJ or Maple Grove, PA I think are the only 1/4 mile tracks near me and they are both over a hour away. The one in cecil county MD and beaver springs pa...I'm not sure of. I have not gone to either one. I'm surprised at how many places are 1/8th mile tracks though.
Yeah that is about right for here. National trails is an 2hrs. away, but KVD is only an hour. Suck either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874
That's some faith right there..... lol
Just a tad....!Laugh! Scary part is I have raged on this car doing 3rd to 4th gear pulls without issues. I am saying that my luck is probably the only thing holding it together...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is offline  
#8 Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,158
RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Yeah an 1/8 is probably best since I will just be hitting top of 3rd near then end. I have a 8700 redline so I get the advantage of not having to shift as much...hehe I managed a best of 8.24@83mph last time I went and that was with exhaust, injectors, tune and a bigger tmic. If I can't beat that then I just need to not try ever again and hand in my man card....lol I think if your a 7.99 or faster you have to wear a helmet, but I wear one anyways cause you never know. 8.4 isn't to shabby of a time, that's still high 12ish low 13ish in the 1/4.
Yep, I am at about 6k in 3rd gear by the end of the 1/8th. I know the 8.43 was at 86.xx mph but of course that time slip didn't print out so I have no proof. That trap speed tells me I have a lot more time to make up in the launch (2.1 sec 60' FTL).

As for the helmet, I'm not sure if it's just our track but anything 8.52 and faster needs a helmet, which is a mid to low 13 second 1/4.

-Chris
RcrsWetDream is offline  
#9 Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
turmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,371
Images: 6
turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It depends on the track. Most tracks that I've heard of need a roll cage if you break 12 secs 1/4 mile. If you don't wear a helmet or have a roll cage what will they do? Just ban you from the track or just ban you from a run?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
turmic is offline  
#10 Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,017
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
It depends on the track. Most tracks that I've heard of need a roll cage if you break 12 secs 1/4 mile. If you don't wear a helmet or have a roll cage what will they do? Just ban you from the track or just ban you from a run?
I looked it up and the rules state, at least for the tracks I go to, as follows:

1/4 12.99 or faster requires helmet
1/4 11.99 or faster requires roll cage

1/8 8.49 or faster requires helmet
1/8 7.49 or faster requires roll cage

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is offline  
#11 Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
turmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,371
Images: 6
turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Correct, but lets say you are wearing a helmet and pull a 11.95 time slip with out a roll cage. Will they ban you from running again until you get a roll cage installed? Or what? Its not like they will ban you from that track. Would they?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
turmic is offline  
#12 Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,158
RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
They usually tell you to go home....

If you know the car will run faster you can always just let off at the end and coast through.

I did look up the rules at my track and it's 8.59 you need a helmet, 6.99 or 135mph is when you need a cage (if it's a full bodied car you can use just a roll bar).

-Chris
RcrsWetDream is offline  
#13 Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
turmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,371
Images: 6
turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
What do you mean by full bodied? Not a unibody? I know some about the tracks. But, I'm trying to learn here. I might have to hit a drag strip after I get my car back.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
turmic is offline  
#14 Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,017
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just did a google search for wrx roll cages and this thread was the 6th one down....lol

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is offline  
#15 Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
synolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,415
synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
1/4 11.99 or faster requires roll cage

1/8 7.49 or faster requires roll cage
you gotta be kidding. i mean theres 100 cars that can do that. i dont see people with $50,000-$1,000,000 cars messing their car up with a role cage just to be legal.

i mean some cars that can do that would be like a Z06, GTR, CTS-V. some 50 year old dude that has a $80,000 CTS-V isnt gonna add a role cage nor be asked to leave a track. at least not at my tracks. Dave Buschur's 9 sec evo is bone stock yet he runs at the tracks no problem.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
synolimit is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On